HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Gay Britons Signing Up as Unions Become Legal

(way to go South Africa, too!)
Written by:

Gay Britons Signing Up as Unions Become Legal

BY ALAN COWELL
LONDON, Dec. 5 - From Brighton to Birmingham and beyond, gay and lesbian couples began registering Monday for the first ceremonies later this month legally recognizing same-sex unions in Britain.

As a new law permitting what are called civil partnerships came into force, at least 1,200 couples scheduled ceremonies to take place beginning Dec. 19 in Northern Ireland, Dec. 20 in Scotland and Dec. 21 in England and Wales.

"This is an important piece of legislation that gives legal recognition to relationships which until now were invisible in the eyes of the law," said Meg Munn, a government minister.

The Times of London, once the staid voice of the establishment, extended the Births, Marriages and Deaths column in its Court and Social Register pages on Monday to include a new category, Civil Partnerships. In it, two male couples and a female couple announced their intentions.

Some of the first to register were couples in longstanding relationships, like Roger Lockyer, 77, and Percy Steven, 66, of central London.

"Britain has been in the Dark Ages over this, but today we have made the first step into the 21st century," Mr. Steven, a former actor and lecturer, told the Press Association news agency.

The biggest number of registrations, 510, were recorded in Brighton, on the south coast. In a sampling of registrations elsewhere, 140 couples registered in central London, and 5 in Aberdeen, in the north of Scotland.

The law allows same-sex couples in civil partnerships to benefit from some of the same financial benefits as married heterosexual couples, like tax breaks on inherited real estate and pension rights. The ceremony will resemble civil marriages between heterosexuals performed in a registry office.

But some of those registering Monday saw a broader significance. "It is very important to the heterosexual community to realize that there are homosexual couples and give them their due rights," Mr. Lockyer said.

Homosexuality is still a divisive issue within the Anglican church, and soccer crowds have been singled out as sources of homophobic abuse. But more generally, homosexuality seems more accepted than it was a generation ago. The British military lifted a ban on openly gay people five years ago.

Sir Elton John has announced plans to enter into a civil union on Dec. 21 with his longtime partner, David Furnish, a 43-year-old filmmaker, who said in a recent interview with the gay men's life style magazine Attitude: "It is a major, major change. It is one of the defining issues of our times. And I applaud Britain for embracing the diversity of our society."

Across Europe, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain have, like Canada, enacted laws legalizing same-sex marriage, but other countries offer gay people forms of partnership with more restricted rights than heterosexual marriage. In 1999, France introduced a civil contract for cohabiting couples irrespective of gender, and Germany has enacted legislation for "life partnerships" for gay people.

Elsewhere, South Africa's highest court ruled last week that prohibitions against same-sex marriage are unconstitutional.

In the United States, Connecticut followed Vermont last September in recognizing same-sex civil unions, Massachusetts permits same-sex marriages, and California has a broad domestic partnership law. But federal law does not recognize same-sex unions, and many states define marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

I am well chuffed its finally come about. I know my mother woud be loosing sleep at the thought of gays getting equal rights but hey. I mean, I am no way near the age of getting a partnership yet at the mo, but at least I no when i find the right man (or a man for that matter) that the option will be there!

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Predictably, all the radio talks about are George Michael's and Elton John's weddings. But hey, that's a small price to pay for a bit more equal rights smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
ditto ubblol

Colourful but not very bright.

Blu_valley: oh, and thats the only place where you get the ability to multiple-orgasm Baby Lee...the only place in the universe.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol To quote the T-Shirt Hell.com shirt "I support gay marriages... as long as both chicks are hot".

honestly tho, it can only be a good thing. I'm not exactly the straightest guy on the planet so I might need the laws some day...

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Too bad us Americans will be the last bastards on the boat to legalize these things.

WTG San Francisco! wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
If you ever change your mind and you want to bat for the other team give me a call ubblol

Colourful but not very bright.

Blu_valley: oh, and thats the only place where you get the ability to multiple-orgasm Baby Lee...the only place in the universe.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

Predictably, all the radio talks about are George Michael's and Elton John's weddings. But hey, that's a small price to pay for a bit more equal rights smile

Dont you mean Elton John's and David Furnish ubblol. Elton John isnt going out with George Michael.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
George Michael's and Elton John's weddings, not George Micheal and Elton John's Wedding (note the hyphen placement and plural wink )

Elton John is marrying David Furnish and George Micheal is Marrying Kenny Goss smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
dunc how do you know that?

Step (el-nombrie)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
He networks with all the right people, cant you tell darling? *insert showboz kiss* mwah mwah

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

dunc how do you know that?

There's this little known website available that's really useful for finding things out called Google wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
wow. whats the address of this miracle site?

back on topic... well itll never happen with the current government over here in Oz, but i suppose its a step in the right direction for the world smile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh it will, once news spreads there will be rallys all over the place Im sure. Shame you cant have it in a church yet, but you can allways get a blessing after the civil servace if your lucky enough to find a gay friendly vicar somewhere (ptfff, you'd think it would be easyer since all vicars seem to be repressed homos, an ex of mine new this vicar who got in a load of trouble cosue he kept bringing loads of men back to his church lol)

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

George Michael's and Elton John's weddings, not George Micheal and Elton John's Wedding (note the (lack of) hyphen placement and plural wink )

Elton John is marrying David Furnish and George Micheal is Marrying Kenny Goss smile

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'm going to the wedding of two female friends in a couple of months.

Its about time really. We may get laws that recognise couples who are not married too soon. I honestly dont understand the need for all that hassle before you are officially a couple.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I don't agree with making gay marriages legal, but that's just I don't really agree with the general idea of being married.

Now please stand in line for the beating, first one to flame me gets an extra big and heavy stick biggrin

No, seriously now, it was just about time to do this. It has no real importance to me as such coz I'm not gay and I don't really intend to get married, at least not for the next 10 years,(<< offtopic dammit) but it kinda makes a good overall feeling of more freedom and a big step towards general tolerance.

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I tend to agree with White Raven, actually.

What I don't agree with is a separate set of rules for gay people.

If straight people can get married, then gay people should be able to, too. I think the state should only do domestic partnerships between any two adults. (Some people argue that it should be any number you like, but that leads to a bunch of logistic issues.)

If you want to get married, find a house of worship. But leave the State out of it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
ditto on OneFinalSteps comment above biggrin Don't know how to do the box thingy with text. confused2 I heard the other day on the radio that Canberra, Aust, now recognises same sex couples on the legal scene, no I'm not gay but believe the key words are tollerance and understanding, how do you think the priest feels doing something against thier so called religion, not real good I would imagine, especially from say a christian piont of view, supposedly a tolerent understanding bunch, doesnt make sense to me, heres the theory, but this is the reality, resulting in guilt etc etc etc, JC hung out with the worst, prostitutes, vagrants, leppers and I would imagine some gay people would have been included, what was he on about, Tollerence and Understanding, somewhere we jumped in and put our own spin on it to conform to a narrow view. Ok now back to the lesbians biggrin wink

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im happy its happening couse it means we get to party and have a honey moon! I wanna get ..ok I cant call it marride since its not that strictly, but Ide wanna get the union done couse it shows how much you love each other, the benifit of the laws are just an added bonus and to me (on a relationship level) are not important, but if a partner of mine suggested we should get the union just in case something happens to one of us Ide be pretty pissed off at him for not wanting to get the union couse he loves me.

Anywhoo I wonder what gay people will turn this union into, at first it will be abit bland and boring im sure but eventually it be nice to think we would turn it into something with our own traditions.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: White RaveN

I don't really agree with the general idea of being married.

that was what i was getting at with...
Written by: Seye

Its about time really. We may get laws that recognise couples who are not married too soon. I honestly dont understand the need for all that hassle before you are officially a couple.

smile

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Hey, we have both over here! "full" marriage for gay couples and civil unions for any couple that doesn't want to get married - at least we're still getting something right here!

Yay britain! btw smile

everyone's unique except me

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
yay for the netherlands! biggrin

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Incase anyones unclear about the deal in england.

Its not a marriage, its a civil union, but it comes with all the same rights/legal responsibiltys a marriage comes with.

It cant be done in a church it has to be done in either a regristry office, or anywhere in the UK that holds a liscence for civil unions, so it could be done on a beach or in a garden or something if you dont want it in a regristry office.