Forums > Help! > Landlords/letting agencies-references

Login/Join to Participate

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I have a major problem.
I've been declined to move into my new place because of the last place I was in. They gave me a bad reference because there was high damage, which I am told was covered by the deposit anyway and rent arrears, which was solely the fault of my flatmates. They have on their records that I paid my rent two weeks in advance by standing order,but because both of out names were on the tenency agreement, they wont give me a referance. If I dont get a reference, I cant move into my new place. Paying 6 months rent in advance is not an option.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been in this situation and gotten around it? Is there a way around it?

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
had a similar disagreement,
the only way i found around it was to barter with previous letting agency,who agreed to give me a reference on the condition that they had written and verbal contact with my other two ex-housemates,saying that they took sole responsibility for any damage caused.

took ages to sort out but worked in the end.
hope this is of some help and good luck!

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
letting agency's... landlords... ra!

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
We used to get around this problem when we started renting with a new letting agency by always saying that it was our first time renting. They would then just ask us for bank refs and a work or collage ref.

Saying that it was quite a few years ago since I rented. Things may have changed.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, the funny thing is, I know it would have all been ok if I had just lied to start off with, but me being miss naivety, I told the whole truth and nothing but the truth...when will I learn!!!

I've spoken to my old letting agents and theyve agreed to re-reference me and me seperately, so they will be able to say that I payed my rent two weeks early every month, but there is no proof that I had no part in the damages to the flat, so hopefully they'll let it slide. What I dont understand is why my prospective letting agents cant just go to my previous landlords from before that property, because I have never before lost any of my deposit because there has never been any damage. There is so much bloody red tape its driving me insane!!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer