screwbydoonewbie
4 posts

Posted:
hey,

i'm just a newbie trying to make practice poi. i want to use chains with tennis balls so when i actually want to switch to fire i'll be used to the weight of chains. so i'm wondering once i get the chain through the ball, how do i secure it? do i just stick some large thing metal connector or something on the other end to keep it from slipping back through the ball or is there some better way?

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
well...this probably isn't gonna be useful advice to u for making the poi, but it's more about what you're trying to make.

if u had just tennis balls on the ends of chains, the weight distribution would be more along the chain than at the head of the poi (unless u filled the tennis balls with weights as well), meaning it'd be even stranger to spin than fire poi and even normal poi.

i'm sure other people can add their advice to really help you though

It's better to burn out than to fade away

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
@screwbydoo: I've got a washer with a nail across it. The chain loops around the nail. Kind of hard to explain, but what you're suggesting should work; Something like a nail glued to the end of your chain should work.

@TheLost: That really depends on how heavy your chain is! Mine's very light so all the weight is in the tennis ball / wick.

Cake or Death?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Personally, I think its a bit of a myth about needing practice poi the same weight as fire poi, unless you are doing something really technical that relies on the weight of the poi being a certain amount, it doesnt really matter. When you get your fire poi, after spinning them unlit for 5-10 minutes you will be complealty used to the weight. People worry about it way too much, when it takes no time at all to adjust to weight differences.

I would recomend you just get a pair of long socks and put your tennis balls in the ends. They make it easier to learn certain moves with and in my opinion, look nicer than tennis balls anyway. They are also a lot easier to make as you don't need to do any drilling or attaching.

Good luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree with that last point, I started learning with tennis balls ages ago, but have since switched to socks with bags of (un-popped) popcorn in the ends. Sooo much easier to learn new stuff with, and considerably less painful when you hit yourself!

Cake or Death?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
And if you dont know where to buy long socks from... ask Brit_Joe wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm with pricklyleaf on this one.

I used to think having the weight of my practice poi approximate the weight of my fire poi was a lot more important than it really is. You'll get used to the weight of whatever you're spinning very quickly.

Having a few sets of poi with varying weights is a valuable learning aid IMO, glowsticks on strings ( very light ) will teach you plane control, whereas a set of heavier poi will teach you how to spin more slowly,

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
has Brit_Joe gotten over his fear of buying girls knee socks yet? tongue

*back on topic*

Agree with stout. Having different weights trains different aspects...a heavier poi set will help you swing slower and for me, it helped me learn technique easier.

Glowsticks were just stupid when i picked that up because I went from socks to monkey fists to glowsticks... had so many bruises it's unbelievable biggrin

Oh, by the way, Hyperlight? i've never tried to make poi with lighter chains so the only chains i'm familiar with are the oval stainless steel ones which are pretty damn heavy tongue

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
poi throws, isolations, etc rely on an intimate knowledge of a poi's weight distribution, handling. And frankly i don't have the skill of someone like deepshoulsheep who can pull off killer combos from oddly weighted poi, first time he picks em up. how shanti!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

screwbydoonewbie
4 posts

Posted:
thanx everyone for all the advice. think i'll ask for a new pair of sox for xmas.