Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I have a patient on my service who is a 15-year-old girl who was infected with HIV at birth. She is now in end-stage AIDS. Her strain of HIV is resistant to multiple drugs. She's on a relatively new drug called T20 or FUZEON which is a fusion inhibitor. And she's slowly dying.

The other night I was doing a blood draw on her and when I pulled the needle out of her vein, I dropped it and it bumped, sharp end first, into my thumb. At this point, my testicles promptly shrivled up and retracted into my abdominal cavity.

So I calmly walked out of the room and took off the glove. I inspected my thumb. I had never felt a poke and, thankfully, there was no break at all in the skin.

I then dumped some water into the glove and it didn't leak.

The risk of contracting HIV from a needle stick is 0.3%, so the risk is tiny (less than 1:300) but even still, I came face-to-face with my own mortality in a way I never imagined that night.

Simple prophylaxis (usually after a needle stick you go on AZT and a protease inhibitor for a month) wouldn't have done because the patient's virus was resistant to that. Had that incident led to an infection, I would be a goner.

Instead, I'm spared.

And today is another day that I am thankful for my health and my life.

Be well. And be thankful. hug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
2 x 3 + 1.... seven doses in total! 3 first doses, two seconds, two thirds. Done: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1dt, 2nd, 3rd......

Yes, my life is weird ^_^

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
and there was me thinking they were all the same...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
There are different formulations and ways to give the vaccine. One girl at work they tried lots of different ways and she never seroconverted.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I loved having chicken pox, I got to stay in bed and mum cooked me anything I wanted to eat, I also loved lying in bed picking at my poxes lol. Go chicken pox!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Page: