Forums > Social Chat > refund on bottles (uk) - having to give name and address

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
As some of you may know, Irn Bru (and Orangina, for non-Scots!!) is also sold in glass bottles with 20 p refund on them. I just went to get the money back at my local co-op, and I had to fill out a form with name, address and signature (for 60 p!).

Apart from the fact that it took the guy ages to scan the bottles and he obviously didn't want to do it and he couldn't do it in one go with the new bottle I picked up, so everyone waiting behind me got really mad, he couldn't tell me why they needed my name and address just because I brought back bottles that are supposed to be returned. ("I don't know. I have to put it in my till.") Does anyone know why they need it and what they do with it?

It almost makes me not want to return stuff anymore frown I've just overcome feeling extremely uneasy by being watched by cctv 24/7 in shops, buses, entering uni, going into the station etc, and now they take down my address for bottle refunds!!!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
i agree with the uni thing! totally rediculous! Its like, you have a massive high security gate at the back, and you can only get in if you show ID cards, but you can casually strol into the front of the uni, drive in if you like... but its like WATS THE POINT! grrr so silly!

and as for Irn Bru (love the stuff, got a scottish mate, she always drinks it) I didnt even no you could return the glass bottles. Last place i returned a glass bottle and got money back on it was germany, and that was for coke bottles, and that was all done by a machine...

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
so.....................u had to pay for a refund????? yet another form to fill in?????? that costs u money???? What the hell????? AAAAAAHHHH this country drives me crazy!!!! there is actually law or form or h&s rule for everything now! *huf* frown

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Nah, sorry, I didn't have to pay for the refund, I was just wondering why they were making so much of an effort about refunding me 60p.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
oooohh! oooppps redface i should really think about stuff before going on a huge rant, i cant help it anymore, the laws are getting ridiculous today

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just give them the address of the store and see if they notice.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've already made up a list of things in my head to write down and sign as next... I need my irn bru you know, and it just tastes better than out of plastic bottles. (not to mention I actually approve of recycling as long as I don't have to sign for it...)

I just wasn't awake enough at the time to write down something funny frown

Sent an email to scotmid because I really wanna know what they want my address for, and why they don't tell their employees in case a customer asks. With all the "we're nice and friendly and like our customers and don't use additives" policies they shouldn't be so big-brother-is-watching-birgit-y.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
let us know what they say... that would be cool...

passing through, this world still lives.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering... has it even happened to anyone else? Cause I've been giving back refund bottles before, and never had to do that shrug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Sethcxnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Nope.. used to use bru bottles to pay for the power cards in me old flat!
Never seen that one before!! eek

*checks over shoulder* They're watching you know...

Its not that stupidity should have a death sentance, just remove the warning labels and let nature take its course...