Forums > Technical Discussion > firetoys fibreglass contact staff

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
has anyone tried / got any opinions on these?

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Firetoys_Firbre_Pro_contact_Staff.html

cheers

Ezra / Quiet

ture na sig

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Damn, beat us to it. Obviously they chose fibreglass because like us, they wanted to copy mystek. Shame they hideously overpriced it.

They still haven't figured out that centre weighting is not a good thing for contact staffs. What staffers they supposedly found to test their stuff don't know their stuff.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm not a great contact staffer, but the best staff I ever used for contact was made by tePOOKa. And, you can get a pair of them for less than that one staff.

Trust in Meg, She knows her stuff!!

(PS, Sorry about the shameless plug wink)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
k, you've convinced me smile

ture na sig

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
bouncy staves makes my ordinary contact skillz more....ordinary.
they make my steves look like bills (which is bad)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
I too dislike bouncy staves for contact. I've got a LED staff that literally sometimes bounces off my shoulders when i try to do a halo and other moves (might be cool to some, but it's not what I'm looking for).

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
if you want fibreglass, go get a mystek from henries, cos they are SEXY.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Just like yooooooooooo.

smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ubbloco

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
They are dead sexy, but crap (in my opinion) for contact. Why the preference for fiberglass Meg?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I think it's sexy? It sounds totally futuristic, like adding kewl letters on the sinclair ZX to make it more sexy.

It's not metal, or wood, which makes it enigmatic and mysterious.

I mean you could possibly use delrin or something, but I mean really, with a name like that, will it really catch on?

Ohhhh, don't say their crap, I really want one! They have cool graphics on the website and everything!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get a video camera for christmas instead... Muhahahahahahaahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *cough*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im all about metal and wood

tech should stay where it belongs, and in teh hands of geeks, not in teh hands of jugglers, clowns noses have not changed in a long time why should staffs wink

im with knox, now if you coated your staff in nasty boy racer carbon fiber, then it would be wicks wink

Step (el-nombrie)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
don't get me wrong...they're great staffs, just not brilliant for contact...

but enigmatic...oooh yes they are...

m_fofnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

They still haven't figured out that centre weighting is not a good thing for contact staffs. What staffers they supposedly found to test their stuff don't know their stuff.

Quick question? Have you actually tried them. I bought one a few weeks ago and i think the weighting distribution is great. The entire staff is heavy, including the middle, but the metal ends and the absolutely huge wicks means that the weight is far more at the ends than in the middle. Also, they dont flex, they just aren't completely hard... I think its a great contact staff and at least they put proper amounts of wick on them unlike some other companies.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What about fibre-glass for short throwing stick?

Seems to say it's quite heavy....

Bending should no longer be a problem.

Would it snap under high throws?

EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1134555917)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
meg are the fibergalss ones they use, the same a hops ones?

cos i think they are no?

ifthats the case then yes you are totly justified, and i back you in what you say wink

else NO MEG YOU ARE WRONG! wink

i think they should be fine for short stick, as for shiots you would use a smaller roll of wick, not 4inch?

Step (el-nombrie)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No I haven't. I've tried loads of fully cored staffs and hated every one. I tried their contact staff and couldn't stand it, it went too fast, it was too heavy, and it was too short. They still seem to think that 1.4 is the largest any staff should need to be, and they told me so. As well as charging high prices for them.

But that's my opinion, so feel free to flame me for it.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
46 quid !?!? for a 1.2 with 65mm wicks? Jeez.

I'd want a titanium staff and sexual favours for that much mulla eek

Just my opinion however...

Also I was under the impression from the people I've talked to that the ideal characteristics of a contact staff were:

1. Good weighting on the ends to provide momentum.

2. Slightly bendy/springy, but not bouncy, to provide momentum.

3. slightly thicker to provide more surface area to "grip" the body.

I'm not sure a fully cored staff, with 65mm wicks and made of fibreglass satisfies any of those.

However, everone likes their staffs made differently so I'm sure it'll suit someone wink

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

m_fofnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
The firetoys fibre staff is the first fibre glass staff i've seen for under 65 quid, presumably because fibreglass isn't cheap.

Other fibre staffs are:

The mystec, has fibreglass all the way through but less of it, lighter than the firetoys one, more flexy and thinner and costs 80 quid (it does split into 3 parts but that does not make it spin better)

The concentrate staff has more weight in the middle than on the outside (it only has fibreglass in the middle section), has virtually no wick on it and costs 65 quid.

The firetoys one is loaded with tough wick and feels great. It is currently the most affordable fibre staff by 20 quid and is virtually indestructible. It completely satisfies all 3 of your criteria for a good staff so i recommend you dig someone out who owns one so you can make a more informed review.

M

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Cool, would love to try it.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Having read all of the above (and despite my immense respect for Meg and Henry's opinions) I decided to buy a couple of these anyway.

They should arrive tomorrow, and I'll let you know what I think.

At the end of the day, if they're sh*t I don't care, as I just won the money playing poker against stupid americans! Bwah hah hah!

I would have bought a tePooka stick, but they can't post them next day delivery for a fiver. Or can they? Anyone wanna prove me wrong?

:devil;

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
They have arrived.

At 1m 40, they are a little shorter than I'm used to, but first impressions:

They are made really well, the grip is excellent, as is the weighting of the sticks. Did a bit of contact in the lounge the second I unpacked them, and they feel lovely. Will head down the beach and test them properly, and give a full review in a bit.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

6,978 posts

Posted:
oooh these are exciting times we liveth..

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Too true Bender old chap, too true. "Interesting times" almost...

Ok, after 24 hours of chucking these things about here is my super-quick review:

140cm is a bit short, but I'll adapt.

The weight: The sticks are obviously heavier in the middle than at the ends. This means that although they are lovely and heavy, there's not as much momentum as there would be if the weight was distributed more towards the ends. Still, heavy is good.

Fibreglass resin seems pretty groovy, and flexes nicely when doing kick ups and whatnot, I can't see these sticks getting bent out of shape the way metal ones tend to, or snapping like wooden ones. Should mean they live a long time.

Other than the above negatives, they seem absolutely lovely, and I will have much fun jumping about like a loon with them. Definitely the best sticks Firetoys have ever done, but they could use better weight distribution, and they need a 150-160cm stick.

I still want a 6 foot tePooka stick of course...

devil

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

The sticks are obviously heavier in the middle than at the ends

Wow. Thats an attribute thats equally rubbish for contact and spinning. What an incredibly rubbish idea!

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*stands next to his monkey*

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mags The Jedi

I would have bought a tePooka stick, but they can't post them next day delivery for a fiver. Or can they? Anyone wanna prove me wrong?
:devil;

could do if you ask nicely smile

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Wow. Thats an attribute thats equally rubbish for contact and spinning. What an incredibly rubbish idea!

Well, yes AND no. It's very heavy, so i can do everthing i want to do with it, but yeah, it's a bit odd. I'll show you what I mean at Fal.

Zauberdachs>> PM on it's way. smile

devil

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
I have one of these, have to say i love it to bits, all my sticks are four foot anyway, so the length doesn't bug me, and if you think the weights wrong... more wick never goes amiss? and yeah, its REALLY heavy, the heaviest i've used, very deceptive considering how sleek it is
anyway, i think its a tres smooth spin smile

*produces sandwich- is happy*

6,978 posts

Posted:
I'll reserve me judgement 'till i ever twirl with one personally (having said that, i both agree wif your opinion on preferred staff weighting! i quite like heavy ends.)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
are you talking about the fibre 1 (640g) or the newer fibre II (950g) staffs ?

I saw an add for the fibreII that made it sound very appealing ("The discreet flex provided by the fiberglass is firm enough to not hinder play but still absorb shock from the highest throws. The core is now so strong you can start to play with bounces and kicks off knees and feet for impressive fire balls with no risk of snapping or bending. ")

not sure where to put whats left of my money tho, but I'd like to gt a good staff before I go to falmouth6.

I currently only own a firefreaks staff ( https://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=349
)

which I've enjoyed learning some things on (I can just about do a steve, and keep it spinning feeding my wrists under it like a poi TTN, or bouncing on 1 wrist), and want to get another for duals some day, but I'd like something heavier to learn real contact stuff, and with a proper grip.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Page: