DeToXnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Hello! I have been practicing for over 2 months... And I feel as if i'm ready to light... But, i'm curious to what do I use to light it? Do I use a special type of maybe oil or something? Thanks for your help! smile

-Rocky

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Try reading this article about fuel types, as well as the fire safety section and fire guides.

After two months of learning and practice, I'd say you probably have enough skills to do fire poi (weaves, butterflies, windmills, etc.) Good luck and let us know how it goes! smile

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Never Spin Alone!

im sure its in the fire safety guide, but it sounds like you've been practicing alone, and its dangerous to spin fire alone, always have a spotter or 2 jsut to make sure your havent ignited yourself! Parafin is the best thing to use due to its high flash point and clean burn. and do things you're comfortable with, thats one of the most important things.

have you tried spinning with your fire poi without lighting them? because the weight will probabily be very different to whatever you have been using so far, so get some practice in with them first, and most of all, have fun!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Just relax. Most people tend to get scared the first time they spin with fire. Start off with the moves that you are most comfortable with for the first few spins.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
If you know someone who already does fire poi to show you what to do then that would be ideal. If there is noone in your area, or no burn nights that you could go to even as a one off to light up for the first time with someone who knows what they are doing, then make sure you read up on the topic fully, as fire spinning is dangerous.

Also make sure you have someone with you, and don't attempt any wraps around your limbs, at least until you more experienced.

Good luck, have fun!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeToXnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks! You know... I've heard a lot about this "White Gas". Where can I pick some up?

I thank you guys for your guidence. You know... After two months and countless times of hitting myself in the crotch... I'm not too bad. I actually got some Poi from Flamma Aeterna. That's what i've been practicing with. But, as far as weight... Would the oil really add that much? And, what should I do with the oil? I mean, do I dunk it in something? or is it like a spray type deal? Damn, i'm a noobie... haha... I can spend 5 years in the Marines... But, I can't figure out to light two little wicks... wow...

Thanks again. smile

-Rocky

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
you should ideally have:
a metal conatiner with a lid for dunking in - this way if the fuel dump catches fire you can replace the lid and put out the fire

a plastic bottle on a string/ spin off bucket - you put your poi in the bottle/bucket and spin them round after you have dunked them. All the excess fuel is collected in the bottle instead of flying all over the place

some sort of safety precautions - somebody with a fire blanket and extinguisher is useful

somebody to watch you and make sure you're not on fire (you should ALWAYS have this!)

that covers a few basics, but also make sure you let your wicks soak for 10 minutes before you light them, so the fuel can penetrate to the center of the wick

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeToX

Thanks! You know... I've heard a lot about this "White Gas". Where can I pick some up?

-Rocky

Ok, now read the saftey information again! White gas is a dangerous fuel to use for spinning as it has a low flash point (meaning it ignites more easily and burns at a higher temperature). Although many people use it there has been a lot of discussion as whether its safe for instance here

[Old link]

Do a search and you will find lots more, that was just the first I found.

It definately is not a good fuel to do you first spin with as it transfers easily, meaning if you hit yourself the fuel and flame will transfer onto the spot you hit and continue to burn, basically setting yourself on fire.

You would be much better using kerosene, most people only reccomend using white gas if they specifically need it, for instance to used the fact it transfers for certain tricks, or if they are doing a burn inside.

I really recommend you watch this, its free and contains information that you need BEFORE you light up. It also demonstrates how to light up.

download here

If you have trouble downloading stuff then the page also contains a link to where you can order it on DVD, again for free.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson