CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know of a tried and tested design for attatching magnesiun ribbon to a wick.Im hoping to use some in a set of towel wicks, so that at the end of my routine, they ignite, i can go out in a blindingly bright blaze of glory mmmmmwwwwwwhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaa.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nice idea CAU...and I haven't a clue how to attach them but I do have a question...how would you get them to hold off igniting till the end of your routine if they are attached to your flaming wicks? I am really interested, though I think I would think twice of using them myself...have you ever stood near a strip as it went off? The flash was blinding! cool*Pele now imagining herself blinded and groping around the stage on hands and knees dragging a trail of firey poi behind her smile*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 19 April 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
not to be discouraging, but i would think that the ribbon would be consumed very fast, so like pele said, you'd have to attach them at the end, or something. if you had them on the beginning, i dont think they would even last a minute if they were on fire, but thats speculation.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The thing is...towel wicks don't burn through immediately. So if you wrap them inside the wick...you run the good chance of it not going off but if you put it on the outside it'll go off way too soon...which is why I am interested in hearing the technicalities on this one. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Pele is right. magnesium burns very quickly. there are other alternatives but all of them involve elements that react to air.one would have to take it out of the oil and attach it to the wick immediatly to get it to work. Using sparklers works. the thing you have to do is talk to the incendium team. dravon has sparkly poi.ask him.site is www.incendium.orgpeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
As soon as i get the order of the ribbon through (god knows how much longer it'l be ! tongue ), ill try putting them in the middle of a set of wicks. I've now moved from towel to denim as ive found i can get more than one burn out of it. so ill try and put then about a third of the way in . ill keep ya updated tongue

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
CAU...I get between 5 and 10 burns out of my towel wicks. Even when I started with them I never only got one burn. smileCheers------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
of course you'd also have to worry about one side burnign through faster and then having only one mag strip light, then later the other one going off. whcih might not be such a bad thing, but who knows. sparklers sound awesome.

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I just tried twirling sparklers the other night. It was great, because i can't do fire yet. Pity they only last such a short time though smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey, How do you intend to attach the stuff securely, it burns quite hot!!!The idea of magnesium lighting and then being launched into the crowd kind of scares me....Good luck

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
Are you sure that magnesium can be lit from whatever fuel you're using?From vague memory, I think it needs to be lit with something like a bunsen burner or blowtorch. Not to sure if a (spun) kero/paraffin flame will get that hot...

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it only takes a spark to ignite Magnesium. We use it in big bars for igniting camp fires. We just shave a little off, and it sets off our tinder, starting the campfire. You can get the bars at almost any camping store. I think it would be kewl to put some around your wicks, an then use those kewl brushed steel tiki torches from wal-mart to ignite it. Whatever.-PSM------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
hey! i like that quote psymonk.

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Why thank you grin I like it too. I just wish I could take credit for it.

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon