Page:
RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
ubbloco I don't know if the following is depressing or not, but I am looking at my toaster in a new light ubblol

The first users of tools were not men – a fact appreciated only in the last year or two – but prehuman anthropoids; and by their discovery they doomed themselves. For even the most primitive of tools, such as a naturally pointed stone that happens to fit the hand, provides a tremendous physical and mental stimulus to the user. He has to walk erect; he no longer needs huge canine teeth – since sharp flints can do a better job – and he must develop manual dexterity of a higher order.

These are the specifications of Homo sapiens; as soon as they start to be filled, all earlier models are headed for rapid obsolescence. To quote Prof. Sherwood Washburn of the University of California’s anthropology department: “It was the success of the simplest tools that started the whole trend of human evolution and led to civilisations of today.”

Note that phrase – “the whole trend of human evolution.” The old idea that man invented tools is therefore a misleading half truth; it would be more accurate to say that tools invented Man. They were very primitive tools, in the hands of creatures who were little more than apes. Yet they led to us – and to the eventual extinction of the ape-man who first wielded them.

Now the cycle is about to begin again, but neither history or prehistory ever exactly repeats itself, and this time there will be a fascinating twist in the plot. The tools that the ape-man invented caused them to evolve in to their successor, Homo sapiens. The tool we have invented in the latter part of the twentieth century is our successor. Biological evolution has given way to a far more rapid process – technical evolution. To put it bluntly and brutally, the machine is going to take over.

“Greetings carbon – based Bipeds”
Arthur C. Clarke

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
A super hero twirler in spandex, what could you name him/her wow biggrin

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Perhaps we should start the spandex challenge.

No. We really shouldn't. REALLY shouldn't. rolleyes

See my previous post... biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
No, we really shouldn't. Just remember I never said it would look pretty biggrin

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
oh oh! anyone seen ghost in the Shell 2? a top anime look at the complexities of ethics and morals in relation to cyborg, transhuman, virtual, simulated and artificial intelligence. A bit hard to follow and very Japanese. I think I might need to see it a few times to really get it fully.

Beautiful artwork too.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I've seen it but only once and on a laptop monitor and can't remember much (there was a dobermann).

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Page: