Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Ok, so been spinning for a bit over 3 months now and enjoyin every day of it. Maybe I'll get me some fire for xmas, but for now it's still socks. I seem to have bad luck when I am actually able to tape my spinning. I had no music, and was grumpy as hell (bad bad day, hence the ciggy; spinning made it a bit more bearable). So, it's a bit rough, but was workin on flowers and giant windmill a bit here. My long-arm stuff absolutely sucks frown.. and the camera seems to wall-eye a bit.

Ahwell, it's all fun for me. Any crits would be appreciated. Now onto the vid:

spinning - Dec 1

edit: oh, yeah, should mention:

6mins at ~15M wmv format

EDITED_BY: Suibom (1133568561)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Cool, well done, it's always shocking to see how fast new people are learning now, 3 months!!! A cool vid, maybe alittle long though, and a little variation in setting would be cool as well. But for a practice vid it's cool. The antispin stuff is coming along nicely and iso's too. Well done, looking foward to the next one.

P.s. The cigi in the mouth was a little much though biggrin And I think you managed to knock the tip off at some point near the end too biggrin

One small sugestion though, it's handy for yourself and other people to keep all your vids in one thread, and preferably in the first post of that thread. Then each time you have a new vid you can bump your old thread. Then people wont have to go searching if the want to see all of your vids, and they can keep an eye on your progression too.

**Just a thought.
EDITED_BY: Mot (1133615087)

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
3 months?? WOW,, your spinning is coming along quite nicely kudos on the throws and your isolations are progressing too.

I'm glad you said it about your longarm stuff but it's nothing you can't work out with practice. Try one poi at a time just to get the feel of making your arms as long as you can.

Try some big arm circles with one hand while keeping the other hand spinning a normal circle at your side, try a 50 petal flower, just to identify your weak spots when it comes to plane control. Think about making the biggest flower possible.

You'd probably enjoy working with the buzzsaw , which is also a great move to work with indoors. Contrast small buzzsaw circles with huge flower circles.

Varying the speed of your spinning is also fun too, this is something you can do with moves you already know, for instance spin your three beat slowly, transition into the windmill quickly, and then down into your reverse weave slowly, Acceleration and deceleration, just a suggestion.

Nick Woolsey is hosting a poi retreat next weekend ( Dec. 9-11 ) up in this part of the world, which is not too far from Oregon, I'll pm you the link with the details.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the crits smile Muchly appreciated.

Mot:
Indeed, far too long of a vid, but it was for practice and to see how things looked. I hadn't had the chance to see my flowers before, nor the corkscrew. Obviously I was a bit chagrinned when I actually saw the flowers redface. As for video archive thread, I had thought about that, but didn't think I had much worth archiving yet. but I'll probably compile the vids to one post next time around, thanks for the suggestion smile.

Stout:
"try a 50 petal flower" eek I can't count that high rolleyes. Definitely workin on the long arm stuffs, it's fairly new to me and I've noticed that, in my rickety old age ubbloco, my flexibility is wickedly lacking. Tho, now that I have been poi-ing, it's coming back to me and my shoulders are becoming more limber. Buzzsaws I definitely enjoy, and I've mostly got the buzzsaw fountain down (when I'm paying attention anyway). The only problem with them is the thickness of the socks works against the spinning and the buzzsaws eventually go wonky. Need to get more sock types.

Anyways, I'll take the crits and advice and try and make something decent, and shorter (tho prolly still with static background), next time around.

Cheers, all.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Sui, thanks for that vid! Enjoyed it (3 months! eek), and I really liked that Ani track ubblove Technically, it looks like everything's coming along nicely, I liked (and probably don't do enough) what you did with the giant butterfly into a bth butterfly, and would be nice to see more of similar experimentation. The flowers are slightly stiff still, and perhaps it might help to think of turning your body a bit more into the plane the flower is in? If that makes any sense. The antispin looks like it's coming together too.. 3 months.. would love to see you spin in a years time.

If I didn't like anything in the vid... it's the cigarette spank A bit too much multitasking (and those things'll kill ya tongue)

Overall, good stuff, keep it up!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well maybe 50 is a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean, spinning a flower like that gives you lots of time to think about things like flat planes ( especially in those weak areas) straight arms,,,,and Jessica Simpson. But think planes and arms foremost.

It's probably not the socks that are giving you the grief with your buzzsaw, you most likely need a little more experience. It took me months than i care to admit to get my buzzsaw sorted. Try your buzzsaw forward, backward, butterfly, try turning it horizontal and spin that in both directions.