Forums > Social Discussion > Troubled thought about Toys and where they come from

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Would you use poi that were made in a sweat shop?
Would you use poi that were made in a factory with appauling low health and workong conditions

12 hours a day 7 days a week for 1-2hours a day.
Migrant workers away from their husbands, wives and children
Maybe for 1-3 dollars.
this is typical for many chinese migrant workers

I ask because I was just researching the manufacture of some of my favorite props (not poi in this case)
a type of ball. Baoding balls (chinese health balls to be precise and found an article (nytimes) about their manufacture in a typical chinese factory.

Knowing that many of the poi on sale in the uk (poi with tails especially) are made in china.
I asked these 2 questions.
Hmmmm.
thoughts.

Would spinning poi made like this have the same uplifting benefits for you soul?
I'd love also to know whether HOP gear is made ethically/fairtrade. Although Knowing Malcolm, I think that I can already guess the answer smile

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I think to change state of big organization with big cash flow is very difficult, who want to change lineage?. But than if there is serious reasone for change, it will change no matter how and when.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
For one person to change a big corporation is very difficult, but not impossible RE Supersize me getting the Supersize fries and drinks dropped from McD's in the states.

I suppose part of what I mean is that if people complain about things, like envronmental issues, but don't appear to make much of an effort, those listening will naturally block out the message.

If someone does make a serious effort, like biking to work, or paying top money for local produce, even when the quality isn't that high out of season, it gets peoples interest up.

I believe that the most effective way to produce change in others is to act in a way that gets them to ask you questions about what you do, by way of your own actions, not just words.

If that happens, then your words are genuinely listened to, and the impact is far more effective than standing on a street corner and ranting to everyone (purposeful hyperbole).

The more people genuinely listen to you, the more chance someone who agrees may be able to do something individually or collectively that no-one ever thought of.

An example is the Supersize Me's girlfriend, who didn't forbid her boyfriend to eat meat or unhealthy food, but by example made him seriously think about what he ate and what it may do to him.

Which in turn was one of the key catalysts for the making of the Supersize Me documentary, which while exaggerated in some parts, has had a massive effect on nutrition on the states and around the world.

This is just one example where leading by example and not judging or preaching indiscriminately can had fantastic and unforseen effects on the world around us.

Does that make sense?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

I believe that the most effective way to produce change in others is to act in a way that gets them to ask you questions about what you do, by way of your own actions, not just words.

If that happens, then your words are genuinely listened to, and the impact is far more effective than standing on a street corner and ranting to everyone (purposeful hyperbole).......

.....Does that make sense?

Yes. I agree completely.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: