Forums > Social Chat > Anyone had general anaesthetic??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ok the bones of this is that I have to have an operation on Thurs (don.t worry nothing life threatening I know you're all so concerned wink)
Thing is I'm reeeaaally scared about the going to sleep bit.
Seriously those 5 seconds are all I can think about- oh and the whole "what if I don't wake" up thing *shudders*
Anybody had a G.A and can say anything to put my mind at ease?
frown

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Written by: dani_babyboo

ketamine oooooo now that stuff is seriously messed up

It was medicinal so thats ok smile smile

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
it was also used in the vietnam war to treat wounded soldiers.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
G.A is so funny.

I've had it twice now. Last time was in January.

When you go to sleep it's really odd... I wasn't tired, but kept zoning out. But when you come around. that;s the funny thing.

I remember "waking up" to find myself chatting away to a nurse about stir fry ubblol
I have NO idea what the hell i was talking about, or of anything that happened beforehand. I only remember "waking up" to hear myself mention that her husband should cook her stirfry!!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
thankx everyone for your support, and I won't paint my toenails. Still do the bikini line tho although there is no reason they shud look there... I will be partially nekid anyway tho as it's a booby thing (blocked milk duct which they are removing if you really want to know).
It's a bugger about the make up - my skin is really bad at the mo. I worry about that no matter where I am, an operating theatre is no different rolleyes
Why I even have to have a general is beyond me, and the ketamine sounds much more fun, but that's the way it is.
I am off to scrub myself now, as I am not allowed to get my dressing wet for a week. Try showering without getting your boob wet, that's going to be really hard, so I'm trying to get extra clean before I go in. I really am acting wierd now aren't I.

Well, If I don't post again I guess you will know I didn't make it... bye

XLenX

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: ravehead

you know a scary ammount about ketamine!

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
how strange, after i've had g.a (twice) the first time was gas, apparently because i was too yound to have a needle, and the last thing i remeber was looking at the anaethitist, the second time they didn't put me out until i was on the table. however both time i'd wakeup after with the worst headache/hungover feeling, then i'd sleep for another three hours and i'd feel fine again, unfortuantly no morphine, but my dad cant have it cause he gets really bad trips from it

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Written by: thegreatBJ

Written by: ravehead

you know a scary ammount about ketamine!

Come to that, wounded soldiers in a war? That's a scary ammount of ketamine.

I went under a general anasthetic (I think it was, anyhow) when I was around six to have my adenoids out. I got wheeledunder some trees on the way to the theatre (though on reflection I might have dreamt that bit while knocked out), got inside and woke up with my throat and possibly the inside of my face hurting. I got green jelly though, so I like hospitals.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
AHHH LUUUUUURVE GREEN JELLEH!!

apologies to those who dont get the reference biggrin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
We use ketamine in children. It's a great drug; they don't remember a thing.

Of course, we have them on cardiac/respiratory monitors.

But it's not used for general anesthesia. It's used for conscious sedation.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i have only had ketty a few times, although it was illegal it is quite funky stuff.........i personally wouln't make a habbit out of it though because it prolly really messes you up in the head or something. but it's good to have an understanding of the effects

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Hello eveybody!
I survived I'm okay (but hurting very muchly frown)
Well that was a wierd day...a few minor mishaps, like them losing my blood test- I have had bad anaemia and they did't really want to do it without checking that first, but in the end we had waited so long they just said stuff it we'll do it now.
They took me into theatre before they knocked me out. I really wish they hadn't it was really frightening. Then the anaesthetist messed up the canula in my hand- he put it straight through the vein and out the other side into the back of my hand, I now have a large bruise and it hurts like hell. I nearly cried, poor bloke tho, couldn't stop saying sorry.
As for the sleepy bit, I had told him I was really scared, and he said he would give me something first that would make me feel pissed, but he didn't tell me he put the anaesthetic in straight after. So I feel a bit sloshed, think "I really feel like closing my eyes" and start to lie back... I remember hearing a bloke talking about a funny smell and feeling a mask going on, and then a woman saying deep breaths and taking the mask off and it was over!
So much for feeling invigorated tho- I couldn't even speak for half an hour. Now I feel like my mind is sharp, but my body is still fast asleep. Very odd.
Oh and Motley, "I AM ROD HULL!!"

XLenX

332 posts

Posted:
yey well done hon.... we all said it'd be fine hug

Im very proud of you!

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
YAY! your alive!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Glad you came came through it ok, knew you would, shame about the minor misshaps and the bruised hand tho frown. Sure you'll feel better in a few days.

HAHA I knew someone out there would get the reference biggrin biggrin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: misscorinthian

They took me into theatre before they knocked me out. I really wish they hadn't it was really frightening. Then the anaesthetist messed up the canula in my hand- he put it straight through the vein and out the other side into the back of my hand, I now have a large bruise and it hurts like hell. I nearly cried, poor bloke tho, couldn't stop saying sorry.

Bah! YOU try starting an IV on a girl with itty-bitty skeeny veins!

Ingrate. wink

(Glad it went well!)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: misscorinthian

Bah! YOU try starting an IV on a girl with itty-bitty skeeny veins!

Ingrate. wink

(Glad it went well!)

im a girl with itty bitty veins
took them 5 attempts last time and had to have them in my wrists in the end as they nearly collapsed my veins in my hands frown still got scars now

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Aw love you guys- feelin a bit better today, still not quite in my body tho, if you know what I mean. Hand is much better but booby still hurting lots ( they took out more tissue than they were plannig to).

I am lucky I have massive great juicy veins that pop up as soon as you look at them, I think we were just unlucky.

My dad has something called rolling veins- if you poke em with a needle they just wriggle out of the way. He says it very painful. Poor daddy I'm glad I don't have that.

hug to everyone - but mind the boob!

XLenX

332 posts

Posted:
how pants is the hospitsl you whent to... eather that or youre just really unlucky.... hope you feel better soon xx

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd finally reply to that, as I can now tell you I think I am just really unlucky. In fact, since the op, I had 2 days to recover and then one of my littlies went down with chickenpox- lots of sleepless nights and stress with fretting child. Then my other littlie gets this winter vomming thing, so more sleepless nights, fretting child PLUS vomit and a bit of the squits. Now first littlie, barely recovered from the pox, gets winter vomming thing, so she been sick 2 weeks altogether now and not a happy chappette. We are all shattered, but I don't feel I had the chance to recover from the op yet.

Today, a piece of thread has popped outa my boob. I mean how long does it take for these things to dissolve? I seriously have what looks like crochet cotton hanging there, and it wont pull out.
I have also resigned to the fact that I have lost most of the sensation in that nip. I'm quite upset about that.
So yeah, I've not had a good few weeks.

On the plus side tho I now no I do not have cancer, even tho the chances were very small I was worried about that .
Roll on 2006.

XLenX

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
yay! sorry bou the bad things hug but yay for the good ones! hug rooooolllll on 2006 indeed!!

Page: