Page:
squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
There is a shop near where i live that sells poi and fire poi. quite a few of the younger spinners i've met have bought their fire poi from there and i've had a look at them - shoddy chains, dodgy links etc - and i'm not convinced they're safe. no-ones had an accident...yet.

The shop owners aren't spinners themselves so i guess they probably havent considered the danger aspect of the props. however we're getting growing local exposure including a spread in the local newspaper, and i dont want that to be followed up with a whole bunch of kids running out, buying the props and burning themselves (and the next weeks newspaper full of reports on how terrible poi is etc!). (there will be a safety aspect to the article and probably a links section or something but i'm still worried)

so what do i do? do i do anything? i've been considering waltzing in and handing the shop owner a HoP card and some details about HoP/firetoys etc but i don't know how well they'll take it or whether they'd even listen to me.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I would prefer to hurt the people that conceived them, but as a plan b...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
grrr... saw some 'white Thailand poi' in my local market. Went up to the bloke selling them asked him some questions i.e where did he get them from, was he aware that they were likely to cause serious burns on impact due to metal screw heads being exposed, was he aware that they were likely to fall apart after a few uses, did he know what the wicking was:
answers (in order)
They're from Thailand
oh
yeah I know that I warn everyone about the dodgy links, but they only break if you use them for half an hour continually
I'm told it's kevlar
mad2
grrrrr....
what do I do to this bloke. Do I tell trading standards, do I go and show him what proper firepoi look like and what Kevlar looks like for that matter, or maybe I should invite him to demonstrrate their use at a fire gathering then stand well back as he sets himself on fire, burning horribly, oh the flames... (sorry got a bit carried away there)
mad
but seriously, what do people think is the best way to deal with this sort of person who seems to be trading in shoddy products and well aware of it...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
This?

Non-Https Image Link

wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
but it's lazyangel, so really more like this:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
There's nothing we can do apart from keep warning newbies off buying the dangerous stuff... frown

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

lasersurgeGOLD Member
100 posts

Posted:
You could make your own high quality toys, and stop buying energy from evil energy companies who do nasty things and are crap, and just go solar, or wind power if you have space for a windmill

people are people

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: lasersurge

You could make your own high quality toys,

ubbidea wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol
meg: I guess i'd better go dig out that gold dress again, eh? and the earrings, where did I put the earrings? got to look fabulous if you're going to kick some @ss...

an example of the above

actually I have been thinking about making my own toys, I might have a bit of time in January/February to do it. However, as far as fire toys go, I'd have to test anything I made extensively before I would be happy to sell it on, and I don't have the kind of time or resources for that at the moment. Or a trading license for that matter.....

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: