Forums > Social Chat > My brother and tattoos.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm really, really sorry to start another tattoo thread...but I thought this was slightly different to the other ones lying around.

I've been thinking for a while that I want to get another tattoo. I want to get a name tattooed somewhere. And before you all dig your claws in, it's not a name of a boyfriend or anything like that!

It's Christopher - my older brothers name.

To give you a little bit of background, to help you understand why I want to do this:

Chris is 20 years old (I'm 18) and he was born with Cerebral Palsy. He was a twin but unfortunately his brother died before he was born. He can't walk so he's wheelchair bound but thankfully he can talk, even if he gets a few words mixed up sometimes and he can't really register things as quickly as everyone else. He went to the same school as I did, he didn't need to go to a special school so we are extremely lucky.

Apparently some people with Cerebral Palsy have shorter life spans, I'm not sure about if Chris has a shortened life expectancy or not though...anyway I don't really want to go into that.

He is so hilarious and he brings a smile to my face whenever I'm around him. He brightens up everyones day and I have no hesitation about introducing him to friends when they first come over. Even though he has weak, crooked kind of fingers, there is no doubt he'll fight the spasms and stick out his hand to shake yours. I believe he leaves little footprints in everyones hearts, I think he's some sort of angel and I know others think it too. Sometimes when Mum or Dad aren't home I have to toilet him and feed him and stuff, but I don't mind smile

He loves his sport, he gets it from Dad, Dad was a very good sportperson back in his day and I'm sure if Chris was like the rest of us he would be off playing in the big football or cricket league! He watches sports videos all the time. He also loves his music. He knows pretty much every artist of the 70s-90s, the names of their songs and albums and even what year the albums were made! It's fascinating!

Anyway, I could talk heaps more about him but basically he's such a gift to our family and I love him dearly.

So I want to get Christopher tattooed on my right root, possibily left because Chris is left handed if I wanted to get even more sentimental about it all!

I was thinking my foot because it could symbolise things like: because he inspires me he is like 'every step that I take' etc or because he can't walk 'this way he can walk with me everywhere i go' etc. The issue with that is that apparently tattoos on your feet absolutely cain...but I don't know where else I could get it. I don't really want to get it on my shoulder or arm because people will see and think i'm a foolish little girl getting my boyfriends name tattooed or something!

So yeah, what are your thoughts on this? It would just be simple writing, I kind of want to have a little design but I wouldn't know what. I was thinking of the Spastic Society logo but that could change in years to come.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
ok...

Um, I personally wouldn't go with a Name. But that's just me. Maybe his name in an ancient, or even Fantasy script would work... (I've seen Garthy's tattoo of his name in some form of elvish, that looks really cool) but a name tattooed on somebody to me, looks a bit tacky. Especially on your foot... people would think that you wanted a tattoo, and were trying to hide it or something... I dunno...

Maybe there's a picture or symbol that means something to you both? Something that to the untrained eye, looks cool, but inside, you know the true meaning?

Maybe even have Chris help you choose a new tattoo?

oh, and hug

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
If I were you, if you're set on getting it done, I would suggest that you have his name printed along with a logo or something.

Personally, I think that just having a name tattooed looks tacky an I think you might regret it in a few years (even though it has great meaning for you).

Also, from a guy's perspective, it can be a little off-putting to see another guy's name tattooed on a girl, and they're not going to know the meaning behind it.

On the whole, you want someting that looks good on its own, and has the meaning for you and your brother as well.

I'm sure thats confuzed you further, sorry! hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
hug

first off, I love the idea of having one on your foot, lovely idea! hug

Second off, my sister works with children with cerebal palsy, so I have seen some nasty cases. I do know that the life expectancy is supposed to go down, but then, I have seen people who have said they wouldnt make it past 2 still living at the age of 23. Just shows they are strong willed! biggrin

So ye, lovely idea hug (sorry for aannother hug but ye)

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
You should talk to some tattoo artists, I know a lot of them around here won't tattoo certain body parts like feet because they fade so quicky and need to be touched up constantly. But if you can find someone to do it, go for it. As far as getting a name, I don't think it should mater if people think it looks tacky (no offence). If you're getting it because it means something to YOU, that's all that really matters.

My fiancee and I (as well as his brother and 2 of my best friends) all have the same African symbol tattoo, but it means something to all of us, and makes us feel close even when one of us is on the other side of the world. I wouldn't get a tattoo of his name, but thats personal preferance, and in your case, it's family. Your brother will always be your brother, no matter what.

So I say go for it! Find an artist who will do it (and does free touch-ups).

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
EDITED_BY: Blayze (1133716984)

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I agree with the others who've said about not getting a name. Although it has a great meaning for you it can seem tacky to others. If i were to get a name it would be in a different alphabet, Arabic is a beautifully written language so I would probably go for that.

Also, tattoos on feet REALLY REALLY hurt. I have a tattoos on each ankle, one is a dragon eating its own tail (sort of) and goes around my ankle with some of it right on the ankle bone itself, so incredibly painful but looks ace. If you are a bit squeamish and are liable to faint i would recommend not getting a tattoo on your foot or ankle, its far too painful and you cant put your shoes back on or walk without pain for a few days afterwards.

I love tattoos so i say go for it but be prepared for pain! smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
i'd suggest your ancle instead... it still has the same symbolicness to it but it wont hurt as much and it'll be easier to look after and show people if you want to

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Tattoos on the ankle are not easier to look after. They can wear away a lot easier than ones on the top of the foot just by walking in shoes. I've had to have one of my mine touched up because of this.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'd say don't worry about what others think. The only people who it should matter to are you and your brother. Who cares if some people think names are tacky, a lot of other people think all tattoos are tacky, others think all tattoos are cool, just different people, different likes and dislikes. None of these people are right or wrong. Personally I think it's a lovely idea, and if it would mean a lot to both you and your brother, then its a worthwhile one.

I wouldn't, personally go for the spastic society symbol though. Different situation, but my Mum is disabled, although she may live a normal lifespan, I won't want to remeber her for the fact she was disabled, but the fact she is a strong, caring, tolerant, wonderful person. Wow, its really weird talking about remebering her!

If you do go for a symbol, I would go for something that represents Chris's personality, so you celebrate his strengths, before you remember his physical disability, as he is not a disability, but a person, and I think its really important to think about that, I know if I was in his situation, and my sister was getting a tattoo, which, lets face it, you probably wouldn't be doing if the situation was different, i would want it to be something that could make me feel proud and happy, not something that would be a constant reminder of the fact I was disabled.

Anyway, like I say, this is just my opinion, and the only opinion that really matters is yours and your brothers. Don't worry about furture boyfreinds being put off by the name, as if it is going to be a serious relationship, you will get the oppertunity to explain it anyway, if he hasn't met your brother.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I'd say go for it.
I was having this conversation with a friend about her getting a tattoo for her little brother (who passed away as a baby). Dont worry about future boyfriends, if he is the right one, he will be so proud of you for getting it. Getting tattoos of family members is ALOT differant to getting ones of a boyfriend (or girl) he will ALWAYS be your brother, no matter what.
The idea is fantastic, but as others have said, I would talk to a tattoo artist to find out about foot tattoos. And talk to your brother, see if he has any suggestions

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I would go with a heart on the sole of the foot, to symbolize how he leaves those "footprints on the heart" that you mentioned.

Another option would be a footprint on your chest over your heart.

Either one should give you a good oportunity to explain it and give props to your brother.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
The left side of your body is sometimes said to be your spiritual side, having his name on the left would say something about how amazing his spirit is. I read that entire long post, he sounds like a really incredible person. Whatever kind of tattoo you choose and wherever you want to put it, it's still a really wonderful sentiment.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i like it! biggrin hug

chicken has a tatt on her foot...you should ask her if it hurt much...

i also like the idea of maybe getting something in some kewl writing so its not just a name, but it looks really beautiful to match the lovely meaning behind it...

but then, i need sleep & i'm rambling... biggrin

hug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hi Steph,

My advice first of all if your getting a tattoo that means somethign to you and you dont care if people see it or not then get it in a discreet place where you can cover it up so if on your foot make sure a sock can conceal it, both my tattoos are important to me and i got them for me not as a fashion icon which is why people rarely see them unless i have a top off.

Secondly maybe go around different ways of having the tattoo, as Ed said people can be off put by seeinga guys tat on them, often people will look then look away before you have a chance to say thats my brothers name etc, my mate whos dad passed away a while ago got his dads initials then a magic wand (his dad was a magician) and under that was the date he lived and died, maybe just Chris's initials and maybe a symbol that means a lot to both of you or reminds you of him?

Hope I've helped at all hug I bet your an ace sister

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
oh yeh and i'll warn you the foot and the spine are the most painful places to have a tat done frown

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patriarch917

I would go with a heart on the sole of the foot, to symbolize how he leaves those "footprints on the heart" that you mentioned.

Thats a nice sentiment but most reputable tattooists won't tattoo the sole of the foot. It's the *most* painful part of the body to tattoo. Forget the spine and ankle, i have tattoos on both, the sole of the foot is a totally different story. Think about it, tattooists have to make the skin taut, imagine how it would feel to stretch the skin on the sole of the foot and then have a needle dragged along it. no thanks. Don't get a tattoo on the sole of your foot, pain pain pain! and it'll wear away very easily.

Ankle is a good place for a tattoo, go for it there!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I think initials or a symbolic design would look better than a name. People will come to their own conclusions about a name unless you tell them about it.

My tattoo on my foot was the most pain i have ever been in. It was truely agonising. BUT the pain only lasts for a short time (I can't imagine you are going to be getting a big tattoo) and it doesn't hurt any more than a tat anywhere else on your body afterwards. Just a bit stingy and itchy.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Great thing about tattoos as opposed to piercings is piercings hurt for ages afterwards whereas tattoos stop hurting once the needle is off your skin, they're great! thats why they're sooo addictive biggrin

*runs off to plan her next tattoo*

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
I have a 65mm diameter tattoo on the top of my foot. For me it is pretty visible as I go barefoot a lot.Got it in april this year.
I thought it was going to be really painful based on what some people had said but it was not too bad. sort of like being bitten by a small ant over and over for 50 minutes but with no pain after.
Did'nt wear shoes for a month after.
Jeff

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Have you heard of/seen UV Tattos? or even White ink Tattoos?

They don't show up as much (the white one's are hardly noticeable) or, the uv ones can use ink that only shows up in UV light. Neat huh?

That way, if you don't want anyone to see it, they can't. biggrin

Hmmm... UV Tattoos... I want one of them now...

There was a thread I saw somewhere with some information, I'll dig it up...

EDIT: [Old link]
EDITED_BY: Long_Time_Coming (1133826200)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Mmmm UV tattoos..... i want one!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Someone was telling me, possibly a hopper about their friend who has a tattoo of a scorpion but some of the joints and its armour and tail are UV so they glow amaizngly under uv, looks ace

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

oh yeh and i'll warn you the foot and the spine are the most painful places to have a tat done frown

nah spine is fine, over chest and ribs is heaps worse *nod*

i would say be especially careful with any kind of writing as a tattoo... as other people suggested, maybe get it in a script or something like that? or a design that incorporates his name?
but then again, the tattoo should be for you, not for what other people think. if getting his name done on you is what you feel is right then go for it. you should do it because it is what YOU want and what YOU feel you need. ultimately the decision is yours as you will have to live with it.

dont get me wrong, i think it is a beautiful idea, and can completely understand why you want to get it, just make sure you go with what your heart tells you.

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
I have my nipple done, but seriously no pain at all.
Not much comes close to getting knocked in the head by a spinning fire staff..... ... can u say "ouch" ?

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
maybe his name in his or your handwriting?
a friend of mine has his daughters name written in his handwriting over his heart and i thinks that's nice.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Right, searched and this is all I could find!

I'm off to get my first tattoo in *looks at clock* half an hour..

Thing is I'm going by myself! Argh! And im so nervous! And excited! And I really should eat something..but I don't eat when I'm nervous or worried...I'm just smoking like a chimney.. rolleyes ubblol

In need of hugs and support!
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1141379627)

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Right! I'm leaving! Can't hurt to be early..
Oh my lordy...
Pictures to follow this evening!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
good luck aimee!

Steph, I have the whole top of my foor done in a kenji script with colourful flames all around it. Yeah it hurts but not that much. Maybe I have a high pain tolerance?

I reckon maybe get Chris' name done in Kenji script or chinese characters...that way its his name, but not in english so to speak.... so new boyfriends wont go..."Chris who?" and raise their eyebrows all suss like...

nothing suss! biggrin

my next tat is going to be on my toe... ubbrollsmile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

LahuKalennewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Yay Aimee! Can't wait for pix!

And to the people talking about UV tatts, I've been told they're not a good idea as the long-term effects of the UV ink haven't been tested enough...I don't know how much truth there is to that, it's just what I was told.

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
I'm so jealous! I want more tattoos, but have to wait until June.
Hope everything went well!

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Picture!

Another picture!

I love it biggrin

It's a tad off centre, which I'm pissed off about. But I've been told (and I'm hoping) that its hardly noticable.

And I got a discount because I didn't say 'ow' (lol)
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1141483756)

Page: