Forums > Technical Discussion > Polycarbonate tubes in Australia?

Login/Join to Participate

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Just wondering, does anyone have any recommendation on where I could get polycarbonate tubes in Australia? The search didn't seem to yeild much (except for a site in the us) and google sent me to wholesellers who would probably require me to place an order for 200m of tube or something like that.

Thanks!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I found a place called davis plastics here in the uk which were comparitively cheap here in the UK. Might be worth trying them for an international order if you get stuck?

Cake or Death?

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
do you have some kind of contact or website or email for them? and when you say comparitively cheap, what kind of prices are you talking? (I'd be looking for something usable as a staff rather than poi at the moment)
and, the company in the UK might be handy as I've got friends who are (i think) still in the UK & should be able to bring it to singapore soon (where i can pick it up when i next go for visit).

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Try this. By cheap I mean it cost me something like £20 for a 1m of polycarb 28mm across, 2mm wall. I ordered it a long time ago (3 years or so), and my memory is far from reliable, so that figure may be very wrong wink

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
eeeeEEEEBAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

Hmmm hmm hmmmm....

dunnoe about aussie land but they 'ave it on uk ebay!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
nope, nothing on aussie ebay at the moment except polycarb roofing sheets + screws

GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I went searching a bit last weekend, as I lost my glowstaff at Earthcore ooooops and wanted a replcement of some sort. We ended up back at Juggleart (where I got my original from) asking for a staff with no LED's, as we were wiring up our own to go all the way through the tube (it's very pretty ubblove).

ANYWAY........ they agreed to sell me the 'empty' staff, complete with the rubbery tasselly thingies on the ends, and they said that you can't really buy that tubing stuff.............. they get hold of offcuts from somewhere.

BUT.............. i have also seen a few guys at parties who make their own, so they obviously get it from somewhere ????

AND.............what about the Globugs from Gooble Warming?? Can you ask where they get theirs from??? Would they even tell you??? Hmmm.

Enough babble from me............. good luck wink

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
out of curiosity, what did you search for in the yellow pages ?ie what type of place ?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ðraghkyre

I'm in Perth and found a place that sells it here.
I just searched the 'yellow pages' here & after phoning about 5-6 places, finally found a place that sold polycarbonate tubes.
Was a wholesaler & had to buy it in 3 metre lengths at the factory outlet.... but i got it. :-)
I'm sure there would be a couple of places in Brisbane?
try the old-fashioned way of searching. :P

and don't dismiss possible options because you 'assume' they won't sell you any!!!

where did you find it and do they do flexible ones??

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Theres a plastics store in Marrackville in Sydney that sells it - but its only open during weekday business hours which makes it hard for me to visit.
I think they were selling 2 meter lengths of 20mm tube for about $50 or something like that. I was going to call them anyway so ill ask if they have any contacts in Brissy.

E.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
GlitterBubble: if i recall correctly the tubes used for the globugs are a little too flexi/bouncy for me to use as a contact staff.

Ðraghkyre
&
d-eye: hrm... somehow it didn't occur to me to use the yellow pages tongue

Dentrassi: cool, thanks! do let me know if you do get anything.

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Acrylic Rod and Tube Supplies, 13 Brennan st Slacks Creek, Brisbane QLD 4127. PH (07) 32905621.

This place sells it for about $45 for 3M of 7/8 * 3/4 inch tube. this is 22mm OD with about 1.5mm wall thickness to give 19mmID.

This 3M length is part number PCTI 22/19

I got it there about 12 mounths ago and I might have a few offcuts left if you want to buy some short bits

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
1.5mm wall thickness? is the tube really wobbly/flexy due to that?

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
Unfortunatly this polycarbonate tube is wobbly and they said thats as thick walled as it comes. The good news is that if you only use it at the ends of a staff it is ok. The length I have left is 150cm long and it wobbles a lot if you try and twirl it.

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
hrm... wobbly tubes would be a big problem for me. seeing that it dosen't lend itself much to contact staff (or at least to my experience, it makes things more difficult than they should be) and i'm worried for all the electronics that i'll be stuffing though the tube