AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
okay, this is stemming from talljuggler's post in the religeon thread. he said that he read somewhere that most fire spinners fall into one of four groups: punk-rockers, ravers, goth, and something else that i forgot lol. anyway, i was just curious as to what everyone here felt they were. this is of course a subjective question, but i'm just curious.for myself i would say i am probably a mix between raver, gothic, and metal-head, nerd. i listen to mostly christian music (there is actually a whole underground scene for this stuff, some great goth and metal, but havent found a whole lot of trance and house stuff) i go to alot of raves, and alot of concerts, i like to mosh and dance and spin and all sorts of stuff. i also am big on computers, i am taking html, and am considering going into graphic design or website design when i grow up (i would have called it techie, but i dont know how to spell it so i went with nerd lol, perhaps its tekkie, hmmm, who knows). when it comes to physical appearance, i usually look like either a raver or a punk, i wear alot of bright clothes (i make my own pants), and alot of dark clothes, but not too much "normal" stuff. and i pretty much find anything that can be considered origional to be interesting. ie, i have an FBI raid jacket, and carry briefcase around school that i keep handcuffed to me between classes for cool points smile anyway, i dont really have a specific class, most of my friends that i hang out with could be considered "punks" into the hxc scene, but i also have alot of preppie friends from school, and raver friends from coffee houses. i dont really have a set group of friends, i suppose im just a big schmorgisboard (however it's spelled)how about y'all, what are your influences? what class systems do you think you fall under, what groups of people do you hang out with, your fav styles of music, etc. i guess basically tell me a little about yourselves.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i never really attempted to place myself in a catagory. i'm not one for doing that cause there is to much stereotyping in society and i feel everyone is there own person, some just chose to follow others closer when it comes to style, hence the reason there are cliques. but since everyone has been cool on here about topics such as religion i dont feel weird about anyone judging me. so here we go:my style is considerd raver, punk, skater. i was always inventing new hair doos or new combinations of clothes. i'm very very boyish. i rarely dressup but on occations you might catch me in a long skirt and a baby T. of course the skirt is with boots, so even still i tend to lean towards punky when it comes to dressin up. my fav band in the entire world is no doubt. they are my gods. i'm not going to go into why they are cause it's very in depth. i'm mainly listen to punk/ska, and trance/electronica. i do enjoy swing also. i attend as many raves as i can find and afford and find transportation to for i am without a car frown . i'm going to school for Computer art. i'm very into computers whether it be games or graphics. my life goal is to see no doubt in concert, cause like i said i have no transportation and they rarely play anywhere close to where i am frown. i'm the middle child and also the odd ball. although my younger sister is picking up on a little bit of my style. i love her to death. i'm wondering if any of you out there have any piercings or tattoos? i have a tattoo of a monkey hanging by it's tail on a branch on my lower back. i'm a monkey fanatic. i collect them. i also have my navel and tongue pierced.happy twirling, P.L.U.R------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
We could probably get some inflammatory responses here too! Here is my go. I wouldnt consider myself any of those classes. If it HAD frown to be any of those it would be raver, because my music of choice is purely electronic leaning towards ambient/drum n bass. Yet I dont prescribe to the rave way of life. I am just me. Have many hobbies, many more aspirations, am basically a floater, I distance myself from "society" and dont care. I dont feel a part of any of those "groups". smile I tried, but it was just so cold. I go by instinct. If you are cool, I chill with you. Doesnt matter religion, sex, ethnicity, social class, interests. I have it! Vagabond! Thats me! ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
On the Tat/Piercing tip, Girl, I had several piercing in each ear, my lebray with a spike, and a hoop off to the side. No tats, but I am currently thinking and making designes for a partial body suit. I want to design it completely. Special parts of it I will have done in indiglo ink which I am very excited about. grin------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think the article was one posted in a thread here ever so long ago. For me, I don't fit into any category. I can't even begin to aside from this...I am moody so everything about me changes on a whim from what movies I like to how I dress to my mode of speech even.......Oh...and yes to tats and piercings......------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 19 April 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
It is great to see that ppl here are not stereotypical. Stereotyping and censorship seems to be what destroys art nowadays, my friends and I had a discussions about this about a week ago. Enjoy art for what it is wether it be on canvas or on stage.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Red, I'm that kid in high school that gets "most individualistic" All the pretty people respect me for my unique qualities, but i still never got invided to their parties, lol grinGFM and I are pretty much the same as far as a "catergory" she's my better half.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I consider myself closest to be a punk skater. My friends however cover all sorts of social stereotypes. Goths, Punks, Skaters, Trendy, practical the whole spectrum but it is this diversity which keeps my group of friends so fresh and each person brings something to the group.I used to be in a group which were all goths but there was not enough open-mindedness in the group to accept any other kind of values into the group. It is this which eventually drove us all apart. As each person grows there values change and this situation caused the split, but in my current circle of friends this kind of growth is encouraged and respected. smileJez

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Bobmember
8 posts

Posted:
I don't really feel like i belong to any particular group. I listen to electronic music, I dress closest to skatery (but not all that close), and i am kind of nerdy when it comes to computers. I spent most of my life fighting to fit in (yes i know, it was a sad sad time), but i geuss i just stopped caring eventually and here i am. My biggest hobbies are poi, juggling, studying Dante, and playing with computers. My friends come from all different groups and i like it that way. I also must add that the people on this board are the most open-minded group that i've ever encountered, its nice to be able to share things without worry of being judged. smile

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
tee hee. N8, you can come to *my* parties! and you can bring your martian, too. smileand since i'm posting, depending on who i'm around - ie, which facet of my personality is reflecting just at the moment - i guess they'd call me a goth-punk-grrl-scadian-geek-witch-farmer-dyke-bitch-wife-dom-renfairechick-freak. they'd be leaving stuff out, but they prolly wouldn't care.i guess about the only thing i'm easily identifiable as is *NOT* a raver. or a hippy. though i guess the farm sort of puts me precariously close to looking like one.mostly, i'm a katja-person.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
sorry, i didnt realize anyone would worry about being stereotyped. (although it does happen 2 me a bit w/ ppl who dont know me very well) anyway, i dont have any piercings or tattoo's, i am thinking about getting a hoop on my hand, between my thumb and index finger about an inch up from the webbing area. i also thought it would be cool to get a spider tattoo, but my goth and raver qualities conflift here smile i have to decide if i want like a black widowish spider, or a really bright colorful spider. i also thought it would be cool to get branded. actually i think about this sort of thing alot, and have all these cool ideas, like getting barbells all along your wrist so that it looks like you have a ball-chain bracelet on but really its piercings, or getting a black line tattoo'd around your neck like a choker, and then getting it pierced in the front middle so you could hang things on it and have it look like a necklace. anyway, cool beanz y'all

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
webbing of hand...uhm ouch!just some places you shouldnt get pierced...! smilePere

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
ykaterina, smile Thank you very much. I would be honored to attend your parties. I'm sure the martian would as well.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
outcast with phoenix. it's not so bad. there's a bunch of us, we stick together...though most of them are hypochondriacs, we keep em in line, or ignore them when they're bein too uptight-weird. and...i love them all dearly. that's all i got to say. :-)

Phoenix1221member
14 posts

Posted:
yes we are deffinately the outcasts. no one else bothers us and we like it that way because many of the people in our school are very narrow minded and egotistical.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
*word* to that sister. smile

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
LOL, Yeah angelfood.Say word. grin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
i try not to place myself in any group (like shibaki). When i started getting into poi i was raving, and bmx'ing and skating a fair bit. And as a result you can see it in my cloths, Its a weird look, a cross of hippie raving skater. Since i've realised that its not about how your cloths look but, to me its how functional they are. I still wear my baggies (with large pockets that hold my poi grin and other tat, headphones etc-i DJ ) I do now for want of a better quote: "live fully rave wholly" (cheers N8 tongue ) I'm gonna stop pratlling on now, Shibaki said it all. tongue

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I have always gone with the sayng " If you Lable Me, You Negate Me" Me, I like all sorts of Music. smile I love getting down with James Brown and Macio Parker, cool I Chill with Miles Davis, Groove with Dave Mathews. wink I have a special Love For Ani Difranco, and Tori Amos. tongue I listen to Phish and the Dead, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, Chey Popn' Dadys and Squerl Nut Zippers. grin I have a wide range that spans from Blues and Jazz to Heavy Metal and Techno.I have two Tattoos, one disigned buy Cat Stevens (one of my all time favoite music makers grin), and a Celtic knot, simblizing the inner woven friendship i have with my closest Friends. I don't Lable, and wish not to be, Because I am My SELF, and no one elts. SkiChristian(ps TV's (cable/satilight) change people into something their not! ex: MTV, and VH1 are FAKE, and not true to ones SELF) Be You, your SELF, and keep Spinning smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Hear hear Shibaki. I'll join ya on that one.I know two ppl who got branded. I looked at their crispy scars and shuddered. Maybe it comes from growing up around horses but I still think branding should be mainly for livestock! Unless you are a member of some tribe that does it in some kind of spiritual ritual then I suppose I could see it having a purpose. But then again almost everyone I know has some kind of tattoo or piercing. (bar me =) Each to their own.A friend saw a girl who was pierced just above her collar bone in the front of her neck (where you can grab a tiny bit of excess skin). He said it looked like it would never heal properly, looked cumbersome and awkward and couldn't understand what some ppl would do to make themselves look 'more beautiful' HA!

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
well i am glad that i can say i am me and no one else.but i guess thats the case for everyone? (what drugs am i on?)Well i am also glad to say that i dont look like everyone else and thats good because who wants to be normal thats boring....peaceKT

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i totally agree about the mtv vh1 thing. i get so frustrated when i watch them, the only thing i like is the music video ones like vh1 country soul classical, and mtv2 and mtvx. i like those b/c i enjoy watching the music videos w/o all the pop propaganda.anyway, just watnt o say that i was not trying to group ppl here, i wanted to see how we all vary. like on mine i have so many different influences that i'm just a shmorgishboard (or however it goes) of stuff lol. i wanted to get a feel for what everyone else out here likes.joshGod bless

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
My style? Well, I really don't fit in punk or raver categories. Although, I do fit in nicely at parties when I spin something. smile I am a Christian, but I'm not uptight like some I've met. I like to chill, I'm pretty layed back. I seem to clash a lot. I love poetry, but, by lookin' at me, you wouldn't know it. I'm a big dude, 6'3, muscular, pronounced and broad shoulders; I look 3 or 4 years older than I am. I usually wear baggy jeans with a t-shirt that says something about being big. wink I usually wear my hair spiked and styled with Elmer's Glue. So, innnnnnn conclusion: I'm not gothic or punk or a raver or really... uhh... anything. I'm just a guy with no style.... a faceless man.... a man with no name.... err.. yeah...~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One of my fav quotes..."There is no virtue in being normal, in fact, it rather denotes a lack of courage"-Practical MagicThen again, we are all normal in our own lives, in our own worlds and no one is truly an outcast if you have friends. smile

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
normal would seem to be a subjective standard

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
exactly

Pele

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
redbrother, the final catagory MUST be HIPPIES. he hepeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe: