Forums > Social Discussion > Drink Spiking and being aware!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I had a rather crap night the other night at work, it became apparent to me that a girl was not just drunk, I had served her a drink about half an hour before and she was fine, then she came back to me and was, well, pretty much not aware of where she was, her pupils were really weird and she wasnt concentrating on anything. Behind her was a guy that came in on his own and I thought was looking a bit shady all night, after she was talking to me and asked me for another drink, i apologised and said that I couldnt serve her anymore because she seemed "More than drunk" I could see him looking over at me and giving me a really odd look, then he came over and tried to grab her and take her back to his seat, I told her to wait at the bar for 2 minutes I went over to the girls that came in with her and asked if they knew who he was and they said no he came in and bought her a drink and they started chatting, I pointed out her state that they seemed to have not noticed and they were shocked and said things like 20 minutes ago she was fine etc

I asked them if they could look after her because I believed she had been drugged they sat her down and I told the bouncers, as they started to approach the man he ran out the other entrance.

After getting her a drink of water I asked if she wanted us to test her drink and she agreed, the test proved positive for GHB & Ketamine which are both substances used in drink spiking. After calling police etc giving details and have made sure hes barred from all the pubs in the area. She came in later and thanked me for my response and she kept saying how unaware she was of him doing anything and 'how nice he seemed'.

I guess I'm writing this to highlight the issue of safe drinking, we all know that drinking comes with dangers but I dont think that spiking of drinks is highlighted enough. As I saw that night it is incredibly easy for people to spike others drinks. Please be aware!
Here are some statistics for you:
In England approx 12,000 people have their drinks spiked
Australia have 4,500
USA 24,000, remember all these are just the reported cases!

94% of victims are female

40% are sexually assaulted

65% have absolutely no recollection of the evening and often arent aware they have been sexually assaulted until they seek medical attention.

Between 10% and 20% of those that are sexually assaulted catch an STD from the incident.

Spiking of drinks is a serious thing and I hope by me saying all this you ladies and some of you guys will take as much care as possible when out drinking because it can all end with a lot worse than a hangover!

There are preventative measures that you can take, many bars now give these out free

Non-Https Image Link

They fit in alcopop bottles like Smirnoff Ice and WKD, they often dsicourage would be spikers due to the difficulty it would be to subtely drug the drink. There are also tests that you can buy which unfortuantely not many bars have but you can buy them yourself and bring them out with you, they are very small, about the size of a credit card and test for drugs like GHB and ketamine and also claim to test for benzodiazepines, however they arent always reliable because some drink substances like milk (if your having a milky cocktail) can affect the test.

Really the best thing you can do is to just be aware, if possible always be in clear site of your drink, and if someone offers to buy you a drink who you dont know be with them when they buy it and always kepe in site. If you want to go dance or go to the toilet be aware of who you are leaving your drink with, preferably leave it with friends.

Be vigilant and be safe, most bartenders take drink spiking very seriously and will offer you lots of help and advice so dont be afraid to ask, fi you believe you've been spiked tell your friends and tell the bartender and he/she will alert the bouncers and the police.

Drink safe

Will
hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
This drinks tester is recommended by roofie

https://www.drinkdetective.com/

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
gotten my fill of LSD in a bottle of water on Koh Phangan... only knew the girl briefly and she didn't appear full on at the time I drank away the rest of the bottle (at 6am) - nicely it lasted 24hrs and I was happy during, but even more happy by the time it was over - gosh what a trip - it coincidentally was on Buddha's birthday and everything was just............. liquid. ubbangel ubbloco rolleyes

2 years later I was on some party (on the same island) and my (back then) girlfriend let herself invite for drinks and accepted water offered - I asked her to basically decline, as we have enough money to afford our own, but she got all angry at me about it - suggesting I'd be jealous. Maybe I was over-protective, but not jealous shrug

Funny enough, when we broke up a few months later she suspected ME of having her drink spiked, as "the energy and experience that we shared back on our first halfmoon-party at Paradise Falls was too strong to have resulted from a few puffs and our love only"... shrug

For you girls out there: If you play that game of "not having to spend any money on drinks all night", 'cause the guys givem' you for free (and I'm talking about all those nice guys (and total strangers)... shrug Xcuse me, BabyBoo but I'm afraid we're almost jumping back on the same track in this one... soapbox help footinmouth rolleyes

I consider it criminal to put "additives" in drinks, or charge joints with mushies, whithout prior information and permission and there is no excuse for it.

The best way to protect yourself from it, is to have someone watching out if you're facing a stranger encountering you, buy your own or at least join him while he picks up the drink at the bar and hold on to it.

I find it completely saddening that some ppl just have such criminal stupidity in their heads, but this is no new phenomenon... why do we have to be peranoid about each other. Guys can go out and HOPE that their drinks get spiked wink tongue Women can't.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
A fellow spinner and very good friend of mine had her drink spiked a couple of weeks back.

She was out and about in town, and I saw her just before she went to work were she seemed fine - just a little drunk.

Apparently she got to work, and had a panick attack in the loo's, then went outside to get some air and carried on walking all the way home.

Her behaviour was so unusual from that of her normally when shes drunk, so she went and got checked out at the doctors.

He said 99% sure taht it was a spiked drink.

She was sacked, but thankfully a doctors note made sure she got it back. We're still waiting on the test results.

A wake-up call for her and our circle of friends.

Drinks are never left un-attended even for a second now.
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1162492549)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:

Another cautionary note, particularly for those travelling...

It is common in Thailand to spike drinks, and also other things. All sorts of weird drugs get used. I have nursed many a fellow traveller down from freaky trips when they did not know the cake/coke/water/omelette /whatever had drugs in it. Also seen some sad day after events, when people wake up where they should not be and no awareness of what happenned.

Sometimes this is malicious, with intent to rob rape etc, sometimes the person who offers you the drugged item thinks you know what is being offered, and want it. Language difficulties impede communication, and people serving may be overly cautious about stating outright the illegal substance They may use obscure innuendos that may not mean anything in your culture, and actually think you understand what you are getting into! Ko Phan Gan is notorious for this.

So watch out for those "special" shakes and omelettes,and sharing the "party" bucket drinks-- it may be a little more special than you bargained for!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Banshee, you're not talking about those guys and girls in Thailand who do that on purpose? umm

Seems to be the favorite past time: get as pissed as somehow possible WAY BEFORE 12 noon and then continue...

But basically you're completely right - thanks for pointing this out... hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
ANY spiked drinks..........................please send them to me wink

i'll even tell you what was in them too ubblol

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Thankies for the recomendation for the drugs test. I had a staff meeting last week at the pub and i did suggest drug tests to be kept behind the bar. We are part of the "drug-watch" scheme - being a city centre pub and all, and so not only are we getting tests we are getting posters to increase awareness, etc etc.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Cool Toobie. Well done for bringing the subject up. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*bumpity bump*

Anti-Drink Spiking Laws

I think it's a great step forward for preventing sexual assault!

Although as a bartender I'm naturally wondering the role I can play in it. Sorry to break the news boys, but there are females other than strippers privy to bucks nights (stag nights) and there's been many a time I've seen shots poured into the buck's beer...but I can't just go banning all shots. Way to get the party pissed off! And when I'm a little female surrounded by drunk men - I like to not piss them off!

But yeah, that aside - good to see the government taking steps forward instead of back when it comes to sexual assault! clap

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Rougie, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the law. If I put out a bowl of punch and there's alcohol in it and I forget to put a sign or tell everyone and someone gets drunk, did I spike it?

How are you going to prove it? It seems either unenforceable or too prone to rounding up innocents.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not pro-spiking by any means. However, there needs to be some way of enforcing such a law fairly...or it should not be on the books.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah totally agree on that one! Didn't think about thinks like punch!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Page: