UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Thought this may be of some use to people...

Written by: www.insidehoops.com

Jump Higher - Vertical Leap Exercises

ValueClick Media

ValueClick Media

By InsideHoops.com

There are tons of 'How to Jump Higher' programs out there, and perhaps someday we'll review some of them. Or, create our own. For now we present a list of jumping exercises that over time should help increase your vertical leap. More jumping exercises and other guides coming in the future.

NOTE: These exercises are known to help one's physical fitness and incease leaping ability. If you have any sort of injury, have any health problems, have any questions, or you feel any pain while exercising, then stop, and consider consulting a doctor.

Vertical Leap Exercises - How to Jump Higher

Don't do jumping exercises 7 days a week. Four or five days per week is enough. If you do it every day, you may give up after a week or two. The idea is to keep exercising for months, or years, consistently. Note that we have not organized an actual jumping program. Inside Hoops is providing exercises that should help your fitness and leaping ability.

WARMING UP

Before starting the exercises, warm up your muscles. Stretch properly, and jog around for a few minutes.

If you have a jumprope, use it. Jumping rope definitely helps your conditioning.

Running up and down stairs for a while is very useful as a warmup, or a full exercise. Don't do too much or else you may wear our your legs. Use it as a quick warmup, or a full exercise.

JUMPING EXERCISES

Deep Knee Bends --- Be standing. Slowly bend at the knees while keeping your back straight. Slowly crouch down as low as possible (it shouldn't hurt) and slowly rise back up. Do this 15 times. Over time increase to 20, 30, etc.

Deep Knee Bend Jumps --- Be standing. Crouch down as described above but fairly quickly, almost touching your bottom to the ground, then explode upwards as high as you can. The moment you land, immediately crouch and launch back up again. Do this 15 times, and when you can, increase to 20, 30, etc.

Toe Raises --- Stand regularly, then raise up onto the tips of your toes. Lower back down. Don't just rock up and down, do it slowly (not too slowly) but steadily. Repeat 30-50 times.

Toe-Raise with Weights --- If you have any sort of weights, holding/wearing them while doing these toe raises will help. Use small weights (a mere 5 or 10 pounds is fine) and work your way up.

Stomach Crunches --- We believe that sit-ups are bad for your back. Stomach crunches, where while lying on your back, using your ab muscles and keeping your back straight, you rise up just enough to lift your shoulders off the ground, are better. Do them often - perhaps for 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night.

Jumping Rope--- Jumping rope definitely helps your vertical leap. Jump rope while watching tv or something. Make it a habit.

smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oooh jump rope, such a great idea....

thank you muchly smile

how do i land tho tongue my ankles suck so much...
anyone know how to do some decent ankle wraps without using tape?

-K

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Air Alert III

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Poll makes no sense to me. confused

but I thought I might add something useful. Anyone interested in this sort of stuff might be interested to check out plyometrics. It's supposed to be pretty good at training for speed/power. However there differing opinions among professionals about its effectiveness & safety.

Personally, it seemed to have helped add power to my punches.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
meg- what??

-K

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
White folk can't jump.

Fo' shissle.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
elephants

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
angry girlfriends make me jump higher.

thanks jon!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Are muscles like those in the diagram mandatory before doing Air Alert?

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Are pogosticks considered cheating?

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
well i appreciate the trhead UCOF thanks, i been wondering about this biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yes, but they can be larger or smaller.

wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
damn it someone explain what the hell air alert is...

pwetty pwease?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Air Alert (and all it's variations) is a regime of leg excercises designed to improve strength and speed, i.e. power. All in all it's supposed to help you jump higher.

Good enough explanation?

Just a quick pointer, if you're looking to learn a backflip or something similar jump training will not help much. It's technique you need. Go here, www.trickstutorials.com

It's some good stuff. wink

Juggle 'til I drop!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ace, thanks!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Also, UCOF posted a link to Air Alert III, but it was cunningly concealed behind one of these: rolleyes

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ImmortalNinjamember
104 posts

Posted:
Every one should go see Jump when its back in London in Feb beacuse it has the best jumps and flips mixed in with an abundance of comedy.
Check out the mini-clip on:
https://www.sadlerswells.com/peacock/2005_2006/jump.asp

Granted they're cheating a little by using track-mats but its still a wicked cool show enough for me to start practicing summersalts again....

If you're getting hit, move faster...

Check page 30 for Directions

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ahhh... yeah. earlier today sethis just explained to me what the little boxes around the smilies mean... *is technologically behind the times*

so of course i missed that... well, now i know, thanks muchly smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah