Forums > Technical Discussion > firetoys fibreglass contact staff

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
has anyone tried / got any opinions on these?

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Firetoys_Firbre_Pro_contact_Staff.html

cheers

Ezra / Quiet

ture na sig

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
just found this thread after buying one online, the mixed messages have worried me... but hey i find out for myself in 3 days, will post then with my opinion.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I visited Banbury market on Saturday and bought one (the fibre II), I didn't really get to try it much there, everyones comments have been 'WOW that's heavy' and I'm not sure about the bouncyness, I'll try get used to it a bit more.

The silicon grip is a bit odd, slips about kindof, and is a bit 'raw' on the skin. It comes with a wax canvas case that it just fits in perfectly, I think it'd be too tight even if you'd actually put foil on the ends, and seems a bit daft if you follow the instructions advice on dipping the wicks quickly before packing for preservation.

I've not burnt it in yet, going to wait and see if it'll grow on me, I'll get used to the weight, it's not really a prob except with horizontal spins swapping from standing to leaning forward so it's BTB (no idea what that's called, copied it from jet li smile )) if I decide I don't like it I'll try sell it at Fal or the BJC.

couple of the guys here who'd been doing mostly non contact stuff for quite a while really loved it tho.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
ok

I'm pretty damned sure i'm going to get 2 mystek 3 sectional fire staffs. However can someone confirm or me that most of the weiight is in the end, it looks like the case from what I've seen bu I'm not sure.

thanks

--max--

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
oo, pricey..

They do look very cool, and it seems MCP's a big fan, but I wasn't a fan of the idea of the non flush grip.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I think Firetoys new silicone grip is w@nk, and I told them so.

It a) pulls out all the hairs on your arms, and

b) slips like a slippy fish if you sweat even a little (or like me, a LOT)

Add that to the weight issues discussed above, and frankly, the te Pooka sticks knock seven shades of sh1t out of them. My piggy bank has their name on it.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
i've given these staffs a week long intensive work out and after initial hatred i have warmed to them (as has my eye, elbow and forearm, a little too warmed!)
yep, they pull out your hairs (saves waxing mags smile ) painfully,
are at least 10cm too short for me
that grip thing in the wet is shite
and the bounce annoyingly shows off my lack of control. but my staffing (and strength, heavy but not as bad as the double wick ones for positioning of weight) has come along massively this week, so, can i really complain?
oh, and one of the wick bolts has snapped in half after 2 days.
i agree that tepooka looks great and will buy from there in future - although my freind had £1000 taken out of their account after buying poi from them, this was used for online gambling and returned after a complaint was made, guess they must haave won!

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Firetoys sticks throw their bolts in seconds... That's true of every stick I've bought from them (3). Frankly, they're nice people, and most of their toys are ace, but they really need to improve their sticks. The fibreglass is a cool idea, but that's not enough.

Am surprised to hear about the te Pooka financial upsets, I'm sure there's a perfectly good explaination (cos they're lovely.)

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
tepooka thing, how on earth would they know what the money had been used for, unless the card was used to pay a gambling site directly. sounds like a bit of a fishy story offhand, wouldn't normally bother saying, but posting things like that can do a lot of harm to a small company.

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
What ever happend to the ole broom stick handle..... man you can contact with a broom stick... you can contact anything.. :P

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
no one involved at this end was particularly bothered because everything was returned.
it is not a dig at the company, it is unknown if it was actually anyone within the company, there was the possibility of it being due to an insecure payment connection - if this was the case then i'm sure this has been rectified.
the person involved is very happy with the company and has continued to buy things from them online due to their ethical/environmental policies and the quality of product and has encouraged me to do the same (and i will do, hurry up student loan!)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
wow I never heard about that. I hope it's not my fault, my brother is a gambling addict and has lost over £20000 on online poker. If he managed to break into the tepooka toys account through guessing one of my passwords I'd be: redface

But it sounds like somebody broke into paypal. Because you have to agree to pay people with paypal before they take money out of your account....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Love the avatar Meg...

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
hey mags, what r your double headed sticks like for doubles?

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
nice. i'm not great at doubles of course, but they're nice. That's why i didn't return them. I want the big pooka stick for single and i'll hang on to these for doubles.

I'll show you tomorrow.

devil

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
i have owned one of these staffs for a couple of months and i like it alot! i have the old style grip which is excellent and has lasted continuous abuse.
I do not understand how someone can say this staff is weighted more in the middle then at the ends. That is WRONG!!!
The middle, yes, is heavy. But the ends are the same material wrapped in metal heat shields wrapped with a massive wick! how can they be lighter? I think they provide a good long lasting gracefull spin
It is rather heavy, but is all a matter of getting used to it. Heavyness = momentum. PLus it makes it good exercise smile
As for the bolts snapping in half this is WRONG as well. On each end of the staff there are 6 bolts, they screw into each other. They interlock. In other words the bolts did not snap, you just must of not made sure the bolts were always tightly fastened together, so the unlocked. If this happens you can just screw them back in no problem. Even if you lose any firetoys send free replacements no problem. I think this mechanism is better than just the single bolts of previous staffs.
So don't be put off smile I think the only people who would not like em so much is people who like to spin really fast., especially with lots of finger twirls. Due to their weight it is kinda hard to do (still possible but just feels less natural than a lighter staff.
The flex is not really a problem. They only flex slightly to absorb shock. It is harder to do steves with them in one respect due to the flex, but at the same time it is easier due to the heavy weight and good grip. These factors kinda balance out. Once you can control them properly you should have no problem ( after all if i can do em then anyone can!)
As for the tepooka staffs, my friend had one of them and they are ace as well. Its not like i work for firetoys or anything smile They seemed alot lighter then i am used to, and very good for doubles!!

blah that was a long rant!

just thought i would set things straight smile

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Nice post Chaz, good points and well made. The issue i had with the weight distribution doesn't affect my love of the sheer weight of the things, just that I felt a lot more control and momentum could be acheived by having heavier ends.

Are you sure the fibreglass goes all the way up? I have a feeling it stops as the metal begins...not that I've autopsied one to find out.

I have the old style grip too, and it's amazing. Why they changed it for the nasty slimey silicone is beyond me. Dem's crazy fools.

devil

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr_chaz

As for the bolts snapping in half this is WRONG as well. On each end of the staff there are 6 bolts, they screw into each other. They interlock. In other words the bolts did not snap, you just must of not made sure the bolts were always tightly fastened together, so the unlocked. If this happens you can just screw them back in no problem.

cool, that explains why the bolt looks weird, i've still got the other bit so i'll go have a look to see if it'll go back on, have you got the single or double headed staff chaz? there is definately a difference between the 2

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
yeah, the carbon goes all the way

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Do they also make smaller/lighter fiberglass sticks for juggling?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
sorry to hijack, but does anybody know how the 3-piece HoP contact staff compares with the firetoys variant? Its lighter I know, but it still is fibreglass and breaks down for travel...

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
yeah ethnobot the bolts look a bit weird. i have the single headed staff-i thought it would be better than the double because it is a more concentrated weight on the end (but lots of fire is OH so pretty).

If you are having any trouble putting the bolts back in then read on; (i dunno if its just me but this can be a bit of a nightmare with any staff!)

they are in two parts..

part (a) your normal screw

part (b) a screw inside out. smooth on the outside and with the screw parts inside. so part (a) screws in to part (b)

if screws have fallen out, then make sure both part (a) and part (b) are taken out of the staff. then screw them together with your hands just to check if they fit. this is because

-somethimes the screw ridges break

-so however hard you try they will not fit back together again (this is best to find out first, rather then spending hours tearing up your wick!).

so assuming they screw into each other...

you have two wholes either side of your wick. poke something long and thin down one of these holes, so it comes out the other side. this gets rid of the excess material. Otherwise the weird looking screw (b) gets full of fluff and nothing will screw into it.

now insert the smooth part (b) into one of the holes. Hopefully on the other side the whole will be pretty intact, so part (a) will just screw in nicely.

If the holes are all messed up then i have heard that wrapping gaffa tape around the wick is good. then you screw through the gaffa tape to stop the wick from bunching up. though it does involve alot of guesswork!!

hope that helps a little!!!

happy days

chaz

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
oh an finally mags,

You say that the bolts always come out of firetoys staffs. this, sadly, is true. But is it not true for most staffs? i assumed this coz all i have owned are firetoys staffs! i thought to prevent it you just had to make sure they were always tight. If this is not true for most staffs then i wonder why? does anyone know? A regular firetoys staff has like 3 bolts that go through the wick and just a little into the metal-to keep the strengh. Are say, the tepooka ones any different? or is it all a matter of the bolt quality

ok now i better get on with my essay! it is amazing how many things you can find to distract you when you need to do work! lol

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I can't speak for the staff designs, but when I've made wicks for poi before, I found you can make new holes throught layers of kevlar by screwing a reasonably large wood screw into them. Holding the wick in a vice or between a couple of blocks of wood while you're making the hole helps a lot too.

In my design I'd always just screwed the things in tight and let the pressure from the wicks hold everything together. I've never had a bolt come loose from my poi smile

Cake or Death?

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
cheers mr chaz, had a few attempts at putting the female end back in with much frustration!!
had the other end bolt come out at fal this weekend, shall i just send it back and get teepookah?
suggestions anyone? to return or grin and bear it?

Mr_chazBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
i guess it all depends on how much you like it smile you shouldn't settle for summit that is second rate though. they told me that if i had trouble putting back the bolt then i could return it for em to repair (i assume for free!). So if you really like it, do that. otherwise - Tepooka it is!

Paragonnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
I think the firetoys fibreglass staffs are very good. My company has been using 4 of them regularly for almost a year now.

I have been using the original (non silicon) grip. This is very comfortable and easily grippy enough to do contact or similar, even when wet, and has stood up to fuel contamination and such (often tape grips will unravel as the glue degrades).

I find the weight very good. These are the heaviest staffs that I've ever used by quite some way, and the weight improves your technique immeasurably and makes momentum tricks much easier.

The fibreglass flex is excellent. All other staffs I have ever used quickly develop some bend, but these have stayed poker straight even after heavy abuse (kicks, staff fight routines, staff acrobatics). It is not too bouncy at all.

I haven't used a tepooka staff, but the firetoys staffs are certainly a good option, and far better than any aluminium/wood combination that I've ever used. The wicks are a good size, and I don't mind paying £50 for such a quality product that seems to be lasting very well.

One minor complaint is that yes, perhaps they should make them a bit longer. The longest size they sell (I forget what, 1.4? 1.6?) is't that bad though. Certainly it hasn't ever stopped me doing things with it.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'm learning more and more and quite happy with mine atm. But I've not had a bolt out yet and only actually burnt it a couple of times, it should get a LOT more use in the next few days at the BJC etc tho, so I'll see how it goes.

It only just fits in the back seat of my car so I certainly wouldn't want it longer.

My only complaint now is how sand stuck to the grip turning it into sandpaper at fal6!

oh, and I wish the center tape marker showed up better, maybe light absorbing glow tape next time?

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I've just recieved my fibreglass staff and I'm pretty happy with it having never had a contact staff before (previously doing ...err trying, contact with a normal light tePooka staff).

It seems to me, to fix the whole bolts problem, is to keep a philips head screwdriver handy, and to tighten the bolts before every spin! Easy peasy.

I love the way it came with a carry case too. My mum's sewing on a shoulder strap, so its now perfect! It was a pleasant suprise.

The silicon grip IS wierd, but I've always found that good grips are conductive to easy 'spinning,' rather than contact. But then again I've never extensively done contact so I don't think I should comment on that!

and hey if you don't like the silicon grip you oculd always put some grip tape over the top! :P

SeanfromLeedsBRONZE Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
I'm using one of these at the moment. Its weighty has great momentum, lots of fun to do slow stuff with, thin enough to do the occasional finger twiddly thing

The grip has now got a reddish tint, possibly from the amount of skin it has worn off. it wasnt long before the grip became loose along its length, sliding it back and spraying hairspray behind it seems to have sorted that.

I had it down in Bristol last week, I got a fair few clouts from it but loved it. the grip being slippery in the wet was solved for me by pulling it through my t-shirt. Not great if I had a sweat on or was using it in a downpour but I'm not that hardcore.

When I first picked one of these staffs up it just felt good, I'm not great at staff, I never wanted a staff of my own but I just had to have one. I'm very glad I own one it has got me hooked on staff.

A less vicious grade of silicone or a more standard grips would be an improvement. The flex doesnt worry me as I only notice it when I've done something wrong. I like the fact I dont need to worry about bending it. It may well be too short for me but it fits in my car.

Sean

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
The slippery when wet thing is still a bit of a bother, but it's quickly solved (t-shirt as sean said), and unlike wrapped grips it doesn't end up with some water left in the folds to escape later.

The sand thing isn't likely to be a problem often wink

I really, really like mine now I'm used to it, wouldn't change a thing and wouldn't mind another the same.

(despite dropping it lots learning I haven't had any problems with the bolts yet)

Page: