Forums > Social Chat > VW Hippie van question...

Login/Join to Participate

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, does anyone own or have owned a VW hippie van :P that's my technical name for it. I'm keen to get one when i'm older and can afford it.

I've tried searching on the web at college, half the site's contain useless information and the other half of the sites are blocked by the colleges filter.

The question I want to ask is about how many mile's per gallor does the van use in fuel. Anyone know?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
do you mean a kombie? like, the bestest vans in the world??

i'm pretty sure they're gas guzzlers, and the engines can overheat and pack it in if you dont prop the engine flap open. have you tried ebay? there are some really nice ones on there, but if you want one cheap you'll need to find it locally.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
We got a Kombi
one of the cool split window kombis!!
Currently sitting in one spot waiting to be worked on. Their no too bad on the gas, but the engine is a sinche. Aircooled so theres no radiator to worry about. As far as over heating it only really happens it the fan belt snaps. but its one of the simplist motors to work with. We've got 2 beetles and a kombi!!

Ebay is a good spot, or you could hit the trading post or any other 2nd hand car sights you got over there. thats how we found ours.

If your not breaking the budget prepare to de rust alot.

Good luck with the one you get!!
Send piccies when you get it!!
Gota love those kombis!!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yay for kombis! do you have a pic of yours pyromonkey?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I take you mean a vw camper van!
its my dream to own one!
yesterday I saw an orange one with hotrod flames over the front end.
click here!!!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Yes a camper i mean, now i know smile OOO the vans on that link TinklePants are great smile I can't see the orange one with flames on it though...

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thumper talk to Dunc if you want to know about VW's. He LOVES them and knows loads about them. Added to that he is maybe going to be visiting us in Wales on Sunday for the meet in Cardiff.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
No i saw the orange one pass me on the road in town i meant. ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hi Thumper...firstly

Lots of classifieds with vans for sale

Vans for sale from the best VW magazine "VolksWorld" choose either under 1k or over 1k (p.s. don't bother with under 1k unless you're a mechanic)

very good Volkswagon site run by my mates

Check those out and you'll certainly get an idea of what you can get and how much it'll cost. Rule of thumb, the more you spend the better/rarer it is but alwys take someone knowledgeable with you when you view one, their experience will be invaluable and the seller might be conning you with a shiny new paint job!

Also, try getting in contact with you local VW club.... Swansea Aircooled Club would be a good place to start wink Go along to a meet, have a look at their cars, find out what skills they have (VW mates often fix each others cars) and if they know anyone in the area with a decent van for sale at the moment.

Feel free to pm me anytime, I'm sure [Old link] would probably be happy to answer any questions and he's recently finished restoring his beetle too (check his gallery, very nice car) And being employed by HoP I'd guess he'd check his pm's quite regular biggrin

As for your question.....

1) How much MPG? Depends how fast you drive and what engine you have and what condition the engine is in. It might be a 1.6 twin port type 1 or 2.0 type 4 twin choke twin carb! Expect anything from 15mpg -> 35mpg

With regard to overheating and....

Written by: Majestik

and the engines can overheat and pack it in if you dont prop the engine flap open

You don't have too, it just helps it to cool quicker when you stop as that when lots of heat builds and wear can start to creap in more. If you engine is in good condition you'll never have to do it at all.

If I come to Cardiff on Sunday I'll chat to you more about it, if not as I said PM me if you want I'll try to help

What everm, good luck with buying one, you'll never regret it! Mine has been off the road for four years and one day *dreams* one day it will be working again ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
haha in the vans for under a grand on that link you gave was a bus called the poi bus. 1988 Volkswagen Transporter van.

I need to get a bus. theres this place local to me where they restore and sell them, so i'll probably go there. i'm thinking black with blue flames.

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness