scaryfireladyBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
hey everyone!!!
Im just needing a bit of help, i got into poi about a year ago, Im now wanting to expand into staff. Im really keen to get into it, but i dont know much about it. My main problems are:-

what size staff should i get?
and
what is the 1st moves i should be trying?

If anyone could give me a fews hints, that would be great!!!
biggrin

thanks very much

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
1) broomstick handle

2) lessons ^ see top of browser page, under "free lessons"

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/staff_lessons.php?lesson=1

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Size is a personal preference.

bounce

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
*dirty giggle*

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i have lots on different sizes and weights.... have decided that i like mine big and heavy smile my faves are about 5ft

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
Hav'nt weighed mine but it is heavy, 1200mm long. I have tried lighter staffs but seem to loose control of them as rotations increase, ditto on the broom stick biggrin

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

scaryfireladyBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
i heard the staff sgould come up to about your arm, is that right?
i want to get one soon!!!! biggrin

Ninja_Davemember
58 posts

Posted:
i found if u cut a red bull can up and then screw it onto the end of the broom stick and then wrap some kevlar round u have a perfectly weighted fire staff, and a nice bit of leather for the handle! i'd say the length of the staff depends entirely on wat aspect of staff spinning u would like to get into? i find with contact that i use a longer staff, bout 1.45metres? but when iwas learning doubles i was trying to get the technical side and so started with two1metre staffs and went on from there as some of the moves with two require them to be shorter, and then branch out to two or three long staffs! good luck

DanScorpnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
If you just want to do single staff I'd recommend a length of:
(your height) - 1'
Shorter staves are good if you want to do double staff, but when you're starting out you'll probably want to keep a bit of distance between you and the flame

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
6ft with 8inch wicks Hmmmmmm

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
wow, thats a big staff, they;re pretty when they're done right though. I perfer somewhere around 5 foot. Its all preferance.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Yer, staffs should be measured of the individual's height.

spaceboySILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
found short staffs easier to learn with and slow spinning...just hammer lessons 2,3 and 6 in the free lessons til you get the technique down

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Written by: spaceboy

found short staffs easier to learn with and slow spinning...just hammer lessons 2,3 and 6 in the free lessons til you get the technique down

I actually found it the other way around......

With short staffs I noticed they spin much faster with the same wrist moment than long staffs do... I guess this is becasue of their size and rotation. wink

weavesmiley

ThomasfireKing of potatoes
169 posts

Posted:
The size of the staaf really depands on what you acually wanna do. My first staff came up to my solar plexus. I found it was the perfect length to learn the basics. Now I'm really into CJ and it's obvious I need a longer staff, because I keep burning myself rolleyes

Anyway. if you want to do double staff or if you're more into doing stuff really fast (and non-CJ) you need a staff a little bit shorter than from ground to you d solar plexus.

Remember: short staffs spin quickly, and long staffs spin slower. And an other tip: determine the weight of your staff really carefully. You might find that light staff are easy to spin quick, but are less stabile than a staff a bit more heavy. The best weight is personal and also depends on your strenght, but to learn the basics, just try a weight which feels good, it really musn't be heavy, but neither should iit be really light-weight.

hope ya learn some col tricks son:

Staffasize the world!

Thomas smile

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
A good rule of thumb I've found is to make the staff around level with your chin when looking straight ahead (don't look up or down as it throws it off an inch or two). Just seems to be a very good length for me smile

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jesus Christ

I help those who help themselves

biggrin wink

Size is all about prefereance smile Although I've found that if it reaches your armpit and fits in snuggly, pushing you up a bit, you'll be in funsville.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think you will find Jesus was talking to a band of robbers when he was quoted saying that.
The wheel on his donkey he was riding from Bethlehem to Jerusalem came off, and he had to call into the nearest inn to find someone to repair it.
Unfortunatly, the first inn Jesus visited was full at the time as Friday nights in ancient Isreal were known as "2 4 1" night, and this particuar inn, "The Cow and Kippah", was known throught the land.
Anyway, Jesus was turned away from this first inn, and had to find help down a dark alleyway full of Philistine crack dealers and other "miscreants".
He was scared that if he didnt say that he helped those who helped themselves, that they would stab him in a crack cocaine fueled knife frenzy. Jesus wasnt so worried about actually being stabbed, what with being the son of God 'n' all, it was more getting the blood stains out of his best white robes.
The was no Shane Richey, Keith Chegwin OR Danny Baker back in those days to do a Daz doorstep challenge remember. The best they had back then, was hitting their soiled clothes agaisnt a rock, and if a particualrly suborn stain was found, they would hit the rock harder.

umm

mmmmmm...tea. smile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Shouldn't you be working? smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I rather enjoyed the story ^_^ partly because i SHOULD be sleeping. I want a bumpersticker that says "I'd rather be posting"

Don't mind me, just passing through.