Forums > Social Chat > On Holidays with Nothing to Do!

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Background: my partner Jordan has never been on holidays before. He's been away with family and whatnot, however he has never spent any longer than a weekend doing nothing. He is constantly plugged into something - internet, computer, mobile phone and gets very, very bored very, very quickly.

We thought it would be a nice idea to go away for a few nights from Boxing Day (26 December). So, being the diligent woman that I am, and listening to Jordan's request that he wanted to "go away and do nothing", I found a lovely place with cabins on a river, with horseriding, bush walking, canoeing & swimming. www.turongates.com No tv, no internet and dubious mobile phone reception.

I'm very much looking forward to reading in a hammock, leisurely strolls & picnic lunches, however Jordan is completely freaking out at how literally I took the concept of "go away and do nothing". Apparently, "nothing" actually means "a relatively quiet town with plenty of activities nearby".... whoops!

I think this time away will be excellent for both of us, however I am seeking advice on what 2 people can do for 4 days (aside from practising making babies, horseriding, canoeing, swimming, etc). We have chess, checkers & jigsaw puzzles and I love to read, however Jordan really isn't quite as content as I am to do those sorts of things.

How do you keep a caffeine addicted insomniac programmer guy happy for 4 whole days in the middle of nowhere!?

HELP! ubbrollsmile

edit: he has no interest in juggling, poi, staff etc... So please don't suggest I teach him!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

How do you keep a caffeine addicted insomniac programmer guy happy for 4 whole days in the middle of nowhere!?

Sex. ubbangel

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Oh wow, the place you chose sounds beautiful!

As for activities I suggest frequent walks and runs and other physical activities ( wink ) to tire him out so he's too tired to freak out about the lack of technology.

Card games, board games. Does he play music? Or do you? If so you could bring a guitar, didge or a drum or something

I hope you two have a great time. It sounds lovely! I could to do with a few days like that! smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
It is a beautiful place, I hope you enjoy it. We lived up the road from there outside Capertee from 1983 to 1993.
You will not want to be doing the road in too often so plan to have all you need with you
You have basically got the activities there nailed, unless fishing appeals to you.
Take some special food and enjoy cooking it together with the time you have available.
Jeff

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the state of programming is alot like meditation perhaps a bit of meditation could be the way to go. oh and massage definately lots of massage is a fun thing to explore with a partner. maybe a good book (something science/technology based id recommend the quantum brain, phantoms in the brain, the golden ratio, robo sapiens evolution of a new species)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Have you thought about just doing Nothing? rolleyes wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
take his laptop

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
What about getting an "ordnance survey" (Not sure what you call them in Aus) map of the area and going on a proper hike one day?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
In a word, lots of exercise lots of "ice cream"

Plan some time cooking, hiking, etc... if he's not ok with even a more thoughtful strategy boardgame (catan, puerto rico, axis and allies, at the bottom of that group: risk) or can't relax with the silly ones, try something more random, like dancing, darts, orienteering... not tiring but skill related.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Oi, mate, long time no see. Get in touch or else. wink

On the holidays idea, the music idea might be a good one. Although I suggest you test it out beforehand. Does he already play an instrument? If he does you are already ahead. If not, maybe you can steer it into conversation "I've always wanted to play the guitar/didg/hairy nosed wombat, what about you?".

You worst day is gonna be the first day. So I suggest you plan a relaxed party day for the two of you. Take some good food to cook, a good bottle of wine, and some decent massage oil. Get him relaxed and blissful, and in the right state of mind for the rest of the holiday.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i'd say play a game of twister (in the nude is optionalubblol), strip poker, drinking games, have fun with alcohol and ice cream or like people say.. have some outdoor fun;)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

I see there are some really cool things nearby...

Check with the nearby Vineyard, se if they're offering any tasting days or whatever around that time.

I saw a 'Glowbug Tunnel' advertised on the website... Myself, I would love to see something like that. But then we don't generally see that sort of thing in England...

I'd also be more than happy to spend so much time just canoeing. Exploring the river would be an amazing holiday for me... Only because I once went canoeing in Florida, and the amount of Different animals I saw was amazing... But again, all the things I saw we don't tend to get here in the UK...

Otherwise, what do you normally do at home during a power cut? Just sit there in the dark and do nothing? (and don't you dare answer 'Chores in the dark!!!' wink )

I saw a photo of a campfire scene in the Gallery on that website... I'd certainly enjoy that...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Thanks all for the fab suggestions smile Gnor - over my dead body! wink

As it turns out, the cabin had been double booked and therefore we are not staying there. Which is a shame, as I had started to enjoy the concept of the challenge involved in the situation.

Anyway, we've now got accommodation (with TV sadly) on the coast, so lots of swimming, attempted surfing, snorkelling and other such activities await us. Jordan is much happier with this arrangement. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm sure he could still have fun exploring the "local" tunnelsubblol

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

i'm sure he could still have fun exploring the "local" tunnelsubblol

To be sure. Although given the longevity of our relationship (nearly 4 years), I think the length and depth of the local tunnels have already been mapped. No GPS required. ubbrollsmile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

7,193 posts

Posted:
are you sure he hasn't found any local "gushers" their ALWAYS fun to experience ubblol tongue

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Dude, Please.

Leave it out.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
(hehehee - ravehead just took it that one step too far, didn't he?)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
You could play "house."

You could be the mommy and he could be the daddy and your dollies could be the childeren and your kitty could be the baby. Or you could mix it up just for the fun of it.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ampersand

You could play "house."

You could be the mommy and he could be the daddy and your dollies could be the childeren and your kitty could be the baby. Or you could mix it up just for the fun of it.

I'm moderately disturbed by those suggestions. ubbrollsmile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ ed getting all upset by the double entendres hug

has he ever tried poi or sticks?
i hear they're good for passing some time...
otherwise a combination of peyote, absinthe and this thing would easily pass a few hours.

is it obvious yet that i have no idea of how to entertain your boyfriend miss flash...?

hope you both have a splendid time ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
confest, it's in NSW!! best place to do nothing, or someone.

or perhaps a meditation retreat with samuraijack!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always