Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Pile of turd I thought, liked he first one couse it was orrigional and had a good plot to it. The second just seemed like action action action all the way through and there for the shameless escuse to blow things up and make money, and the third neo turns into some sort of super hero with magic powers outside the matirx or something, then at the end he fights the rogue agent whatever his name is, LOOSES the fight and somehow that makes him win? the fights are all very unimaganative just the same looking as the first two films and coverd in sily explosions and silly CG affects to cover up the boringess that fights have become in the film.

Yawwwwn

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I concur. At one time, I would have said that the Matrix was my favorite movie. However, the sequals were so bad that they made me hate the first one as well just for being linked with them.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I really liked the first one even when I first saw it when I was ikkle and not really understanding the underlying messages (even before good ol' testosterone kicked in I was fond of watching a wicked scrap).

Now that I'm a bit older, I can fully appreciate it for what its saying.

The Wachowski Brothers (sp?) are geniuses. Having recently rewatched it, I really enjoyed the way thr brothers drew from Plato's analogy of the cave and stuff.

Whilst the sequels were vastly dissapointing, and totally shallow, they still have a certain rewatchability to them.

And I still prefer The Matrices to the bloody LOTR trilogy. Can't stand them. Booooooooooooring.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
It's ironic that Smith is actually more of a human character than Neo is in the last film.

The first film remains my second favourite film of all time. The fight scenes are still amazing (atmosphere is perfect) and they disperse the philosophy pretty well.

They didn't manage this in their second and third, it's "Fight, Fight, Philosophy-talk-that-no-one-who-isn't-doing-a-degree-on-it-is-interested-or-cares-about, fight, fight".

Kinda like LOTR, the first film is the best, the other two just go downhill. Return of the King: "Greates film of our time" rolleyes yeah, like if by "our time" you mean "This month"...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I agree with you Joe that the first one was great and original and the other two were more disappointing, however there are a few things I think you fail to grasp.

Firstly due to the landmark film 'The Matrix' was it was fairly obvious a sequel and a thrid one would occur considering thats what studios do, they make a film it makes money so they think they are onto something and really will stop doing it when it fails to make more money, which is why i dont think we have seen the last of the series of matrix movies, even if its a straight to dvd feature.

I think also it seems you actually dont understand the trilogy by saying things like
Written by:

and the third neo turns into some sort of super hero with magic powers outside the matirx or something, then at the end he fights the rogue agent whatever his name is, LOOSES the fight and somehow that makes him win?

it seems apparent that maybe the film didnt have your full attention so maybe the matrix and its trilogy just isnt your kind of film?

Its a shame that Hollywood has to revert back to big explosions and extreme CG fighting in order to make a film 'better' and yes the matrix has suffered due to it, but still there is a lot in that film, and bear in mind that the 3 main film that make up the matrix trilogy are not the complete 'Matrix Saga' I guessing you havent seen the 'Animatrix' or played the game 'Enter the Matrix' they both actually coincide with the triology and make it more understandable and maybe then you can appreciate it a little more for what it is.

Matrix one? Verdict: Landmark film making, original and great
Matrix Trilogy? Verdict, Room for much improvement

P.S. Spell check wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
offtopic random thought - i was watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure last night ubblol That was made in 1988, The Matrix (first one) was made in 1998 - watching Bill and Ted makes you realise just how much special effects had gotten better over ten years.

I saw the second Matrix in the cinema, and was so appalled by how crap it was I ended up watching the thrid one on a borrowed dvd. The 2nd and 3rd were never going to be as good as the first one, but hey. Parts 2+3 should be viewed as one long film for it to make sense.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure also makes you realize Keanu Reeve's acting hasn't improved one ounce over 10 years.

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
LOTR is highly over rated, Matrix could have been the best thing since the godfather trilogy, but they got too bullet time obsessed and forgot the story and directing, oh yeah and the script.

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
LOL @ the last two posts. Actually mr reeves can act Ive seen him do a nice job in The Gift, its just hes allways getting these brooding stoic (right word?) dark mysteriouse rolles, plus he has the same dark haired constantine/the matrix look that to go with these parts.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
reeves cant act, he plays the same role over and over again, the role i have dubbed the "Woah" role...ok lets look at his career

'89 Bill & Ted - the origin of "Woah"
'90 the Bill & Ted TV series - Animated "Woah"
'91 Bill & Ted and Point Break - "Woah" the sequel and Surfer "Woah"
'92 Dracula - Supposedly his best film, and aparently not a "Woah" in sight
'94 Speed - High speed "Woah"
'95 Johnny Mnemonic - High tech future "Woah"
'97 Devil's Advocate - I Slept With My Sister "Woah"
'99 The Matrix - The Ultimate "Woah"
'00 The Replacements - American Football "Woah"
'03 The Animatrix, Matric Reloaded+Revolutions - Animated Ultimate "Woah" and Crap "Woah"
'05 Constantine - Angels and Demons "Woah"

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pigeon_Wigeon

You suck Henry... wink

Terribly sorry Ma'am. But this kid didn't study media studies unlike some funky chaps and chapesses.

Nor does he feel like going into much detail, especially seeing as there's a rather nasty english essay I must attend to.

But I knows some good philosphy rip offs when I sees them biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
The Frist matrix is and will be for a while, my fav movie of all time. the atmospere in it is perfect and it doesnt deviate from it at any time. the fight scenes were perfectly coriographed (sp?) and rehersed, with some of the best wire stuff ive seen in a while. The story is nuts complicated and takes a few times to get it (which i didnt mind doing). the best thing about it was the advertising (well here it was), you never saw previews or anything to even hint at what the movie was about. all we got was "what is the matrix?" everywhere we looked, so you went into the movie completely blind.

but as for the 2nd and 3rd, a bitter dissapointment. the story was stretched to thinly and was way to complicated to be even considered realistic in the world of the movie. the fight scenes were mostly CG, and even though reeves was still used for the motion capture in some of them, nothing beats real fleash and sweat, plus they didnt do a good job of hiding it, the "playdoh factor" as i call it was to easy to spot. The final fight between neo and smith was utter *beep*, just and excuse to blow a big budget on CG, plus the fight had no structure to it, just aimless punch up, not like the fight between neo and ceraph (sp?), glamorous style and techique. the mood of the first movie was carried over but was intermingled with love, heroic and dispare stories.

although i still am a big fan of the trilogy, and still watch it all on occasions, i will admit that the sequels spoilt it a bit. but still watchable.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Vampyricacid, quick thing while i go off to uni again but Godfather trilogy!! come on!! major disappointment, godfather one it should have stayed as wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

reeves cant act, he plays the same role over and over again, the role i have dubbed the "Woah" role...

haha, tom cruise is the same! whatever happens in whichever film he's in, he still has the same expression. it completely ruined war of the worlds (well, ok, it put the final few nails in the coffin)...'hey kids' 'oh no thats an alien' '[censored] i'm about to die' and 'thank god you're alive son' - ALL THE SAME FACE!
well, at least he'll never need botox.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
The War of the Worlds manages to be bad all by itself.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Reeves can't act...but he looks hot naked with all sorts of gizmos poking in his skin...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kieron

The War of the Worlds manages to be bad all by itself.

eek

That's just wrong!

Random Information: I went to the same School as H.G. Wells...

H.G. Wells = One of, if not the best Sci-Fi writer of his , and indeed all time! His works include:

The Time Machine

War of the worlds

The Invisible Man

The first Men in the Moon

The Island of Doctor Moreau

As well as many, many more, including textbooks on biology... I firmly believe, that if it weren't for H.G. Wells, Sci-Fi wouldn't be what it is today...

:controversy:

Maybe this thread should be renamed 'The Science Fiction Discussion Thread'? ubblol

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I think Kieron's trying to imply the film sucked? (i agree with that totally)...not the book biggrin

The Matrix Trilogy was a bad mistake. The first film was a great standalone with a great plot (messed with my head when I first saw it), but because people loved it so much, I think the Wachowski brothers decided to milk it for all its got...so they spewed out the other two...

I'd have preferred if they did something like Tolkien did and produced books or something which explained the world and timeline, instead of make 2 films after and try to cram in the information.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

10,530 posts

Posted:
I think the brothers had it all planned from the beginning.

Or at least, thats what they want us to think...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Reeves can't act...but he looks hot naked with all sorts of gizmos poking in his skin...

Now thats a fetish!

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol says harvy biggrin

I bought the matrix online for a tenner, terrible it is. Thank god they give you a month for free with subscription games, need to work out what to do with the cd now, maybie burn it or stick glitter and googly eyes on it and hang it on a string hehe

10,530 posts

Posted:
Send it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee. biggrin

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
LOL, you know i might do that Ive go nothing else to do with the cd. You can have it for nothing too. Does anyone going to the manc meet know your adress I could give it to them with a stamp if you really want it.

10,530 posts

Posted:
I don't think I have a computer that could handle it. Or a good enough internet connection.

And I don't think any of the manc lot have my adress (come to think of it, I know of only one HoPper who has it...)

But thankee for the offer smile

*back on topic*

smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
just a point about how smith dies, i think its kind of about neo createdd him by becoming part of him(when he dived into him in the matrix) so when smith entered neo, he was actually undoing his own creation. this could be totally off, but i think it sounds plausable, as plausuable as anything else that crazy movie said

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Yes, I meant the film sucked.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

Vampyricacid, quick thing while i go off to uni again but Godfather trilogy!! come on!! major disappointment, godfather one it should have stayed as wink

Godfather 2 is considered by most as the best of the trilogy, so without the trilogy it wouldnt have gotten better tongue

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
The matrix 1 was in no way original or revolutionary. Watch "Dark City" its like ten years earlier, and addresses all the same plot points, albiet without as polished a plot, but anyone kan fix the little problems with a book thats already written

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Actually, Dark City is only one year older then The Matrix, but I agree - it's a far better film.

The special effects in The Matrix really weren't even that groundbreaking - I'd seen the swooping camera thing done on Tomorrow's World years beforehand.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Hmm maybie you right come to think of it, and you know 'bullet time' wgich is so loved by everyone, is to me just slow motion with ripples lol, whats new about that!?

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
3d slow motion biggrin

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

Page: