Forums > Help! > Help me, For i Know not the magic of monkey fist.

Login/Join to Participate

Grasshoppanewbie
5 posts

Posted:
so, anyways, i was thinkin of makin some monkey fist wicks for to be spinnin with (and before you all jump down my throat and yell "Theres an animation that shows this!!!" , bear in mind, i'm new to this, and am having trouble figuring it out frown.). Long story short, is there anyone willin to give advice (how much rope needed, help with the know, etc...) or better yet, anyone livin in the greater dublin area willin to meet up and show me/help me/do it for me?

thanx.

"Cool... um.... just out of curiosity... how much is a decent fire extinguisher?"

----my g/f's response to me yelling " I'm Learning Fire-Poi!!"---

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Practise making the knot with a length of climbing rope (about 6 foot should be enough)- obviously, do not attempt to use climbing rope for wick though.

After you've built it a few times you'll have a good idea of how to make it out of kevlar rope, and you'll have done enough practice to make it nice and tight.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Grasshoppanewbie
5 posts

Posted:
cheers man. one question tho - what type of...um...core? ... do i use. y'know, thing in the centre. will my regular one work or will i need to make a new one?

"Cool... um.... just out of curiosity... how much is a decent fire extinguisher?"

----my g/f's response to me yelling " I'm Learning Fire-Poi!!"---

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I'd visit the shop and work out how much buying rope v's buying fist works out as well.
good luck dude

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'd love to make my own but the qulity of HoP's is so good I won't bother. The swivel in the core is something I couldn't really replicate at home without spending hours and hours on it.

It takes quite a lot of rope to tie a monkey fist, so....

Written by: onewheeldave

Practise making the knot with a length of climbing rope (about 6 foot should be enough)- obviously, do not attempt to use climbing rope for wick though.

After you've built it a few times you'll have a good idea of how to make it out of kevlar rope, and you'll have done enough practice to make it nice and tight.

Is really good advice smile

I've used two finger monkey fist knots as handles on my fire poi for yonks now although it took quite a few goes learning how to tie them well as apposed to just tieing them together

Good luck! Let us know how you go and if you do/find anything unique with them smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove