droppdBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi there,

I'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong place, and please fell free to move it if need be.

I just got my first firestick. I'm fine with all the safety info and such, but I've been told by a friend (who doesn't spin) that the wicks need to be soaked for 3 days, as they're brand new. Is this correct? And is there anything else I need to do to prepare my wicks?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Seth

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
not for 3 days from what I've been told. I was informed 20 - 30 minutes for new wicks from a friend who had spun fire for years. Worked for my poi when I first had them. In general leave them to soak in kero (or whatever you're using) for about 5 - 10 minutes before spinning so the wicks soak up the fuel to the middle enjoy & take care weavesmiley

Are you up for it?
wink;)

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
well, me and a friend (using his staff) soaked it first for about 20 minutes. I might be hard to leave it there that long but i think the core of the wick need to be exposed to the fuel

"Quote coming soon..."

DanScorpnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I've heard that and from my experience its totally unnecessary. Proper fire wicks will saturate with fuel in about 30 Seconds. Submerge it in the fuel and wait until the air bubbles stop. Let the excess drain off and away you go. I've done this with many wicks and have never had a problem.