Page:
misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ok so as we all know, poi is an ancient tradition which has been around for ages and appealed to many people throughout the years- and many more people are picking them up every year. Just one look at the number of members registered here shows the popularity of spinning across the globe....

It seems to me tho that lately poi are everywhere- all these christmas catalogues and stuff that get shoved through my letterbox have setts of tail poi in them, everytime I turn on the telly someone is spinning a weave, and I have come across newspaper articles about spinners meets and stuff. Poi are the latest fashion accessory.

The thing is I feel a bit weird about it.. on the one hand I'm like, this is great, everyone should have a go at this, it's so fun and good for body and mind etc. and the more the merrier type of thing. But then on the other hand I feel like some of the mystery and magic is being taken away... some of the stuff I have seen on tv seems to be people showing off trying to spin REALLY fast and stuff but doin v basic tricks v messy...it feels like it's all getting a bit competitive, and people picking them up and going "look what I can do and you can't aren't I great." I just think that's a really ugly attitude to have, and not one I'd like to see associated with poi.

I don't want to sound like a right miserable moo but that is the way it seems to me right now and I wondered what anyone else thought about it, or if anyone even had thought about it...?

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zauberdachs

Written by: mcp

Dude your new title says NEWBIE! OWNED!

frown

i don't remember what you have to do to get rid of the "newbie" thing?

Dude, just post load on forums, type cr*p if needs be. After i think its 50 posts you can change it to your own title.... I think!

I love HoP snobbery! Makes me feel warm inside!
*attempts to hug MCP.... hug *

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: dragar405325

lol hiya all

how long do you have to be spinning for to be called experienced coz i think i mut have missed tht point.

You're experienced if you enjoy spinning poi - FOR-EV-AR!

That and MCP doesn't think you're a tard. wink

Go to "My home" option on the top and customize your profile to get non-newbie HoP status. Needs 100 posts or something.

MCP looks strangely like jesus without a beard when she contact staffs, and so is inherently cool. ubblol

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

fire_fairy_liquidBRONZE Member
enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
right actually i have to disagree with all you lot, i think it is a great idea tht so many people are getting into poi, coz thern this means that the legends and the practice will go on for longer and personally i would like to see it live on rather then die out completely, yeah fair enough i may have been a newbie on here but tht doesnt mean tht im a newbie at the spinning, how the hell do you lot know tht latest member hasnt been spinning all there lives until the ripe old age of 50 you dont,
i think you are completely going agiainst the whole idea and fun of poi, it is a skill which A) helps the mind and body
but it also keeps kids off the streets from doing drugs and drinking on the streets.

i cant believe any of you are being soo pathetic as to say oh no you cant do this your too young, your new EWWW.

this has really annoyed me and i think that the more the merrier is the best rule.

also if you do see someone doing it wrong or sloppy then why not stop them, help and explain rather then putting them down or are you lot too up on your high horse to do such a thing.

all you that think it is becoming a fad and are worrying about the amount of people spinning are pathetic in my eyes god i hate snobs censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored

thanks for burning with me

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Uhm, someone else missing the point? umm

Most of this has been sarcasm by us (I'm not even old school) spinners.

If you want to be on topic/taken seriously, check out the post in the social forum about poi becoming a fad.

See [Old link] about how glowstick poi became a craze in Texas.

It's uncool.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Dude get with the program: SARCASM!

OWNED!

and anyway, I wasn't ever replying to you above, god, like I would talk to anybody with a string of numbers in their name instead of thinking of something original! I mean really!

wink

talking [censored] is sooooo much fun.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
damn you fast fingered rice boy!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Fast fingers eh? That sounds kinky. wink

Now comon here for a hug meg

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:

right actually i have to disagree with all you lot,

Who are you disagreeing with? All the folk here are being pro-newbie smile Apart from MCP but she's a tard smile

yeah fair enough i may have been a newbie on here but tht doesnt mean tht im a newbie at the spinning,

Yep, I believe I made that point already above...

but it also keeps kids off the streets from doing drugs and drinking on the streets.

In my experience poi has brought me more of this smile

i cant believe any of you are being soo pathetic as to say oh no you cant do this your too young, your new EWWW.

No one is saying this. I think you are confusing us with your mum wink

this has really annoyed me

take deep breaths, read other peoples posts, then write...

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
Written by: Asena

Dude, just post load on forums, type cr*p if needs be. After i think its 50 posts you can change it to your own title.... I think!

I love HoP snobbery! Makes me feel warm inside!
*attempts to hug MCP.... hug *

ive done quite a few posts and i cant change my title, mines just boring old 'member'
im quite suprised at the mean-ness of some poisters, i got such a nice welcome a few months ago, what happend? frown
although most are lovely and sunny heeeee! biggrin

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
why have you got rice? Is this some weird subculture expression like "got root"? but like with rice? Are you really hungry? Is it a claim to high status in the rice needing community? wink

@kael: hug (and for asena hug and spank )

plus zauderbadger, you're being helpful and polite typical NEWBIE behaviour. When you're vet like me, you'll be able to be cantankerous and fractious like me. tongue

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

plus zauderbadger, you're being helpful and polite typical NEWBIE behaviour. When you're vet like me, you'll be able to be cantankerous and fractious like me. tongue

What do you mean? I'm experimenting with being really patronising and sarcastic but hiding it all behind a smile so that no one realises what a censored I am smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
MCP, you're an asian newbie. Your lack of understanding about rice is forgiven.

Meanwhile, I am an asian vet. When you're really, really asian like me, it gives you the privelidge to have rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ubblol

hug for newbies as well.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
14 posts down only 36 to go!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so I should be: MCPNoRice?

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
For now.

However, we can find you an asian friend to start you on the path to riceousness. After a strict and vigorous training with old bearded ninjas on mountain tops and in bamboo groves, you will eat nothing but rice for 1337 days, after which you may consider yourself one of the elite "rice gotters".

That is! If you beat the master in a sparring match-

Non-Https Image Link

wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Right, I think this thread is sufficiently derailed....

My work here is done!

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
So thats the meg shift! I read it in someones name before! Its all becoming clear!! and and andddd its evil i tell theee!

*runs away screaming* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Page: