Forums > Social Chat > My brother and tattoos.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm really, really sorry to start another tattoo thread...but I thought this was slightly different to the other ones lying around.

I've been thinking for a while that I want to get another tattoo. I want to get a name tattooed somewhere. And before you all dig your claws in, it's not a name of a boyfriend or anything like that!

It's Christopher - my older brothers name.

To give you a little bit of background, to help you understand why I want to do this:

Chris is 20 years old (I'm 18) and he was born with Cerebral Palsy. He was a twin but unfortunately his brother died before he was born. He can't walk so he's wheelchair bound but thankfully he can talk, even if he gets a few words mixed up sometimes and he can't really register things as quickly as everyone else. He went to the same school as I did, he didn't need to go to a special school so we are extremely lucky.

Apparently some people with Cerebral Palsy have shorter life spans, I'm not sure about if Chris has a shortened life expectancy or not though...anyway I don't really want to go into that.

He is so hilarious and he brings a smile to my face whenever I'm around him. He brightens up everyones day and I have no hesitation about introducing him to friends when they first come over. Even though he has weak, crooked kind of fingers, there is no doubt he'll fight the spasms and stick out his hand to shake yours. I believe he leaves little footprints in everyones hearts, I think he's some sort of angel and I know others think it too. Sometimes when Mum or Dad aren't home I have to toilet him and feed him and stuff, but I don't mind smile

He loves his sport, he gets it from Dad, Dad was a very good sportperson back in his day and I'm sure if Chris was like the rest of us he would be off playing in the big football or cricket league! He watches sports videos all the time. He also loves his music. He knows pretty much every artist of the 70s-90s, the names of their songs and albums and even what year the albums were made! It's fascinating!

Anyway, I could talk heaps more about him but basically he's such a gift to our family and I love him dearly.

So I want to get Christopher tattooed on my right root, possibily left because Chris is left handed if I wanted to get even more sentimental about it all!

I was thinking my foot because it could symbolise things like: because he inspires me he is like 'every step that I take' etc or because he can't walk 'this way he can walk with me everywhere i go' etc. The issue with that is that apparently tattoos on your feet absolutely cain...but I don't know where else I could get it. I don't really want to get it on my shoulder or arm because people will see and think i'm a foolish little girl getting my boyfriends name tattooed or something!

So yeah, what are your thoughts on this? It would just be simple writing, I kind of want to have a little design but I wouldn't know what. I was thinking of the Spastic Society logo but that could change in years to come.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Wooo Aimee that's so cool!

Hi again everyone! biggrin It's been ages but I still haven't thought of what to do about my brothers name.

In the meantime. I've been thinking for a few months about getting this tattooed:

Non-Https Image Link

I want to get a little version of that butterfly on my right shoulder blade. Someone suggested having it in the middle of my back but I think that would be a bit too extravagant for me.

Also, although the tail is beautiful and really makes the design. I think it's a little too long. So if I end up getting it I'll most likely alter it so it's a few cm's shorter.

I thought about having no tail at all so I drew this version (excuse the poor symmetry) without a tail (and also without colour)

Non-Https Image Link

But I think I like the tail better and I'd definately get it with colour though.

One question:

Should I have it straight like that photo, or on an angle? I was thinking that if I have it a bit diagonal, maybe like a 40 degree angle up to the right it might look nicer, as if it was flying? What do you guys think?

Just throwing some ideas around!

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I love the first butterfly, its gorgeous. Be quick or I may just steal your design.
As for postioning, an angle would be good. Maybe like its about to fly off over your shoulder?

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
My mate is getting a tiger tattooed on her back with the stripes relecting her three fave tigers she has worked with

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Wow! those butterflies are beautiful!

could you maybe incorporate Chris' initials into the pattern on the wings? that way, you sovlve both problems!

hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Heh.

I'm going into the tattoo shop today to ask a few questions!

smile

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Bird

could you maybe incorporate Chris' initials into the pattern on the wings? that way, you sovlve both problems!

You could put them in between the tails. If you incorperate them into the wings then they'll be lost in the design and it would defeat the purpose of the whole exercise....

I think you should leave the tails at the length they are. They add a certain grace and elegance to the whole peice that i feel it needs.

Without them you run the risk of it looking like every other person's bog standard butterfly tattoo. And you want yours to be unique and original eh?

Plus right shoulder blade would be a good place for it. But i wouldn't reduce the size of it too greatly. Perhaps 20% smaller. Any more and it could look crowded and muddy.

An easy way to see where to place it, what angle/size/etc would be to print it.
Then cut it out and stick it on. Or better yet, do that thing you did as a kid with tracing paper where you go over the back of the design with a pencil and then draw on the right side, so it prints it on you.... if that makes sense?

hug ubbrollsmile hug

Meh

Flanimal_Lovermember
43 posts

Posted:
"to stand on the shoulders of giants"

hug

Poi-er to the People!

PerrafordeBRONZE Member
Its Wet and Cold
120 posts

Posted:
These designs are really beautiful! did you design them yourself? Go for the purple colour in it. I agree with Cantus on the right shoulder, i would angle it slightly. Would love to see the final tattoo.

I want another one!!!! ubbloco

Oh Slothy. I may have been bad. I may have kept you chained up in that room but it was for your own good

Either I have a monster in my kitchen or I'm completely crazy

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all your help guys! I've got two tattoo ideas buzzing through my mind but as much as I want go and get them done straight away I'm definately going to think about them for a few more months!

And no, I didn't design the butterfly. It's pretty though hey? smile I've decided that I'll modify it slightly though...I just have to get my creative side of my brain into gear...

I've also been working on the one about my brother and I've decided that I will get his initials (CWB) and they will be surrounded by little versions of his birth month flower which is Aster.

Non-Https Image Link

I want to have a nice font something along the lines of these:

Non-Https Image Link

Now I just have to design it and I'm hopeless at designing things!

Page: