Page:
SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
I dont know if anyone has watched Space Cadets on C4 (i was quite reluctant coz it looks so cruel)
Anyway, while watching, getting more annoyed by the second not believing that this was right, i suddenly came up with a thought!

What if the joke was on the viewer and that everyone in it were actors? Like the big hair guy (who apparently isnt one of the actors) looks just like the guy in one of the give blood ads, im not sure.

I mean, you look at what theyre doing and if it were real, totally unaware people, when they find out, wouldnt it be psycologically damaging? and why would the russians send 5ish normal people into space, some of which are queasy and dont even know the order of the planets????!!!!

Just a thought;)

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i spotted a blatent error when i did watch it, some scientist was going on about all the tests they should be doing and mentioned about using a pen in space.

I don't know if anyone knows the story about N.A.S.A. spending millons of dollars developing a pen that would work in zero gravity only for the russans to tell them " we use a pencil"ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I agree with Dave... it is going to be devastating for these people to realise that everything they have believed in for the last few weeks has been a lie (rather similar, I imagine, to someone finding out their marriage has been a sham etc)

I bet the teams of lawyers are rubbing their grubby little hands with every passing day.

Getting to the other side smile

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
That would mess with my head abit. I think i might even cry if i had trained thinking it was real, then told haha its a joke. eek

I think its just plain harsh

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I suspect that Channel Four are playing the odds and working on the assumption that any victims of the deception who do feel conned/suffer mental distress, will be pacified by the huge sums of money they're given.

I'm sure they've also consulted extensively with their own legal teams, and quite possibly found some insurance company who've been willing to give them cover in the event of legal action.

It's also obvious that the 'contestents' have undergone extensive selection procedures, to establish their gullibility: I'm sure that part of the brief for the selectors was to also pick the kind of person who's more liable, when they discover they've been duped, to go along with it as a 'bit of fun'.

Personally, I think the show is-

1. crap- even by the standards of reality TV, it seem to be especially devoid of humour and purpose- even 'Big Brother' was occasionally funny or interesting, 'Space Cadets' just seems totally lacking in anything positive

2.Just plain wrong. The victims of this scam have basically undergone a long-lasting deception based on decieving them into thinking they have achieved a major dream.

I really hope that at least one of them does sue. If they win the case they could well get more cash than is on offer from channel 4, and it should put a stop to similar 'shows' in the future.

As a bonus, perhaps the case could be televised, so the producers can squirm, in full public view, as they get taken down. That's the klind of 'Reality TV' I would like to see.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i think its hillarious biggrin

a bit harsh..........but still hillarious, id be surprised if they took legal action and i rekon they would have signed some sort of contract to say that they agree to be on the show......... etc.

Therfore arses would be coverd, and 5k will keep them happy when they come out - not to mention the fame side of it all and after all were they not put in there because they were "the most gullable" thats not going to change is it!?!

Im not watching it, but i think the idea is funny as biggrin

but thats just me smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think it's hilarious also (from the point of view of - oh my god, look what these people are capable of).

Not Johnny Vaughan, though. He's rubbish.

But I like the idea... let's set up these morons, who are clearly starving for attention and then point out in the harshest possible way that they don't need that kind of attention. Tis a learning curve.

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
if someone was up for a reality tv show, havnt they got to sign a contract stating everything theyll do? sure they can put what the contestants think theyll be doing but doesnt that mean that the contract is a lie? isnt that illigal???
I seriously cant belive that its actually happening (or what we think is happening), i still think its all a hoax on the viewer, and the big haired guy (i think his name is ryan) is definatly the guy from the give blood ad (the one with gordon ramsey)

great outer-space set though, the fake earth looks so pretty!

sunny

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
the contestants signed a contract allowing someone to make decisions for them, they chose a family memeber/friend that they trusted....so thats how they get around some of the legalities

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
oooOOOoooh!

Thats gonna be even more mentally distressing when the find out, putting complete trust in somone like that. frown

that kinda makes it even more fishy, who would do that????

Its gonna be an interesting end, which ever way it goes

sunny

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
My local radio station have said they reckon the joke is on us now as well, and said loadsa things that they thought didn't seem quite right about it- espesh as the "contestants" keep making odd comments about how unreal it all is.

Hows about them joking about being in a simulator last night?? Wierd! I have to say my opinion is changing on this one...

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
excellent! biggrin

im really gald im not the only one who thinks it coz it is a strange, and kinda pointless thing if the hoax was on the viewer.

sunny

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I was watching this last night...

My main thought was... how can they justify spending this much money to fool three people...?!

Hmmm.

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
did anyone remember the launch when the actor guy looks and the camera and says hell blow the whole scam if u dont give me £50'000
now how comes the other participents didnt hear him though there connected mikes?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Well, I thought their mikes weren't connected, as they were all shouting to each other......however, the girl was shooting him some veeeeerry suspicious looks while he was saying it...

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Well... that sure was an anti climax.

"Hey... this is a hoax"
"Oh yeah... so it is"
"Yo... this is a hoax"
"yeah"

Man.... lame!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
bah! so my conspiracy is aparently wrong!

they cant have just laughed it off?? i dont get it! VERY LAME!

sunny

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*lines up SunnySam and Brit_Joe*

shrug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol...

"So then contestants... we shall ease you out of this situation gently (so you can't sue us).
Then we shall remind you of the great time you have had, and how you've experienced something 'none of us ever will' (so you admit on live TV that you had a good time, and can't sue us).
Then we will give you £25,000 (because that's much less than the £2 mill you might have received from a lawsuit)."

Cynical? Me?

biggrin

A happy ending to a reality tv show.... rolleyes

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'd be inclined to agree with Miss Poise

I didn't bother to watch too much of this as it looked too much like big brother gone sci-fi. Heard about the ending though, not at all what I would've hoped for. I was thinking something more like:

Your shuttle is headed straight for the sun
(gradually turn up heating until it is hellishly hot, they all think they're gonners: then)

Ta daaaa! Enter Jeremy Beadle (sorry Johnny Vaughn) champagne, big cheques ribbons etc. going 'you're not really going to die! actually you've just won 25 grand!'

at least the reactions would be more interesting

maybe I'm just being a trifle sadistic. But they could've told them they were going to meet ET or something, see how much they could push it before they figured it out...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: