Forums > Help! > UK - National Insurance Numbers

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Situation: I'm doing a PhD and getting a tax-free stipend. Now I'll start a demonstrating-like job that'll earn me about 500 pounds over 10 months contract, and I've been asked to find out about a NI number. I've called them up to ask if I need one for it, and the lady on the phone said "have you been born in this country?". When I said "no", she said "dial this number, they'll be busy and you'll probably not get through but be patient".

I've been patient for nearly 2 hours now, and wondering if any of you can tell me if I need that number at all? That's all I want to know for now confused angry

(NOT impressed with having to deal with the phone line for foreign people that everyone KNOWS doesn't work to the capacity that's required...)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
try here:

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/ynino.htm

Gayle.....!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
if you go anywhere and work in another EU country other than the one that you were born in then will need to be registered for a RIGHT TO WORK, for ENGLAND this is National Insurance, you can goto any local job center and register your details and your passport/identity card with them and your card will arrive by post but they give you a form for the mean time to cover you.

I had to do it in Italy when i moved there, and you dont need to be an official citizen, its just a right to work.

On another note, you must pay tax or be registered with official documents if in employment in any country.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks Gayle and pk smile

Finally got through to her... it seems it's very unlikely I'll have to pay national insurance, but I still need a number, so I have to attend a 30 minute interview shrug

whatever... I didn't need any permission for my PhD, nor for the summer placement (paid) I had 3 years ago, so I didn't expect anything to come up.

Someone could teach them some style though, she basically said "and if you're unable to produce that and that (document), we'll kick you out the door", about 3 times, each time for a different document I'd already told her I had. The 3rd time I said something along the lines of "I have the contract lying here in front of me, so there is really no need for you to kick me out the door", and she suddenly turned nice ubblol

Bureaucracy...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half