Page:
kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi, I´m new to this and i´m just wondering when u are using your poi and accedently hit yourself when you have them on fire, does it hurt mutch and do you burn your self right away? redface

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
eek

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
yeah got my pair of poi in the mail now... damn they were alot heavyier than i thouth... well well... play with them now until nightfall and then fire up! ubbangel

kajutanBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
now i´l done it....
First time with fire
damn it was fun.. what a rush! biggrin
can feel the andrenalin even now an halv hour later!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
wow. everything said before my post on the first page was the best advice evar, and now it's kind of gone to shite with "do as i say not as i do" pedagoguey.(sp?) mcp - don't ever burn yoursef, but try to get as close as possible to burning your hands?, kael - neck scars? i'm worried. everyone likes the risk tho, or they wouldn't even try the basics on fire.

Written by:

Secondly, which spinners in Glasgow? Certainly none of the ones I've come across do wraps with fire poi or burn themselves routinely. And, through various things, I've come across most of the serious poi spinners in Glasgow. A lot of which don't even spin fire.

whoever you were talking about in your posts on the first page, maybe? you seemed to understand there that it takes more responsibility to do wraps and tangles and such, not less. then i reminded you maybe of some guy who was stupid that you knew and now you're bashing fire wrappers? so i routinely do bounce wraps in short sleeves. maybe that's irresponsible to some degree. spirals, tangle wraps, and double wraps on the same bicep maybe a little more irresponsible... butterfly neck wrap sequences? all the above BTB, even less safe. i'm about to try one handed butterfly BTH neck wraps on fire next time i spin. biggrin maybe that's not even sane. i dunno. if i walk away from it, it must have been done safely tho, by my personal definition of safe. i'll ammend my first post too, thanks to keiron's prodding -- "Ever-growing possibility of self-mutilation is half the appeal of spinning fire..."

I'm not saying douse yourself in fuel, refuse to spin off and revel in the searing pain, either... but i've yet to spin more than 5 times in a night in the same clothes and not get at least one tracer of flame up a shoulder or a beat to the hip leaving a little flamage as the fuel burns off (before i can smother it). especially if i'm spinning off for first timers. that's "getting burned" to me, even if it doesn't touch skin, parts of things attached to me were on fire. it's going to happen and having the foresight to know what to do when it does happen might save you a more serious burn later. same with skin burns/wrapping instead of clothes --

what noone's mentioned that is actually the greatest secret of not getting seriously hurt in your fire spinnin career, professional or otherwise, is to wait 90 or more seconds after lighting up (depending on the wicks and fuel used, i'd say 120+ for 100% white gas with 4" cathedrals) before doing any kind of wrap or even clothing bounce if you can help it. there's a time in the beginning of a burn basically when the most fuel is still in the wicks and likely to transfer and also when the flame is hottest. i usually wait until then to go BTB still unless i'm super warmed up. then there's a flashout point near the end with most wicks where the flame has stopped burning fuel between the kevlar and is wicking it out of the fibre itself. depending on the age of the wick, they might be likely to go out here if you spin faster. i wait until this point usually to do anything labelled "less safe" thru "insane" above. see, it gets complicated and often is left with a hole or two in the baysian logic on whether any particular move is "safe". i know i've forgotten to shorten poi enough to bounce off the same bicep and curled hot metal onto my arm too often for comfort. because i know how to handle it, i live, i learn, i adjust. "whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger"??

i think there is a right/wrong and that accepting to get burnt on accident possibly and later on on purpose possibly and taking responsiblilty to plan on how to get out of it is the only right. everyone who's contributed more than a couple of posts here has agreed essentially. my wording was a little wrong in being so extreme, and i apologize to anyone who got the wrong impression on the consequences of that, but this is the core of my beliefs. i bet i spin no differently than those who tell others to believe differently. *shrug*

-- dut

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

i think there is a right/wrong and that accepting to get burnt on accident possibly and later on on purpose possibly and taking responsiblilty to plan on how to get out of it is the only right.
-- dut

Yeah precisely, unfortunately, what most of the thread was discussing was virgin fire spinners reading any part of this thread, thinking things were fine that were not totally safe, going out and trying it the first time they lit up, then blaming us. (Or blaming the people with a blase attitude to getting burned)

Essentially: advice from someone with a blase attitude to fire safety might be fine to give to a professional / experienced spinner, but not to a newbie.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

my wording was a little wrong

Sorry but it's a little wrong in general frown I can't really make out what you are trying to saying... confused

MCP's summary above is a good example of a concise and easy to follow statement of opinion. ubblove

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

Page: