Forums > Social Chat > I'm frustrated because...

Login/Join to Participate

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
...I'm a beginner at poi who has inevitably reached the point where I can no longer progress until I’ve practiced and perfected the basics I already know. It feels really weird to not be learning new tricks constantly and it’s a little tedious and even kind of boring. I guess all I can do is be patient and just stick to it, right? Anyone else ever feel like this? I need encouragement and motivation.

Today, I smacked myself square in the nose whilst practicing with sock poi (tennis balls are painful). To make matters worse, as the poi bounced off of my face, it yanked the stud out from my nostril – it was truly agonising. I suppose piercings and poi don't mix well together.

I plan on joining my university's juggling club soon. I'm a little anxious about it and worried that I don't know enough to join yet, but I'll see how it goes. I hope they are nice people.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
what university are you at?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey philomel,

what do you do of a sunday night? we have a gathering across the road from the spiegel tent on st. kilda rd, just a short walk from flinders st station. we gather on the hill with the 3 palm trees from about 7 onwards. our thread is [Old link]

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I'm at Melbourne Uni, doing a Bachelor of Arts (double major in English Literature and Political Science).

I'd heard about the Sunday and Wednesday night gatherings. I'll probably come along to one fairly soon. The only problem is that I live in the outer Eastern suburbs so I have to go home from the city quite early via public transport (ugh!).

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
what line are you on, alot of people come a fair way. im halfway down the frankston line.

cheers, pete hug hug hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Belgrave/Lilydale lines, near Ringwood Station.

You sure are fond of these two!: hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i shall talk to some of the others, ask where they are.

cheers, pete kiss kiss kiss

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I plan on joining my university's juggling club soon. I'm a little anxious about it and worried that I don't know enough to join yet, but I'll see how it goes. I hope they are nice people.

Over here most people seem to love teaching newbies so you might find it an advantage to not know much wink

Goodluck

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ok, ive talked to a few people, and: bluebottle, no_pancakes, flickveritas, and clarence_quack all catch the belgrave lilydale lines.

hope to meet you soon

cheers, pete hug

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Maybie you just think you've learned everything you can on your own, have you seen any books on poi spinning? Theres some out there, tho i dunno what there called, they might be able to teach you some things.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Gnor: Yay, that makes me a little more confident to approach the juggling club people.

Pete: Cool, thanks for following that up. I will try to make it in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably have to get there early (around 7 PM or so) and leave fairly early as well. It would be nice to have some company on the train home if possible! My real name is Courtney, by the way (just thought I'd point that out since I won't be introducing myself as 'Philomel' in person, hehe.) smile

Joe: I have been teaching myself from online tutorials, as well as the instructional book and DVD from the HoP online shop. I can do most of the things outlined in the 'Basics' section of Kahn's book. Of course, it's possible that I'm doing them very poorly or even incorrectly, but we'll see! I've flicked through the 'Intermediate' section and can do some of those tricks as well (like the Mexican Wave, The Wiggle, and so on) but can't do reverse-TTN or Waistwraps yet! It seems that I just don't have the flexibility or skill to advance as quick as I was previously. So I think I will benefit more from focusing on transitions, turns, control and flow, etc. rather than racing ahead to learn 1,000 new 'moves'. Also, from now on I am probably better off learning from other spinners directly.