Page:
SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
So this thought just randomly popped into my head...

How do people think they come across on HoP? I *really* don't want to talk about what you think of other people, just yourself.

Personally, I think I come across as more blunt than I usually am, and often seem to rant. I think I may possibly seem un-empathic or overly sarcastic as well. I'm worried that if I ever meet people from HoP in person, then they'll have a somewhat inaccurate picture of me in their head. (I'm really quite nice and understanding! biggrin )

Does anyone have thoughts on why people behave differently online to how they behave elsewhere?

Anyone want to comment on how they think they are perceived?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
the funny thing is how i come across irl TO HOPPERS is like a subset of my personality that basically doesn't exist elsewhere confused

which is stressful- and odd- dom at least has met me in some "normal" circumstances, and i suppose to some extent drew has altho to some extent he hasn't. Also, sethis has met me in some at least resaonable circumstances (oh, and MikeGinny and a bunch of the other americans). But for the most part i've been so strange in england... lets see how this weekend goes! *worried*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Can someone post on my intro thread too? Pleeeeease?

See, now I come across as attention-seeking ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i dont really know.........

stoned........slow........busy............ confused

Its something ive never really given thought to.

**goes off to think**

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

i dont really know.........

stoned........slow........busy............ confused

ubblol i would agree with this ubblol

I'm not really sure about mine as i think too much before posting and often scrap posts because i can't seem to get across what i'm trying to say. I'd rather not post in those instances.

Other than that, i think playful and organised with not a lot of tolerence for stupidity - even though i am guilty of that myself sometimes redface

Gayle.....!

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I dont know how Im percieved, but it cant be too bad, Ive made loads of friends out of it! biggrin

I know that meeting me can be a bit of a bugger, because I talk very little if I have no common ground with someone (other than HOP),and accompanied with a dark humour,I often speak before I think, which can land me in hot water...

So all in all, the way I'm percieved online is probably better than the way I am percieved when people first meet me. Once you get to know me, Im bloody fantastic though.

I do think its interesting to see that some of the HOPpers I percieved as some of the most confident and renowned (without meeting them), are some of the first to post about having one or two insecurities about themselves,its good to see...

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I noticed you "the greatBJ" wink

erm. odd, fat and hairy biggrin the dropper of balls and sticks...oh and the guy with the HUGE.....slingshot ubblol

the rest is similar to strugz but I'm too lazy to go off to think.

To be frank I care a bit how I'm percieved but I don't worry. take me as I am or avoid me really. I can be VERY serious...but rarely and I want to meet EVERYONE ubblol including Mr Ed, a talking horse WOW!

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: thegreatBJ

does anyone even notice that Im here?

Anyone else hear that? No? Never mind then...

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
It's your imagination Jeff, ignore it, it'll go away tongue wink

I'm interested that most people seem to point out how much worse they appear online, with a few exceptions. I don't think I come across as *worse* per se, just... different. Not sure why. Maybe I'm more comfortable talking to a monitor than I am talking to "Real" people, so I talk in a way that I maybe wouldn't in real life.

Does anyone else feel erm... safer? Talking online? Or do people feel more worried, because there is more room for mis-interpretation?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I said i seemed better.... or should have....

i just can't freak out about things online, like being percieved as "weak"

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
It's easier for me, because I have time to think about what I write, look up words I'm not sure of, then go through a post (especially in a slightly heated discussion) and read it over to see if I've hit the right tone, or if it's too weak or aggressive. In a real discussion, there's no time for all that.

There is more room for misinterpretation though, and often people will rather type a long, often not very friendly email instead of asking "did you really mean it that way", whereas in a "real" discussion, you'd be able to say "stop, you got me wrong!" after a few seconds smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
i tend to lose the point online - if i get into a serious discussion face to face i feel more comfortable. plus the tangents you can hit on in conversation beat those online hands down.
and there are no little offtopic graemlins in real life.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender

Hey everyone, come make some noise at the Intro thread for [Old link]!

i like yoo.

yey thankyou!

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I must say that name lends itself to all sorts of kink in american teenage slang.

XD

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
/me feels stupid

d*mn, it sure does.... somehow i've not thought of it except for the first time i read it...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
me? Rarely serious, mostly talking crap, trying to divert into comedy if at all possible. And Concise. Unless I'm not.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
mcp. nail. head.

biggrin

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
That said about the perception of individuals, there's a number of couples on HoP too - hard to detect cus i spose it's not anyone's business unless they share it.
for example i wish to reveal that jon UCOF is married to Olga (his left foot). They have a passionate realtionship but tend to enjoy a bit of badminton. smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
I like the diversity of people all sharing a common interest, not something easily encountered on the street, so shy or not, happy to be involved biggrin

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, I've been told I'm a rampant namedropper (eh, Gnor... d'oh)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: bender

for example i wish to reveal that jon UCOF is married to Olga (his left foot). They have a passionate realtionship but tend to enjoy a bit of badminton. smile

Are they both superior at juggling?

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
No. Just Olga. biggrin

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
Invisible...I think that I don't really come across at all. umm
None of you know me and I'm shy so I probably come across as a snob eek

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
But surely a snob would never call themselves that? So therefore you can't possibly be snobbish! biggrin

Re Bender's point about the "Multiplicity of self": Would you say that you are a different person to everyone you meet? Or were you aiming more at the "constantly changing" self which is best described as a process rather than an identity?

And on an offtopic note (I'm allowed, I started the thread tongue ) even changing relatively simple things about the way I look seems to affect my personailty. I always used to just tie my hair back in a ponytail, but now I've found the joys of wearing a bandanna. And I've noticed my behaviour change since wearing it. I'm more cocky and confident, whilst being slightly more easy going. I think it's an improvement, but I don't know why such a simple thing should change how I behave??? Thoughts?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Well, I've been told I'm a rampant namedropper (eh, Gnor... d'oh)

Being Knoxiouses mum, groin thruster expert, gives you the right to drop names biggrin wink ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Not sure about that, I'll just go ask my flatmate K#*!%#*@!

cos droppees LOVE that sort of thing eh umm

(hey did I ever tell you how much that gremlin looks like my son)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Who is your boy again??

Is he the one in Flame Whosit? What was the point of what he does again?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
On Hop, I probably sound like a dumbass or a know-it-all. Maybe a bit silly. I don't think I've posted enough for people to really get the wrong idea of me.

Written by:

I'm sure we would all come across diferently in person and, once you have met someone, the way that you view their posts will be entirely different.

And this hold true in my book.

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
Um i have a bit of a odd ruputation on here ie kinky which is a bit funney,
but i have also had person start a rumior about me around this community which are not true, in regards to being a womaniser, id like to point out i have been in a 4.8 year relationship in which i am completly faithful, any of my close friends here would vouch for that
On of the reasons i guess why you dont find me posting here very much anymore.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
*wanders around happily oblivious*

Now maybe I just don't pay attention, or maybe there's a forum somewhere that I'm just not reading, but I thought that recently there has been some very weird stuff going on.

Threads being put up, then deleted. People slinging hurtful insults and accusations around.

I *still* don't know what most of it was about. All I know is that I had an image of HoP as a grassy field with some hippies on it sitting around spinning stuff in peace, and some of the recent traffic has been the equivalent of Chavs walking past and shouting insults.

As far as I'm aware, no-one wants this. With, what, 27,000 members and climbing (?) I'm still amazed by the amount of community on here and would really like it to stay. I'm sure lots of you agree, which is why I hope brodieman and anyone else affected by this censored will stay, because I have yet to find a HoPper I didn't enjoy talking to (even if we were arguing)!

Back on topic now... please...

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

And on an offtopic note (I'm allowed, I started the thread tongue ) even changing relatively simple things about the way I look seems to affect my personailty. I always used to just tie my hair back in a ponytail, but now I've found the joys of wearing a bandanna. And I've noticed my behaviour change since wearing it. I'm more cocky and confident, whilst being slightly more easy going. I think it's an improvement, but I don't know why such a simple thing should change how I behave??? Thoughts?

I get this... like if Im wearing shoes that click I act more grown up than if Im wearing trainers

I think people come across differently online for a few reasons

1 you arent as scared of what people will think of you and so less aprihensive to say what you actually think

2 you can think more about what you say... and go back and deleate stuff as well as adding stuff, its less spontanious and youre less likely to say something stupid

3 there are no tentions between people on HoP... like if that guy fancies that girl and that other girl fancies him... or that guy doesnt like that other guy etc

thats why people come across differently... in my opinion anyway

do I come across as know-it-all?

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

Page: