Page:
kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi, I´m new to this and i´m just wondering when u are using your poi and accedently hit yourself when you have them on fire, does it hurt mutch and do you burn your self right away? redface

FiraBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
not really, it feels like a piece of metal hitting you... it doesnt really have time to burn if it just bounces off. maybe a little hair gets singed...

however, if it gets wrapped and tangled round your arms by accident, it may burn a lot..

so be careful!

if you are not sure, practice (a lot) with them not set on fire first to get used to the weight!

FiraBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
another thing... i almost forgot...

make sure u dont get parrafin or whatever u use on your clothes!!!

kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Okej thanks alot for the info..
It took 5 minits to get a reply =)
Not bad at all

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Depends on the clothing you're wearing and the type of fuel. If you're wearing airy clothes with loose threads and using white gas and didn't spin off properly, you'll set yourself alight faster than you can say "ouch".

See https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/

Also, you don't have to worry about the actual kevlar poi heads burning you if you just hit yourself (fire will take a short while to burn your skin-like the running your hand over a candle trick), the main issue is any exposed metal. This will be hot and WILL sear your skin instantly upon contact. This I have done many times with wraps/tracing with fire. Now I have better protection/know better.

Hair will also go up instantly. Wear a hat or tie back long hair.

Have a safety on hand at all times with a fire blanket or wet towel.

In general, use common sense and be safe!

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Okej, I´m very thankfoul for the information you all gave me!
Thanks!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Agreed, the metal is what will get you in the end. You should also make sure to wear natural fibers, like cotton or wool as they have a natural resistance, and they wont shrinkwrap you in burning melted gooeyness if they do light up.

Just be aware if you're wearing a sweater or something thats got some fuzz on it, cotton or not it can go up mighty quick.. I've done that a few times with wraps to my arms and nice pretty blue flame crawls right up your arm. DON'T PANIC, the most a flame like that will do is singe your hair (or trim my beard a bit in my case) but remember you've still got flaming balls attached to your hands so you can't flip out.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Also, make sure you use a fuel with a low burning temparture - parrafin (UK) kerosene (US). Some people even catch/bat the lit wicks when using these fuels, only possible if your wicks have no exposed metal though, and not particularly advisable, but it is possible to do this without giving yourself serious burns (bearing in mind the hand only touches the wick for a milisecond.)

It is unadvisable to perform any wraps with fire, no matter how experienced you are as there is always the one time that you tie yourself up. However, some decide that the risk is small as they are technically competant, so do them, but not without a lot of practice, and other people decide the risk is always too great.

Of course the solution to your question is to not hit yourself. In the year and a half I've been fire spinning I've only hit myself a few times, only once on bare skin. On this occasion it was the back of my hand and I just singed a few hairs. It's amazing how when faced with a fire ball coming straight towards it your body develops great avoidence skills! However, I would advise that you learn how to turn within poi moves to the extent that it becomes second nature, as I find often the best way to avoid hitting myself is to turn out of the way, however this is always an unconcious reaction as I constantly put turns in my poi-spinning.

good-luck- don't worry too much, its good that you're being safe and asking this question.

The secret of good fire spinning and performance in my opinion, is to not be scared of the fire but to respect it.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
eh. that's too cautious. burns are fun. self-mutilation is half the appeal of fire (the other half is the sound). scars are stories waiting to be told. if you still have eyelashes, you're probably neglecting your buzzsaws. biggrin

-- dut

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
I hope that was sarcasm because that advice is horrible for a newbie.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Burns heal and chicks dig scars!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Embrace the pain! Scars make better stories than tattoos ubbloco devil

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

SugarCoatedHellmember
33 posts

Posted:
I think their kidding. 0.o Lurch, what part of Oregon?

Pele put some fire safety videos on the site, you should check them out if you haven't already.

There are no witholding taxes on the wages of sin.
~ It ain't a sin to crack a few laws, just don't break them. ~
~ I lost my reputation young, and never missed it. ~
~ She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success, wrong by wrong. ~

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

eh. that's too cautious. burns are fun. self-mutilation is half the appeal of fire (the other half is the sound). scars are stories waiting to be told. if you still have eyelashes, you're probably neglecting your buzzsaws. biggrin

-- dut

mine just grow back fast biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
>> I hope that was sarcasm because that advice is horrible for a newbie.

sorry, i was 100% serious. if you can't embrace or at least take responsiblity for the side-effects of spinning fire, stay with tennis balls and glow sticks. i used to try to convert every glowsticker i saw, but now if someone doesn't see me spin fire and immediately know they want to try it no matter the risks, i don't bother. kael already gave the good advice anyways -- it's not how not to get burned, it's how to get burned with minimal permanent damage when it does happen. only the metal is really a problem, so the tops of the wicks are usually a lot more dangerous than the bottom. wear long sleeves and a hat if you don't like the smell of burning hair. stop drop and roll if all else fails.

>>mine just grow back fast

i can tell mine are different lengths tho. i don't know if they'll ever be as long and girly as they used to be either. frown

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1133560045)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry, but that is very irresponsible of you. You are basically advising people to injure themselves. Advising people who are new to poi, and have no other experience of it to practically purposly injure themselves. In the whole time I've been spinning fire I have not burnt myself once, and yet I do most of the moves with fire, that I do with non-fire poi. It IS possible to minimise the risks. I accept that spinning fire is something dangerous, and I risk injury everytime I do it, that does not mean I should therefore not take any saftey precautions, guareenting that I do end up burning myself.

People who have your attitude make me, and other responsible spinners angry, as it is this attitude that gives fire-performers a bad name, as people who have no regard for the saftey of themselves and others, bringing the names down of all the others, proffessional and non-proffessional, who work hard to ensure their fire spinning is as safe as it can possibly be. After fire-spinners are given a bad name by these people, burn-nights and performances have been shut down because of the reputation of those who have no regard for saftey.

You have to remeber that it is not just your saftey, but the saftey of others around you, and not just your reputation, but the reputation of all fire-spinners.

This is the responsibility you take when you spin fire.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

>> I hope that was sarcasm because that advice is horrible for a newbie.

sorry, i was 100% serious.

-- dut

Then you're 100% horrible at teaching. I'm serious as well.

God I hope there aren't many like you out there. Basically what you're doing is building cars especially for crashing and not teaching people how do drive.

Oh yeah, SUVs.

I think they're stupid too. wink

EDIT- Ditto what Prickley leaf said about angry firespinners. I am by no means the most responsible firespinner (seared myself with wraps and traces many times) but that doesn't mean I'm going to go off and tell newbies to do it and wear the scars proudly.

If anyone considers themselves enough of a professional poist to spin fire, they have better be a professional example to those who are still learning.

And god forbid if laws against fire in the US weren't strict enough already, they'll become stricter soon when spinners have attitudes like that.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
lol hmmmm boys boys. I think Kajutan has got some good advice (thanks to kael) and dut i agree lol. scars are good, i managed to invite a move where I burnt off most of my arm hair lol. Yeeeeee so... anyway, Kajutan, if you stick to the basics and stuff your comfy with, then you should be fine.

if your doing a weave and you accidently knock yourself, its more the pain of the impact i worry about. The flames dont tend to bother me anymore. You get used to them. and as for the burns, they only come from the wraps if you dont do em right or quick enuff. Anyway, you done burn yet?

kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
okey:) Yeah i think a have got some good advice now...
thanks...
I have practice only for a week now and I have orderd a real pair of Poi now.
I hope I´l get them this friday... and I will problibly try them with fire as soon as I get them and are used to the wight...

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
"it's not how not to get burned, it's how to get burned with minimal permanent damage when it does happen"

No, its how not to get get burned, hit yourself or start fires AND being able to deal with burns or fires that occur despite taking every safety precaution.

BTW: If you knock yourself out and don't have a safety, the fire doesn't go out just because you do. Worrying about the fire would be a good idea as well.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
kieron, you say no, then pretty much paraphrase me directly. i'm saying you have to be on the next level and thinking about the consequences of when burns do and will occur, as a statistical probability. can you let go of the poi and stop drop and roll? /moooooost/ of the time. wink anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and if you're used to the smaller "problems" like being able to handle running your hand calmly down a lit line of spinoff up your leg to put it out, while continuing to spin (UTL), it's no longer a problem. never panic, but wear long sleeves. biggrin

what's more "professional" than "the show must go on"?
[/troll]

-- dut

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
"it's not how not to get burned" Yes it is how not to get burned.

Also the way I put it (hopefully) sounds a lot better to a new spinning than yours which gives the impression:

"Hey, i'm supposed to be hitting myself constantly and getting burnt, its not because I need to practice more, its just what happens when spinning fire."

The possibility of injury is a part of spinning, I've never done more than singe myself spinning fire.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1134123997)

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: kajutan

okey:) Yeah i think a have got some good advice now...
thanks...I have practice only for a week now and I have orderd a real pair of Poi now. I hope I´l get them this friday... and I will problibly try them with fire as soon as I get them and are used to the wight...

only been practising for a week and going out for a burn? Get ready for the pain smile

You guys above, come on!!! I don't think we at HOP are such trend leaders that we could persuade anyone to go out and mutilate themselves! GET OVER YOURSELVES! Just because they have "newbie" written in the box doesn't mean they are unable to think for themselves!

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I spun with fire after about a week. I all depends on whether or not you think you can spin well enough not to get burned. I don't know a single spinner who didn't get at least a little singed on their first burn. Its part of the learning curve.

And besides how many of the people who have been spinning for a long time can honestly say that they are capable of spinning without getting burned or singed every time they spin?

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zauberdachs

Just because they have "newbie" written in the box doesn't mean they are unable to think for themselves!

Some people still fire breathe with alcohol.

Point. Set. Match.

If there's anything smart about that at all, then please tell me? umm

When newbies come to HoP, that's what they are, complete newbies. We try to include them in the "spinners group" but until then, when they ask for serious advice, we should at least TRY to give them advice that won't get them burnt, multilated, scarred, or worse. We don't know how much of a newbie they are to know if it's right or not. And if they think they're taking serious advice from experts, then the results could be tragic.

Remember the two in the UK that tried to make "lightsabers" out of a glass tube filled with gasoline/petrol and then lit it?

It's all fun and games... mate. I like being lighthearted and all but stick to the silly chat forum for sarcasm and jokes.

I'm ashamed to be lumped with some of you people, and you ought to be glad that the real safety gurus like pele or OWD or any of the mods for that matter haven't found this thread.

Written by: OneFinalStep

And besides how many of the people who have been spinning for a long time can honestly say that they are capable of spinning without getting burned or singed every time they spin?

Anyone could if they chose not to wrap and have clean enough planes.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:

I spun with fire after about a week. I all depends on whether or not you think you can spin well enough not to get burned. I don't know a single spinner who didn't get at least a little singed on their first burn. Its part of the learning curve.

I did not get at all singed on my first fire spin, nor did I hit myself. I asked my freinds, and none of them got singed on their first burn either.

And again, out of the hundreds of burns I've done, I have only singed myself once and hit myself, without injury twice. I have never given myself a burn from fire spinning. And I have never seen any of the fire spinners I know singe or burn themselves. And I've only seen people hit themselves a couple of times.

And I'm not just talking about experienced fire spinners, I know a few newbies, who have only been spinning for a month, and they have not so much as hit themselves when spinning fire.

It is possible, if you take a little responsibility, have respect for the fire, and only do the moves you are comfortable doing.

It is so irrisponsible posting advice like "it's not how not to get burned", and things like scars are good, burning yourself is cool, which is basically what a lot of the posts are insinuating, to a newbie, who has no other knowledge of fire spinning, this is their source of information, and you are telling them to burn themselves. Comments like that should be saved for social chat, as Kael says, not for a thread asking for a SERIOUS piece of advice. Do you really want the fact a newbie who listnens to your advice and then goes and ends up with 75% 3rd degree burns on your conscious, because they ended up setting their clothes on fire and didn't know what to do, and didn't have a saftey who knew what to do?

Written by: Zauberdachs

You guys above, come on!!! I don't think we at HOP are such trend leaders that we could persuade anyone to go out and mutilate themselves! GET OVER YOURSELVES! Just because they have "newbie" written in the box doesn't mean they are unable to think for themselves!

Again I agree with Kael. When you're part of the fire community, you forget what it's like to not know what to do with fire poi. I remeber a time when I didn't know how you would light them, I would never have known about spinning off, and I would know they were dangerous, but I wouldn't think about all the possibilites, especially the fact that hair is so flammable.

The posts above have already demonstrated that many think burning themselves is cool, almost like a 'fashion' statement, lets not add another to their number.

Are you trying to say its fine to advise someone to not be safe. They may be able to think for themselves, but they can't do that if they do not have all the information and are therefore niiave. If it had only been people posting saying that spinning fire isn't something that needs to be taken seriously, then the newbie would probably know only this to be the case, especially when considering the average age of a lot of the spinners on this site. How do you know the newbie knows all the facts? Isn't it always the case you should tell them all the saftey precations to eliminate the possibility of them not knowing them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
See lightsabers already mentioned, people who set sock poi on fire, the thread peel started about performers who set a member of the audiences head on fire as an act and burned his child. See the numerous threads people start asking what fuel to use and mentioning petrol. See the idea of fire breathing with a cigarette in your mouth along with the fuel.

The list could go on just from things on this forum.

People are easily led, especially when its by people they believe know what there doing.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1134162027)

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
such people are always going to harm themselves with all the good advice in the world smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

The FIRST TIME I touched a staff it was on fire. I didn't burn myself.

First time with poi = Didn't burn myself. Rope Dart, didn't burn myself. Doubles, didn't burn myself. etc.

I've never burnt myself with poi. EVER.

I can, have and do spin without burning myself. I've been doing this for maybe 2 and a half years now, burns = 2. EVER. And the only bad one was in france at the time, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

I can honestly say that every professional spinner here, and most of the ones who are old-school, know EXACTLY where their comfort zones are when it comes to fire, if they stay in them, they will do a whole spin without getting burned. If they start trying moves outside of that zone, it's still highly unlikely they're get burned, cos they know when to quit while they're ahead....

Getting burned is NOT part of fire spinning.

Just like smashing your head open on rocks is NOT part of cliff diving.

If you ever say anything so stupid again, I'm going to come back up to st Andrews and EDUCATE YOU. With much smackdown.

Or force you to learn plate spinning, whichever is worse.

Where is a good sturdy brick wall for my head's use?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Where is a good sturdy brick wall for my head's use?

wink

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

The FIRST TIME I touched a staff it was on fire. I didn't burn myself.

First time with poi = Didn't burn myself. Rope Dart, didn't burn myself. Doubles, didn't burn myself. etc.

I've never burnt myself with poi. EVER.

I can, have and do spin without burning myself. I've been doing this for maybe 2 and a half years now, burns = 2. EVER. And the only bad one was in france at the time, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Ha! The old "if you burn yourself that's because you are a retard" school of fire safety education? Those were the days *wipes tear from eye* ubbrollsmile

But seriously anyone who reads the "burns are cool" comments and thinks "gee, I'd really better burn myself then" is beyond any of our help what so ever. You've stated the serious advice, now ignore the semi-sarcastic "burn yourself" crew. Newbies will understand the differece.

Page: