jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
How do you get your sticks/ poi/ friends lit?

I use a zippo lighter, it lights easier in the wind and you can hold it lit without holding a button down.

"Quote coming soon..."

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I use cheap store bought lighters at the moment, need to buy a new zippo. I go through about 2 a burn, we don't get on very well. Spent about 10 minutes trying to light my staff the other day, ended up quickly dunking a poi then lighting that as it insta-lights at the touch of a flame, then used that to light the staff.

One problem, the amount of paraffin a mega cathedral head swallows just being dunked for a second burns longer than my staff did. I ended up awkwardly playing with both.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
you can get little kerosene containers with a wick, you use these to hold a small flame.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I have a small table lamp that runs on either parafin(s) / lamp oil(s), this burns for the whole evening practice session, this I use for comercial shows, although I have recently obtained a victorian candle holder with a 5" throat into which I've installed kevlar rope, this runs for around 30mins, ideal for shows, since you can snuff it out between lights and relight from props.

mark

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
my wallet is actually a cigerette holder, and it has a built in lighter so i use that

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
I find because I don't smoke and therefore use my Zippo all day that it doesn't light very well. I think they need to be used a lot to work well.

I'm going to get one of those gas torch style lighters, they work all weather, they light your toys super fast and they can be refilled smile Much better than a cheap lighter.

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

DoctaGOLD Member
81 posts

Posted:
Try a candle......works for me smile

Doc smile

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Aren't gas torch type lighters the ones which damage the kevlar? Or I may be getting them confused with another type.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I use one of those cheap bamboo garden paraffin candles most of the time. It cost 2.50 and will stay lit most of the time. Its also refillable and looks cool if you use it as a torch when your walking about 8)

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kieron

Aren't gas torch type lighters the ones which damage the kevlar? Or I may be getting them confused with another type.

If you hold them right up against your wick, perhaps. But if you light a few trailing treads from a distance they are very effective smile You can light toys in the p*ssing rain with a gas torch something that is hard even with a zippo.

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
if you hold them right up to the wick that wouldn't be the hottest part. the hottest part is just at the tip of the flame. so maybe holding it right at the tip of the flame might be it.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
fair enough smile

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i just ate a big red candle!

No, seriously...

i have these big candle looking things called candle lighters (funny enough). it's a steel tube which you fill with parafin and the cap has a wick attached to it...

Otherwise i use a bamboo garden torch.

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
yer i have the big bamboo "flares" theyre good

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i usually just ask somebody cute who already has a lit firetoy to light mine. smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Staffer friend of mine was previosuly a chef, and nicked a blow torch when he left smile
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1139345194)

webdaemonBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
i just get a cheap lighter .50¢ or get my butane or zippo lighter... if using the cheap lighter take the metal cap off and move the flame adjuster thing all the way over... lift the adjuster and position it at the opposite side and put it back in level like how it was before... then move it to the side again like you did before. it looks like this

---> ^^^ <--- \/ \/ \/ ---> do that as many times as needed then you should have a 6-9" flame from those cheap lighters... always fun...

weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley devil devil devil beerchug beerchug ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco censored mad2

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
We have the same problem when spinning on the beach or in very windy area's.

We had a little sherlite (white fuel?) into our mix, that stuff is very flameable. Don't even have to light the light just make a spark against the wick. Be carefull though make sure u have quick hands, so you don't get burnt when it catches, becasue its pretty fast. Woopp Woop Woooooop

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
i use a wind proof torch lighter...the thing rocks my socks...i can solder w\it =P

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
using stuff like blow-torches/torch lighters are bad for your wicks, so I've read.

It causes direct heat to one part of the wick, and is very bad for it. So you can expect wicks to deterioate faster.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Use a solution of Kerosene, and Lamp Oil.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

FireSmurfmember
31 posts

Posted:
I use a heavyduty cigarlighter. No mather weather or wind it do the trick. Butangas stormlighter i think thay are called. (its only bad for the wicks if you keep lighting on the same place)
EDITED_BY: FireSmurf (1140034216)

Thomas Bjork
[Fire Artist]
[clown]

EBabanewbie
10 posts

Posted:
I use what we call marschaller over here- can't come up with a translation. Sort of a heavy-duty candle in a metal shell with some sort of thick fabric wick usually used to highlight gates or paths at parties and such. Cost next to nothing, burn for hours (and are reusable), never go out (even in minus 15 and high winds), and can be placed in pretty patterns around the "stage" if you use severel smile

What we really, really, need is more hours in the day