doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
please, any advice would be much apreciated.
if anyone knows what over the counter drugs to make it more bareable, how to make a splint for a middle toe, how to tell if its broken/sprained.. etc.
thanks to you all.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:

I'd advise you get it checked out by a GP as soon as you can.

x-ray is probably the only way to be sure if its broken.

Until you can get to see a GP, try strapping the bad toe to the one next to it, with plasters. If it still bends you might have to put a small lolly stick between the two before you strap them together.

hug I hope it feels better soon hun hug2

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
General painkillers should help mask the pain a little but good grief see a doctor if you think it's broken

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Can you touch it?

If you can touch it without it hurting, its most likely not to be broken.
If you cant touch it without causing serious pain, most likely it is broken.

How did you cause yourself this injury anyway? confused

Were you playing football with a cannonball again? umm

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
away to casualty with you!!!

Men cannot fix themselves, contrary to poopular belief!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Last time (and the only time) I broke a toe, i didn't do anything about it.
But I couldn't walk on it for ages. And it hurt like hell.

Hospitals can't do much about it anyway.

I advise pain killers (I like Ibruprofen) & keeping off it for a while.

But then i'm not the most sensible person in the world.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Talk to the doctors...

and please, don't strap it to the toe next to it with plasters...Take it to the doctors, and the nurse will will kindly dress it properly, including making sure they don't rub against each other and develop sweat rash between them either.

Also, broken or badly hurt toes are treated the same way, except the doctors need to look at the break with an Xray to make sure you haven't had a major break. or that the bone may heal into more than one piece (does sometimes happen with bad small bone breaks). If that happens you will lose the use of your toe completely, and will need surgery to correct it.

So take it to the doctor!

Also, there may be some blood pooling inside the toe somewhere, which the doctors will look for. If there's lots of blood, it could restrict blood flow to the rest of the toe, and you may need to get the toe chopped off if left untreated.

Go to the doctor!

For me, .....please..... frown

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Charles is right.

OK...so you aren't going?

Really, we don't do much of anything for broken toes. We just give you paracetamol, pat you on the head, and tell you to stay off it a few days if possible. We don't splint it because there's no evidence that's helpful and it's just begging for a pressure sore or nasty maceration/infection.

1) Don't take ibuprofen. Ibuprofen can slow bone healing. Use acetaminophen/paracetamol.
2) If the toe turns bluish or dark, that's venous blood. Elevate the foot and it should return to normal. If it doesn't, then go to the ER.
3) If the toe turns white and doesn't pink up, that's a lack of arterial blood. ER. IMMEDIATELY. Before gangrene sets in.
4) If it's not feeling better in 2-3 days, go to the doctor and make sure you don't have some sort of displaced fracture elsewhere in your foot.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i broke my big toe when i high sided my bike infront of a truck last year, it hurt like buggery (can i say that?). doctors couldn't do much with it and i was off work for a while, i can still bend it but not as freely as i could.

761 posts

Posted:
thank you all so much.charles i was actually told that plastering the toes was the best thing to do, but i didnt. Doc , i did take ibuprofen(i think) but its paracetemol all the way for anything like that again. it never turned blue, and its not so sore anymore, i can touch and move the toe without pain. its a little tender when i go up & down stairs. but thanks to your careful advice i will be better realy soon.

UCOF , i wasnt playing canonball football again... i wish i could say something cool and manly like i was rock climbing or working in the house and dropped a wall on it or something. i walked into a phone book in the hallway in the flat. redface oh im such a klutz!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol
You broke your toe on a phone book?!?!

biggrin

761 posts

Posted:
Nah just bruesed it badly.

on a phone book
EDITED_BY: doctor_fandango (1132911633)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol hug

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
ubblol
Don't feel too bad, I broke my big toe running up cement stairs without shoes on. eek But I had to go snowboarding in the morning, so I just taped to my second toe and it was alright.

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...