Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Crucifix Wrap / Christ Helix?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
arms out crucifix style, spinning wheel plane in one hand, staff travels along & around arm towards body, under armpit, across body (back for forwards spin, chest for reverse) over opposite shoulder, along & round that arm to other hand.

staff stays spinning in wheelplane but just moves sideways from one hand to other

can/has it be done?

TheGoatnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Cool. Should have some sort of video up in the next couple of days, although I am slightly confused by your inability to visualise the move. To me a matrix is that part of the move that makes you look like neo, so in the horizontal matrix that is an upper arm propeller / throatside snes / upper arm propeller. The vertical matrix is the same sequence of moves. You literally have to bend over backwards to keep the staff vertical during the throatside snes, but this just emphasises the "matrix" look.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheGoat

I am slightly confused by your inability to visualise the move.

cool

Written by: strugz

just sounds like a snes to me wth and arm carry to neck wrap........ to do this your arms will need to be out in front of you not out at the sides - otherwise - how will it work?!?

The bit im having trouble with it the arms in the crucifix position, the propellers will not work and the staff and the arm would be on the same plane......... to get the propeller in motion they would have to be 90 degrees to eachother..... no?

Or are my visualisation skills lacking wink

Hurry up with the vid already biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
That may be a matrix to you, but the rest of us already had a set definition.

So a matrix is: (as I start it, you can also start it from the other side) not just upper arm propellor, but practically shoulder propellor, back of neck wrap, propellor, throat wrap finishing where it started.

Other people do the throat bit first, then the back of neck wrap. (well they usually go into the last side by doing a neck wrap, propellor, throat, propellor, neck wrap.) But nonetheless the matrix isn't just the throat side bit. Sorry dude.

Thou I'm glad to see you do have some comprehension of the move.

And while I'm here: natetrix, steatrix, vertrix. It's not big, it's not clever and it makes me want to puke. Doubles Matrix, Steve Matrix, and Vertical Matrix are like verbal eloquence in comparison.

edit cos of strugz ( hug ) Oh I had already given up on the wheelplane, arms straight not moving, no turning ideas. I just want to see the vertical matrix now. Or more likely a SNES / Jesus variant. Cos obviously the vertical matrix is in the wall plane, like the horizontal version.
EDITED_BY: mcp (1134057437)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:

Pick up your staff, try the move for a day, you will see the move is actually quite simple, if not instantly attainable.

If it is instantly attainable, have you attained it? smile

Just sitting on my arse dispensing negative wisdom would have got me jack.

and yet she is possibly one of the best staff spinners there is? Surely this is something to say for sitting on your arse then... ubbloco
EDITED_BY: Zauberdachs (1134057463)

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sniper

will out up simple 3ds vid when i get it working and tinklepants (or whatever tammie's calling herself today) gives me some netspace

whats that supposed to mean? ubblol

you got more vids for me to put up huh?
well, if you don't ask, you don't get.

So ask.
Nicely please tongue

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

TheGoatnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Yes mcp when I do more than one matrix thats exactly where the staff goes. As far as differences in terminology and style go, you have the established community with it's own language, I learnt the majority of my contact staff before I was aware of HoP or your good self.

Zauberdachs - yes I have done the move, and yes I have the greatest respect for mcp, not only for her skills with a staff but also for the obvious time and energy she puts into sharing what she knows with your community and the world at large. Since discovering her site I've learnt loads - cheers mcp smile. However It would be a shame not to try a seemingly impossible/difficult move just on someone elses say so, no matter how acomplished.

To avoid this getting silly, my next post will contain a video.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what I'm saying is, that's not more than one matrix. That *is* one matrix. A matrix isn't the propellor around the arm, or any move that looks like what neo does in the matrix. It's as I described. Nothing more, nothing less.

Plus I was in a bad mood that day. But I'm not going to back down. My eternal quest to get banned from hop is continuing in this thread.

Yeah, I put my energy into learning / discovering / teaching new moves. So it annoys me when somebody doesn't even put in the effort to discover if a move is possible before posting a thread on it. I might pick up a staff and try it at least once. and not implicitly state that we (those who do contact staff) aren't very original and need some newbie inventing new moves for us to learn.

It's not like I'm not a newbie, so maybe in a couple of years I will talk a lot more [censored] on this subject than now.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
talk more censored on this subject? I don't think that's possible? But then maybe in a few years...

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
would have to agree with Meg a vertical matrix would be very hard i.e. I don't know a a staffer (or batonist) capable of pulling it off.

but it does sound like you've got a nice move on the go so look forward to seeing the vid.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so.

eep.

its a frontside snes with arm propellors(tried it yesterday following the re-vamped directions) but i fell off on the second propellor..there was a moment of jesus arms smile its not nearly as impossble as previouly thought, if you ignore the fact that you should be trying to do it with jesus arms smile
much as i hate the name snes, thats not a jesus/crucifix(jesus is HoP terminology so i'm sticking to that, espescially as its my hop terminology wink ), it doesn't even look like a matrix smile cause the back bend and curl is soooooo different, and to be a jesus you need to hold your arms out for more than the tiny amount this one does...

[/downunderstrop]

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Oooo, I don't like the name SNES... Well you think of a good name for it then! wink

I don't understand where you're entering into the arm propellor. Tell me now.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Don't do it Rob!

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Typical Rob behaviour, marches in without knocking, spoils all our fun and THEN complains that he's in a strop. I mean REALLY!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Bluecat
"its a frontside snes with arm propellors"

If Im right it start from arm-pit trap up to your neck, than aroud the throat back to the arm-pit.

POI THEO(R)IST

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
half an angel roll into the propellor meg. tried it again this morning and hit myself quite spectacularly biggrin

can't be arsed with a better name than snes.

tho i'll fight for the rest of my life on 'halo roll' *vomit* its a back roll. why is that so hard?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
It's not really a roll or a wrap thou, it's more like a step across the back. Anyway, I didn't name it, so I don't care. tongue

wheel or wall plane angel roll? wink

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
wall, but you gotta get out of the way damn fast and duck back behind the plane of the staff. i reckon if i could get anywhere near a frontside angel roll it'd be much easier.

damn bristolians and their crap naming habits.

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
what language are they talking in? *shrugs and walks off*

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
and you're still doing a propellor around your shoulder? Not just doing an angel roll to throat wrap?

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

damn bristolians and their crap naming habits.

what it's not our fault (no idea what it is but it's definately nothing to do with us). anyway I've only named one maybe two moves and wonderful names they are too. As for the rest of bristol, it full of hippy and if you listen to them it's your own fault.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
surely th arm part of this move is not disimilar from a vertical stevethey just have to be to your side?

or have i still not understood this move

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Vertical limboo smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
vertical limbo? So you do a vertical chest spin while bent over backwards? Now that's sounds much more realistic... ;D

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
No, STES, Shoulder > Throat > Shoulder smile,

(I cant resist, but I know after I'll saw Spider doing Crucifix wrap, my life will change)

POI THEO(R)IST

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
where does the e come from or can i still not spell throat

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what's better is to do the normal snes entry, same arm armpit shoulder wrap style, to frontside halo to normal snes exit.

It's quite fun, unfortunately as I've only practised it for a total of 1 minute, it's a bit like: "quick get my head out of the way!" which kinda looks like I've spotted something really interesting over by my entry shoulder. ubbloco

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok I had a look at MCP's page and I understand some of the crazy terms your on about now... Why the bloody hell can't we just call them "vertical planes" and "horizontal planes" instead of "wall plane", etc.? And what is a wheel plane if it isnt a wall plane? Would that be diagonal or something?

What this sounds like to me, is beginning with the down the arm bit from a steve (but more like half-way between a steve and an angel roll if wheel means diagonal), but quite offset from the center so a considerable amount of staff rotates off the shoulder, under the armpit, and then up to the other side shoulder like an SNES. So it rolls or steps or whatever on the left shoulder actually before going under the armpit and around the back. Actually, I think it would require a "propeller" (or half a turn anyway) if thats what your callin them on the left shoulder to in order to get the long end of the staff goin under the armpit. In fact I think I do this move come to think of it... Unless Im completely wrong about this wheel plane thing... and i believe a backwards one would actually be the one going over the chest, and the forwards around the back in this move...

What exactly does "along and around the arm" mean? Cause if it means steve-like to the elbow where the back end then comes under the armpit forwards, given enough momentum, it might be able to go around the back onto the opposite shoulder, but I would think it would require more than a simple duck... it would take at minimum I would think a 90 degree turn of the torso right, AND a duck / move to the left to get the right shoulder underneith the (now) freefalling albeit spinning staff. However, this version would maintain your forwards = back roll and backwards = chest roll statement. I'm with MCP on this one being impossible in terms of arms out Jesus style WITHOUT the little shimmy / torso turn, though perhaps possible if that is allowed for the move. I think it would require a lot of snaking your body around (though this COULD be done with arms out, you would not maintain the stationary Jesus pose that would make it worthy of being named a crucifix wrap, and would look more like a slight mentally-challenged-Neo-from-matrix-shimmy... even if possible, I doubt it could look pretty).

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
* went and looked up wheel plane and relized I was on about something completely different *

While I CAN see this being possible, it would require some major shimmying / flailing about to accomplish catching the staff on the opposite shoulder. At the very least, you need to turn 180 degrees and drop you right shoulder a good foot or so VERY quickly. May qualify as a jesus move just because the arms can stay out jesus style, but feel you would end up looking more like a windmill flailing your arms in a big circle while you turn to catch it on your opposite shoulder.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Written by:

i8beefy2
..what is a wheel plane if it isnt a wall plane?

There is one horizontal,but wheel and wall plane, cause is easier to describe moves than.
Written by:

What exactly does "along and around the arm" mean?

I think its the same(contact) and meen that your staff pass front and back part of body in one circle around.

POI THEO(R)IST

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Yes, but I was wondering if he meant "along" as in a steve and still around like a wrap. Thus it could roll around your arm while also rolling along it, say from hand to elbow. Just wandering how it was meant.

Page: