JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
The other day I got this neat little sticky/stretchy toy from a vending machine. It's on a stretch string dealie with a little booger hand at the end. Anyway, the point of all this is that as i ws swinging it, I noticed that if I swung slow- small circles, and the if i swung faster i made large circles. After playing with that concept I went out and tried it on a larger scale with light bungee cords and a weight at the end to give it the pull needed to stretch.

So as I embark on what seems like a new poi fronteer... I have to know, has anyone else ever tried this. I thought it was decently original. Experiences. good idea, bad idea? I think it's got potential.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
My sock poi are fairly stretchy - does that count?

Cake or Death?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive done that with the glowy stretchy yo-yo ball things. Similar to your stretchy hand but with more weight and a glowy on the end. Ive also considered using bungee cord in my fire poi set but never got around to it. And yeah, socks are stretchy too.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Aren't socks more 'bouncy' than 'stretchy'?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well the sock bit stretches when you spin.. I guess you could say the end is bouncy... but either way, I'd say you're being picky wink

Cake or Death?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Sounds likea cool idea jaykitty, im just having trouble imagining it. Got a vid?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Try reading this bit again: "I noticed that if I swung slow- small circles, and the if i swung faster i made large circles."

can you see a picture of it? smile

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
ill try and post something with it or try to get a video up as soon as i figure it out. It's a nice concept... yeah that last thing doesnt make sense. Anyway, yeah, the faster you swing, the bigger the cirlces. Socks are strechy, but I'm talking something that can expand at least twice it's size. It'll be a poi revolution, we can make our own video! Elispses of light?

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
I don't know about stretchy poi but on the end of one of the COL6 vid clips in the gallery there's a guy who uses what looks like a wick on the end of a bungee rope i.e he throws it away it stretches and comes back. I have know idea what it is, but I would love to know.

To play it safe is not to play

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Hey Fireboy.....Pretty sure you are referring to the Rope dart routine on COL2005....Try a search on Rope dart as there is some info on it.....

Hope that helps

juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle
EDITED_BY: Kombi guy (1138136839)

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Andrew up here in Newcastle uses a pair of fire poi with short chains then bungee cord through to the handgrips. Seems to work well.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Thanks Kombi guy
I just spent time looking it up and apparently rope dart is dangerous and can even kill. Sounds like fun but I think I will ask around and see if there is anyone who can teach me before I go and hurt or kill myself.
Thanks again though. biggrin

To play it safe is not to play

JayKittyGOLD Member
534 posts

Posted:
Rope dart is pretty shibby looking, it was a really nice routine. I finally got a working prototype of stretch poi. Weak bunjee cords did the trick, shortish one, but they work pretty well.

It's an interesting style, spin slow and on a few down swing give one of them a real hard swing and possibly a nice turn. Still working on trying some other uses for it.

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Unusual idea, but creative, and VERY cheap budget, lol. Not wealthy? (Just kidding) The strechiness isn't a problem is it? Hehe.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

n8xxSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
SURGICAL TUBING. i built a pair of poi a few years ago. (i still use them.) but i use the largest size of surgical tubing that i could find. you tie a knot in each end to attack a metal o-ring or link of chain. make sure the not is big and tight(more than just one knot.) them use 20g wire twisted around the knot to make sure its tight. while using them you can get big circles when you go fast. you just got to make sure you keep moving with them (and they wouln't burn.) be very careful and always check them before and after use. but they are a lot of fun. enjoy!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
my first poi were nylons... the stretch was cool but so not helpful for learning...after i get the basics down more thinking neon fishnets with white socks and have a little fun with the uv or opaque black nylons with uv or glow in the dark paint...definitely going back to stretchy poi later

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Zander1dsxnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
the stretch is great for isolations but instead of a uv effect why not use fire the video listed below are fire sock poi and i am pretty sure they will work(see videos section for a building explination)

Strechey fire poi