Page:
ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
This is probably a thread that has been done to death, but what the hell smile

This is an extension of a conversation I was having with MCP today. I asked her at which point she considered someone to be good at spinning.

Basically we discussed three "levels" of spinner defined as follows:
1. beginner - learning all the basics including how to handle poi, keep plains straight, three beat weave, butterfly etc.
2. Intermediate - Learning more advanced tricks that fill in the gaps between the weave and butterfly, like stalls, isolations, waist raps etc...
3. Good - Being able to move with confidence.

Now we decided that the difference between being Intermediate, i.e. the kind of spinner that you wouldn't look twice at in a crowd of spinners, and someone who is Good, the kind of spinner that would stand out, is not a matter of tricks but of movement.

If you have a good trick does that does not make you a good spinner but if you have style, people will rate you.

If we all learn or fully realise one thing a day, then this is what I realised today smile Just thought I'd share smile

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: T&B

Written by: Zauberdachs

Though I have to think that sometime when I'm practising too much I loose the flow in the detailed study and it's only after leaving my poi/staff for a while that I regain it.

That's not a bad thing in my books. I can spend hours on a single move just to get it clean and feeling like second nature. After all It's hard to make a move flow if you can't do it in the first place wink

yes, this is why you must pose, ponce and mince for hours and hours on end. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'd add Nick (meenik) to the list of really good male movers...

and nevermind how crap I am now, at least I'm told regularly that I've got a huge grin on my face when I'm spinning (too bad noone can see that at night ubblol)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I think that there are several things which make a good spinner:

the ability to produce aesthetically pleasing patterns with similarly engaging body movement, through the use of flow, flexibility (both in terms of spinning style and body movement) and general fluency in the art of spinning.

However, I would also define a good spinner as someone who seeks to push the boundaries of what they can do in terms of manipulation of the poi. My point is, when someone first started to do inversions, before they looked nice and clean, they must've looked and felt fairly grim. However, through persistence they must have got them clean and from there found the flow again. So what I am saying is that a good spinner is not only someone who can dance well, but also someone who can push through that boundary of non-flow in the name of advancing their art, even if their not sure it will work.

Finally, I think whether you percieve someone as a good spinner from an audience perspective is also down to showmanship. For instance, doing 4 poi while balancing a bicycle with flaming wheels on your chin isn't very dancy, but it is very impressive and pretty cool to watch. I think that's why people just used to do the weave *only*, but really fast, so people go 'ooooh!'. It's all about how you sell the moves to the people watching.

So to summarise: I think flow/fluency/flexibility in spinning, innovation and invention, and showmanship, all make a good spinner.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

GlitterBubbleSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

I’m actually going to run a community workshop called "Dance Like Everyones Watching". It's realy about learning some stagecraft.

Great idea, I would love to take a workshop like that. cool

I love HOT chillies!

*me: Guess what? I'm learning how to eat fire!
*husband: well, you do love hot food.....

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I think the most important part of spinning is being ablr to transition between moves effortlessly and to create a seemless performance. I also think that being able to explain what you're doing as I think the mark of a goood spinner is the ability to pass things on to the next generation of spinners.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi GlitterBubble wave

details soon smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I agree with wats been sed. I learnt loads of moves, and i can do them pretty well, and i've just started to get the more complex BTB stuff, but i found that a good flow of moves, especially where you only do moves for a couple of cycles then move are the best. Its the constant changing.

And i agree with meg, when you get to the stage where you dont have to think about what to do next, the more you can enjoy it!
biggrin

Page: