Forums > Social Chat > House Sharing Check-List

Login/Join to Participate

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I've done a search... (notice how often people, including myself, now do this to cover their arses!)

I'm moving out in January and moving in with a mate and a mate of his. We are going to rent a place in Melbourne but basically, i'm wondering, what kind of things do we need to talk about?

Sure there's location (sorted), price (sorted) and that kind of stuff. But what's the best way to go about furnishings? Like couches and TVs and that sort of thing. To be completely honest, I have no idea about these things (except to not live with Mech wink ) so any advice on this area in general would be greately welcomed!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
1) you need a big bed!
2) and a big fridge.
3) and a big TV.
4) wait for me to fly down to oz and occupy numbers 1-3

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
waiting for you to get your arse to Oz will be the biggest point of contention, methinks.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
don't forget a washing machine!

I lived without one for two years...hanwashing is a pain in the arse when you can't afford to go to a laundromat!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
If you are a rampnat non smoker like me discuss it before where ppl can smoke.

Go spartan with furniture to start. Furniture tends to get doinated

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i have no idea about rules and renting in oz...

our place came with furniture... just have to try not break it anymore than it was by the time we leave wink (remember to do an itinery when you move in of what is there - especially important when landlords try to keep your deposit)

with the whole renting thing...

letting agencies over here charge but ours seems ok now...

our first landlord wasnt - but we learnt from it

remember to check for gas certificates and fire alarms!

find out who the water / electricity / gas comes from so you can change over the names on bills

figure with the landlord what you can / cant change about the place

get the contract checked by a friend or family or someone who knows incase of anything which could effect you later

not sure bout council tax for you???

things like finding out what day rubbish is collected and recycling and stuff isnt to much hassle...

you can have loads of fun making it like your own place biggrin

and yeah... washing machine is a must! hug

things you'll prob have to share... bills, washing up liquid, toilet roll, cleaning stuff... there's lots to buy!

figure out best ways of desciding rooms, and maybe try to share out sorting bills...

we just got a compost bin!!! tis lots of fun, generally never had too many issues, just all have to be understanding and try to all help out

hmmm... if i think of other things i'll come back
EDITED_BY: Psycho_lemming (1132927458)

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
for couches -

- either wait till a council cleanup and pick one off the side of the road (we picked up a lovely old 3 piece sofa set off our neighbours front lawn and it know is our outdoor suite.

- or got to ebay. you should be able to pick a second hand one up for 150ish bucks.

mechs ok to live with - just feed him lots of rice and hes happy! wink
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1132930095)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I just found he was generally easy as long as me and Alice let him think we were lesbians!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
charity shops are great for picking up cheap furniture- cheaper than ebay by a long way! Near me the salvation army is particularly good.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
most definitely need to talk about bills before you move in! i have found phone bills can be a point of conflict...can i suggest either get that thing the major phone company in australia has where each person has their own code to punch into the phone so then you only get billed for your calls?? a lil extreme i know...but handy if you're not sure people will cough up for their 1900 or international calls! tongue

umm...furniture...yes...go with the spartan thing that gnor suggested! people really do donate furniture sometimes!! biggrin

lemming - most real estate agents here (i think they actually have to) have these checklist thingies...basically you go thru every room making sure everything works & isn't damaged...then if it doesn't work or is damaged you write it on this form. then if that changes when you move out...not good. or good - if there's something broken when you move in you can ask/tell them to fix it!! biggrin

oh & don't forget you'll need plates & bowls & cooking stuff too! tongue

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
We move in tomorrow!

It was going to be Monday, but tomorrow it is! So signing stuff and moving stuff tomorrow morning! We are going to live a very spartan existance for the first month or so, with bean bags, deck chairs and bricks and timer for shelving! But we at least have a house, in a good location and for a good price!

I don't need to be up there for a month yet, but I'm going to stay up there during the week (I work on weekends until I find a job up there) so we can establish a "family" sort of atmosphere.

Really looking forward to it! But really nervous about having to have responsibilities and be an adult!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Oh since moving into a house share can I also mention the big problem there can be with shared house work and also shared amenities (and the things you use in the amenities like toilet paper!) make sure you establish some sort of roster for house work and change it round weekly so that it is all fair and square.

Also you can either roster who buys the essentials for the house (toilet paper, dishwahing liquid etc...) or you can but a couple of buck in a kitty each week (everyone in the house) and who ever goes shopping takes it with them to buy it.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
with the essentials, we are going to put it in a kitty.

And as for house work, he have talked about it and come to no specific conclusion but we sort of worked out something for washing dishes at least!