maddocknewbie
7 posts

Posted:
i'm curious to know, if anyone else's staves have become a bit bent here and there after practice. i just made my first one tonight and i quite like it. it's definitely heavier... but the momentum swings it so smooothly. anyway ! biggrin

after 2 or 3 hours, of practicing and numerous drops... i put it down on the ground and it rolled away, but with that warped roll.

just curious if anyone else's practice staff is a bit wobbly here and there... or are they all perfectly and infinitely straight. wink

To lead people, walk behind them.
- Lao Tzu

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my staff is a bender

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
my staff is bent: I don't know if it's from warping or hitting me so often

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
bend they will - most annoying it is - mainly from drops ive discovered........... i guess the trick is - dont drop smile

Can make contact more intersting mind - bent staffs like to jump around the body rather than rolling rolleyes

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
don't use them as a pole volt if you want them to stay straight (or at least thats want other people tell me rolleyes )

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
indeed, bend they will, doesnt matter how carefull you are. aside from dropping them i find i get bends from catching the helicoptor throws to hard on my palm. took me ages to figure out what was going on.

after a while you'll stop worrying about getting them bent and you'll find that bending them back is a skill of its own. my bendiness test is the steve... smooth steve = straight staff

smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I once had the perfect bent staff, that rolled true while still being bent... Ahhhhh. ubblove but I lost it. frown

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you tried finding it? wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yes. spank spank spank spank

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Really?
We just re-wicked a staff I've had for about ten years and there's no bends!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
depends on the metal. As glass says: Therre are many different types of ali.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Don't think I ever bent one of the staffs I make, and they get subject to some serious abuse, including some full contact combat staff,

mark

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
wood

ture na sig

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Written by: marco

Don't think I ever bent one of the staffs I make, and they get subject to some serious abuse, including some full contact combat staff,

mark

How long are these staffs you speak of?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
my practice ones are dowel... they do not bend! Despite years of using it as a practice staff I don't think Kinudin ever bent the firestaff I made for him tho... So apparently i'm good there to biggrin

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
My staff bent after the first few times I twirled it. It has no effect on the spinning, but burnoffs are harder to do with a bent staff than with a perfectly straight one.

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Mine aren't bent but then most of them aren't over 1.2m long smile I've had a 1.5m long staff for years now, unbent, but it has a 23mm diameter and in the inner wall is quite thick, so quite a solid staff. Still quite light as it is made from Ali.

smile

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Written by: T&B

don't use them as a pole volt if you want them to stay straight (or at least thats want other people tell me rolleyes )

Hmmm, I started teaching contact moves to a guy who does just that- with a 'short' pole vaulting stick (2 meters). Mostly though he uses to staff in floor acrobatics and continually jumps with his full weight on the staff. Three years of serious beating and its still as good as new.

His staff is much too wide for my taste, but it would never bend.

The diameter is much too thick for my taste,

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Written by: T&B

Hmmm, I started teaching contact moves to a guy who does just that- with a 'short' pole vaulting stick (2 meters). Mostly though he uses to staff in floor acrobatics and continually jumps with his full weight on the staff. Three years of serious beating and its still as good as new.

His staff is much too wide for my taste, but it would never bend.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i use a metal (steel) staff with a wooden core. i dont know if its cos its steel or the core but it has never bent. The last one i had was the same and it lasted me 2 years before some swine nicked it at play.

"Don't do it naked!"

Alioshamember
57 posts

Posted:
My newest staff is 1,5m long and more or less 2,5cm thick; with wood inside (not all wood, it already weight far too much the way it is: 1,5kg).
After 6 months of beating me in the face (I am trying to learn contact, and learning a lot about pain) and falling to the ground (good old spinning), it's still VERY straight.
I have hopes for the future (but I am afraid of my next plane flight).
I proudly show my staff here: https://www.aliosha.org/genius/images/staff.jpg

---
"Angels fly because they don't take themselves too seriously"
G.C. Chesterson

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
sandy...you got it nicked at play frown

thats really big ammounts of crap!!!

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film