Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Note: I did a durbs, no specific results, so sry.. wink

What I'd like to know, what are the options on the inside of a monkeyfist..? I really don't like the wood or iron part, I'm afraid that it will burn the kevlar. Im probably going for a smaller monkeyfist. I also heard about stuffing the inside with cotton but am really puzzled about the effect.

Ideas?

Thx:)

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
cotton wool will absorb fuel and give you longer burns. What's wrong with a wooden core though?

NOTE: I've never actually made monkeyfists wink

Cake or Death?

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Written by: *HyperLight

cotton wool will absorb fuel and give you longer burns. What's wrong with a wooden core though?

NOTE: I've never actually made monkeyfists wink

Won't the wool burn off or something..? And I want to make them on friday so no chance of getting a wooden core. And those will be my first monkeys actually so no problem..:D

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You don't actually need a core, you can just tighten the knot lots.
However, then it's a fair bit harder to find a good way of attaching the chain because you've got nothing to screw an eyebolt into.

Another option is using a small bit of kelvar rope tied into an overhand knot as the core, that gives more volume to hold fuel but still has the problem of attaching the chain.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mattpoiBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
just about anything /inside/ the fist should be okay... as nothing is burning in there.. and the kevlar outer layer is a pretty good insulator.

exceptions would be... plastic, icecubes ;-)

do a search for hybrid poi heads... the inside cotton stays protected behind 1 layer of kevlar strip

although as bovril said -- if you use cotton you may have a hard time securing the cable or eyebolt on your fist.

two good ways:
wood cores with eyebolt through the core, fist around the core

kevlar knotted core with at least 1 cable loop woven into the inner knot, then use the kevlar from the core to inclose this knot in a fist .

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I guess I'm going for a two layer monkeyfist with a small knot inside. I'll get a chain with a small keyring, pull the rope through the ring and lo.. Head attached..:D

DoctaGOLD Member
81 posts

Posted:
Could you use an eyebolt with a threaded end and attach a nut to it????

My 2 cents

Doc wink

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I hope I catch you befor making wooden core. Tulen tried it but when the monkey fist stop burning, the wood was still heating and destroy the kevlar after a month or two...so I can only say NO WOOD.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
definitely no wood.. I have nowhere to get it, and I also kinda feared about the overheating. Is what concerns me about a metal core too. I'll just make a kevlar knot or smaller fist..:)

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
I have made dozens of monkeyfist heads, and the best way I have found is to use a double ended eyebolt o--o (I haven't found a proper manufacturer - I've been making them myself), then tie a small monkeyfist (I usually use a slightly modified one, I like smaller heads) around one of the loops, then a larger mf (3 or 4 strands) around the small one. Lotsa kevlar, lotsa burn, lotsa durability... lotsa satisfied friends.

Yellow and blue make green.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
soo I have made a two layer monkeyfist - a knot with the chain attached, a 2 strain mf and a 4 strain mf.. took me 3 hours to make two of those bastards.. Most of the work was tightening the knots. I only used 2 metres of 1.5 cm rope. they are heavy, hard and very very tight.. I'm looking forward to seeing them burn..:) I will post some photos if you want. wink