Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I have a patient on my service who is a 15-year-old girl who was infected with HIV at birth. She is now in end-stage AIDS. Her strain of HIV is resistant to multiple drugs. She's on a relatively new drug called T20 or FUZEON which is a fusion inhibitor. And she's slowly dying.

The other night I was doing a blood draw on her and when I pulled the needle out of her vein, I dropped it and it bumped, sharp end first, into my thumb. At this point, my testicles promptly shrivled up and retracted into my abdominal cavity.

So I calmly walked out of the room and took off the glove. I inspected my thumb. I had never felt a poke and, thankfully, there was no break at all in the skin.

I then dumped some water into the glove and it didn't leak.

The risk of contracting HIV from a needle stick is 0.3%, so the risk is tiny (less than 1:300) but even still, I came face-to-face with my own mortality in a way I never imagined that night.

Simple prophylaxis (usually after a needle stick you go on AZT and a protease inhibitor for a month) wouldn't have done because the patient's virus was resistant to that. Had that incident led to an infection, I would be a goner.

Instead, I'm spared.

And today is another day that I am thankful for my health and my life.

Be well. And be thankful. hug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
Yea I'm sure you’re right, it was properly innocent. Was debating if I should post it or not. Like you it just pisses me off that so many people just assume that only gay people get HIV. It came up in conversion yesterday so when I read that it got my back up a bit.

Colourful but not very bright.

Blu_valley: oh, and thats the only place where you get the ability to multiple-orgasm Baby Lee...the only place in the universe.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I don't think Kael mentioned "gay".

And BritJoe, actually condoms are on the decrease in the gay community again. Because HIV tests are quite commonly performed, lots of people think they're safe, and diseases like syphillis are on the increase again.

Apart from that, there's stupid people everywhere, no matter if straight or gay, who don't care about themselves and others. It's nothing to do with sexual orientation, just with responsibility.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Kind of hard to balance between the two.

1) It's wrong to stereotype.

2) The demographics of AIDS are HIGHLY skewed in the United States. Globally, it's a very different story but in the Urban US, it is more prevelant in the gay population.

Personally, I've never known anyone straight who's gotten AIDS. I've never even heard of anyone actually. And I've known quite a few gay men who have died from it.

I understand the sentiment of getting offended by linking HIV and the US Gay Population. I also understand the demographics that link the two.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well not according to an article on gay.com (reply from brigits), anyhoow kale asked doc if he knew the history of his sexual partners. Im sure kale didnt mean this in any way, but it just shows people can say silly things, firstly being that its docs buisness what he does sexually and no one elses, and hes also an educated adult. Is it really nescesery to check up on him? No of course it isnt IMHO.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

I don't think Kael mentioned "gay".

I never said that he mention "gay". I asked, if Doc was straight would he ask the same question? I don't think he would. Gay and straight people get aids, nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Blu_valley: oh, and thats the only place where you get the ability to multiple-orgasm Baby Lee...the only place in the universe.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't think it was silly. I think it was friendly.

I think Lightning talks about sex quite a bit (like some of the rest of us) and it's only natural to be concerned. On more than one occation the Doc has mentioned contraception and STDs and such to me. [And other comments encouraging sex but we won't go there... wink ]

I think Kael's comment was one of "Hey, speaking of AIDS, as someone who is open about their sexual frivolities, are you being as careful in your sex life as you are in your job?"... because most of us aren't.

And, just to throw a random demographic to support my above arguement...

Non-Https Image Link

I do also know that HIV is spreading more quickly in the heterosexual US population (esp among women) so it's something that we ALL should be concerned about. And it's also something that we all, as friends, should ask and support each other about reguardless of sexual orientation.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
re Joe:

https://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=12494&channelid=CHAN-100011

https://www.gayromeo.com/infothek/health/syphilis.php

The actual report linking it to the decrease in using condoms is in German, so it won't be much use. But since a rise in syphilis can be linked to a decrease in protection, and even without that syphilis increases the risk of an HIV infection, you do the maths... (though I know syphillis can be transferred by oral etc, too, so condoms aren't as much protection as they would be against other things.)

edit:

And crazybambino, if you read my last post to the end, I said exactly the same thing as you, that it's a matter of responsibility and not sexual orientation shrug
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1133790134)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

baby_LeeSILVER Member
RUBBISH!!
1,443 posts

Posted:
Sorry I was suppose to write; “Gay and straight people get aids, like you said it’s nothing to do with sexual orientation" was just typing fast.

We are being a bit silly as we are all saying the same thing. Everyone can get HIV. Gay, straight, male, female, black, white, purple it doesn't matter. Yeah some places it is higher in gay men but my point being I don’t think he would have asked If Doc was straight.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I'm purple.

Glad you're ok Doc hug2

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

Here's a quote from the HepB foundation by the way, the numbers for chronic infection seem a bit high, but the main point is, you CAN get vaccinated. Unfortunately it's expensive when not done for and covered by work, but it's worth it

In the U.S. all babies get their first hepatitis B vaccine on the first day of life.

They get their second at two months of age and their third at six months of age.

It's a mandatory vaccine. I'm surprised it isn't in England. This is an eradicable disease.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Personally, I've never known anyone straight who's gotten AIDS. I've never even heard of anyone actually. And I've known quite a few gay men who have died from it.

And yet when I was in med school and had adult patients with HIV (i.e. those with acquired, rather than congenital disease), the vast majority (>95%) were straight.

Lots of minorities, though.

-Mike

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
It should be here, really. Seeing how common HepB is, how easy it is to get infected, and how expensive treatment is once you have it and your liver's giving up, it's one of those things NHS (or medical insurance in Germany at that, they're just as bad) would do well to pay for before having to cover the consequences.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I wonder, is that graph international figures?I know Africa has a really high rate.

Purple people can't get HIV. They're immune. (just dying your skind doesn't help)

They do, however, have to watch Purple People Eaters.
EDITED_BY: Ampersand (1133815445)

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
eek

Glad you're ok. And re:NYC I do know a lot of gay people who've died of aids, yes, but i know some straight ones as well. And considering how many more gay people than straight people I know over the age of about 23 or so, I'd figure my preceptions should be skewed...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I prettymuch discount any of your perceptions as already hopelessly skewed.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah. I mean, what the hell do I know? I'm just a doctor. wink

-Mike

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Mike, has the Hep B vaccine always been mandatory in the states? I was given the vaccine 2 years ago by my doc. He tested me for antibodies first because I couldn't recall whether I had the shot or not, and since I didn't have any, I got the three dose vaccine as an adult.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Yeah. I mean, what the hell do I know? I'm just a doctor. wink

I realize it's difficult to imagine all communication not revolving around you but I was actually talking to someone else.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:

Written by: Gnor

When our kids were really young and we both worked in labs we didnt wear work shoes in the house as there were always spills in the lab as we have heard Hep B can be pretty robust even if its not the sentance HIV is.

Hep B doesn't scare me. I'm immune. You should be, too. If not go to your doctor and get vaccinated.

Hep C, on the other hand....

Im immune as is my husband but only two of the kids have been vaccinated and there hasnt been a followup on imuunity.
What else out there is blood borne that we havent diagnosed yet or is hiding under another virus.

There is a retractable needle in early production now. My fatherinlaw has just invested in it.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

Mike, has the Hep B vaccine always been mandatory in the states? I was given the vaccine 2 years ago by my doc. He tested me for antibodies first because I couldn't recall whether I had the shot or not, and since I didn't have any, I got the three dose vaccine as an adult.

Well it came out about 15 years ago and became mandatory about 12 years ago. I got it when I was 16.

In order to be a health care professional, you have to have it. Also to join the military, work for the government, or be a college student.

Admittedly most adults over the age of 30 or 35 haven't had it.

-Mike

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I got it for highschool too.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Newborn infants now get a HepB vaccination in Australia. This came in about 5 1/2 years ago. Teenagers get another shot but if you have a child not in that time frame you have to pay. Same for chicken pox. Children under 2 here (or about that age) can get it free as will children born from now on and again teenagers can get a shot but anyone in between pays $70 for the privelage.
Dont understand why they dont make it available across the board if the objective is to reduce naturally occuring chickenpox/ Hep B and cost to the community. The reason I was given for not being generally availbable was the cost.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have mixed feelings about the chickenpox vaccine. I guess I need to wait ten years to see if the immunity wanes.

But really, a good, old-fashioned rip-roaring case of chickenpox is just one of those rites of childhood. And the immunity is lifelong.

Yes, occasionally people get two cases. Normally their first case was pretty mild.

Now, in the adult who has never had chickenpox, then the vaccine is very necessary as mortality in adults of chickenpox approaches 30%.

-Mike

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Im waiting to see how it affects shingles rates in older people. Two recent cases of shingles in my age group have highlighted that chicken pox as a child is normally uncomfortable but shingles or chicken pox as an adult is bloody horrid.
If the vaccine can reduce either severity of shingles or get rid of it, it will get my vote. I havent seen any data on it yet though.

I think the vaccine for chicken pox is driven more by a society with working parents that cant take 10 days straight off work to look after their sick kids. As a parent of a kid whose response to mild childhood disease is a nightmare to deal with for a week we chose to pay for the vaccine, but the other boys will hopefully get it as normal and then boost the other boys immunity through exposure. We can hope.

Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The shingles issues is the big thing.

It simply hasn't been around long enough to show whether it reduces the severity and incidence of shingles.

-Mike

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
So in 30 years we may have an idea..sounds a bit like parenting really *sigh*

Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Gnor, medicine is the ART of making life-altering decisions for others based on incomplete data.

Really, it's all very low-stress. biggrin

-Mike

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Mmm, make me feel better about my doctors appt today why don't you! tongue

Oh, yeah, and I'm sick of vaccines! I've had to do Hep B twice, Chicken Pox once, (all as an adult) and I'm still not showing antibodies to either! At what point can I stop getting the stupid things... Like, not just those two(I'm not gonna bother again), but any new ones they foist on me as well.... *sighs*

NB: I'm weird! Do not use me as an excuse not to vaccinate your much more normal self! tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hep B twice... do you mean 2x3 doses, or just 2? because it takes 3 single jabs to give you the antibodies, 4 in my case...

(G.W. Dahlquist)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:

Gnor, medicine is the ART of making life-altering decisions for others based on incomplete data.

Really, it's all very low-stress. biggrin

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Could be different, you could be a vet where the patients bite more often

Vaccination is about the herd...

Non-Https Image Link

Is it the Truth?

Page: