Forums > Social Chat > behind the back reverse weave

Login/Join to Participate

strmseekrmember
6 posts

Posted:
Whew. Ok, this last move is a tough one. There are no instructions on the webpage to get you started, and the video quality is, to put it mildly, pretty awful, so anyone out there with any helpful tips will be thouroughly appreciated. Thanks

strmseekrmember
6 posts

Posted:
Thanks. I think my biggest problem is conceptualizing what my arms should be doing. With the reg. weave, it is just a matter of pulling out the arm that is closer to my back, which feels natural, because the strings (or chains) are flowing in the same direction. With the reverse I have to make the same motion with my arms but the chains have to be going in the opposite direction. And as hard as that is to describe, it's easier said than done. The poi keep trying to cross paths, tangling the strings in rather interesting and complicated knots, and so far I've only managed to get as far as a reverse behind the back butterfly and thread the needle (the latter is my lame attempt at a rev.btb figure eight). I'm trying to get this thing down pat before a rave on friday night smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
For whatever it's worth, it took me a solid month of daily practice to get the btb reverse weave (which I got before the btb forward weave), after bashing bruises into both shoulders. I think it's fair to say that it just takes a lot of work.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Try this: I found that it is a lot easyer to start with one poi. Just like when i started the forward weave i would just put out one arm, and go over it, under it and across. i did this for a while then did the other hand. The trick is not to move your arm sreched out in front, right? Well now to do the Behind the Back Weave you start off going bacwards, with one poi, the other hand streached behind you. You cross your back with the poi, and go over the hand, under the hand and then back to spinning at your side. Once you are comortable with that you do the other hand. Over the hand, under the hand and back at your side. It is a lot easyer if when you start with both pois to swing your body from side to side when the poi is behind your back. Some people lift there feet so they don't hit the back of their legs, but i found by swaying back and forth i don't need to.Does that make any scence? Exuse my horable spelling grin

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

strmseekrmember
6 posts

Posted:
yes, and it was helpful, but since "over, under, across" is for going backwards, does that mean "under, over, across" is for the reverse?

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I just tried that one handed deal for learning, and that same question came to my mind. It would make sense wouldnt it? I am having a hell of a time with it. ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

strmseekrmember
6 posts

Posted:
I GOT IT!! Finally! jeez- took long enough. Anyway, thanks everybody for all your input, and for anyone else trying to learn, all you have to do is imagine the forward weave positioned behind your body, and it will come easily. Thanks again,-PLM

FuchbohGOLD Member
1 post

Posted:
I didnt really think it was possible until i Stumbled upon the vid from DropScience and got the crazy idea to go from forward hip reels into a one-sided waistwrap, and try to carry that same concept from a reverse hip reel! still VERY bouncy for a 2-beat waist wrap, but it all makes sense now grin