Forums > Social Chat > I really gotta quit practising poi indoors

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Third time this morning i've knocked down my light shade from the cieling. while we're on the subject, whats the best trick to move onto after "The weave" is mastered?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Get out more.. wink

after weave... learn it backwards...
then learn how to turn and link the two.
smile

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
... and then do a flower (I think) during the turn, or a windmill thing...

Good at poi, me is.

Willy - is bad for your health...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
so... leave the light shade off... biggrin

(this would also be advisable for me to do as i have a glass lampshade...)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, one of my favourite tricks, the "break the light while practicing indoors" move. Im really good at it!

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

278 posts

Posted:
biggrin i've actualy been practising backwards weave for about a week now, i can't grasp it

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

1,019 posts

Posted:
*resists urge to mock thumperrabbit for not being able to do backwards weave*

Have you tried the "do a normal forward weave, then turn" method? That works well, or that one handed method of doing it, so you get the pattern on both sides?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Have you tried giving upall together?

Worked wonders for me wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thumperrabbit, dont worry, it took my absolutely AGES to get the backwards weave, i felt like such a goon, i thought "is this it? am i destined forever to not be able to do it?"
I promise promise promise you will get it.
the way i finally did it was practicing it without poi! just move your hands and wrists backwards weave stylee! then, your brain knows what its doing! sounds silly, but it worked for me wink

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Have you tried giving upall together?

Worked wonders for me wink

Good advice.

I would like to add -

Once you've given poi up, there's this AMAZING art form where you throw things in the air! These objects leave your body, and it's much harder than any of this poi or "staff" nonsense.

wink

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Buh?

Have you seen three staff juggling?

Best hybrid of two object manipulation I've ever seen.

Erm....

shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

1,019 posts

Posted:
>.>

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I agree with jo but also practising a move with clubs can help...you can see what your hands are supposed 2 b doing as you can slow it right down, and even stop in the middle- which you obviously can't do with the poi... It still takes time to get the move right tho as the poi feel totally different...keep trying you'll be so chuffed with yourself when you've done it ubbrollsmile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
*looks up* there is a huge plastic chunk missing from my lightsocket in my room, you know the bit you screw the lighbuld fits into, there probably about 6 different health and safty reason for getting it replaced...meh. Im ok as long as I dont touh the exposed bits lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I started poi in a small room with my best ornaments and a fish tank... it was excellent cos I REALLY learned to know where they were!

Young Knoxious took out an antique lampshade though, and that was with Qld 12foot ceilings!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
smashing a glass lightshade over my unicycle because i hit is with a 5 ft contact staff and it fell, oh the fun. i really should replace my bedroom light sometime, but i only go in my room to change and sleep, i dont really need light!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PhilomelSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Today I noticed that the ceiling of the room I practice in (we call it 'the lounge room') is covered in dirty marks from where my sock poi have scraped it. I hope my parents don't notice this anytime soon!

I prefer practicing outside, but the weather always seems to be against me, and my neighbours are nosey! After a few minutes of being outside, the neighbours are either watching me from their windows or their front lawns. I don't mind people watching me so much, but these particular people creep me out!

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
i always practice outside...kennidy (my puppy) always thinks that i am playing a new type of fetch with him and gets in the way though. fox terriers can jump very high... any advice on how to get him to stop? he drives me bonkers. and i cant leave him in the house b/c we have a doggie door...and i cant tie him up b/c he yelps and that drives me bonkers too
lol
i love my widdle baby boy, but he does drive me nuts sometimes

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i have plastic light shades for a reason and they offer a fairly good protection for light bulb. my ceeling has many marks on it from indoor staff although my front room seems to be arranged for poi-ing...... talking of which i need to learn more stuff too hug hug hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

278 posts

Posted:
I have one of those paper bubble lamp shades, one side of it has caved in after a pretty wild swing has whiped my sock poi into it. Also now my mom has moved a load of chairs from the living room downstairs into my room, because the floors downstairs have got damp, so we gotta smash up the concrete for and crap frown ah I hate it when things like this happen. I really should try practising out in the garden more often.

278 posts

Posted:
Written by: jo_rhymes

thumperrabbit, dont worry, it took my absolutely AGES to get the backwards weave, i felt like such a goon, i thought "is this it? am i destined forever to not be able to do it?"
I promise promise promise you will get it.
the way i finally did it was practicing it without poi! just move your hands and wrists backwards weave stylee! then, your brain knows what its doing! sounds silly, but it worked for me wink

I think i've got the general movement right, just not the timing. my poi's keep colliding, hopfully i'll have grasped in within a week, i'll keep you all posted.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
always good and with the winter kicking in at least you get an incentive to keep it up.... even if it is just to keep you warm.... side note my garden is also arranged for spinning
hehehehe

278 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna rearrange my bedroom tonight after college, so it's a bit easier to practice. cept that dam lightshade is annoying me. i'm moving to my mother's house in the summer holidays, so the ceilings are ALOT higher there, by about an extra meter. that that will deffinantly make it easier.

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i love having my own house

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Hey thumper keep on practicing that backward weave it's worth learning and once you have mastered it try learning the butterfly or if you got that one downpat alredy try threading the needle and by the way once you master anything in poi it is a thousand times more difficult to do it in reverse but still quite possible even some of the cooler trick like angel wings can be done backward. and my only other advice for you is that when practicing poi there will always be mulltiple blows to the sensitive parts (knowing grimice of rememberance)

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
oops soz i have still more advice (coz i lied).
Save the lampshade go outside and pracice the tricks that you THINK you can do with FIRE POI (not the ones that you know you can do) trust me.
Self preservation instincts kick in and you learn so much quicker.
devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

278 posts

Posted:
Yes, i noticed the "multtiple blows", as i remember being on my knee's for the best part of 15 minute's after a wild swing. I will keep trying some backward tricks, i need higher ceilings, but i'll practice outside more often.

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

... and then do a flower (I think) during the turn, or a windmill thing...

Good at poi, me is.

how do you do the flower? (although i can practice at the mo my poi is somewhere else) ive been trying to figure it out without poi actually in my hand but thats just difficult

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: jo_rhymes

and backwards 5 beat is even harder - four months of poi and i only got it last saturday!!! eek eek eek

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Backwards 5 beat weave...bane of my life.

4 months? I'd say that's good going.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Gaah, backwards 5 beat.... i just gave up on it eventually smile I can do five beat forwards behind the back though!!! ubblol

Written by: Philomel

Today I noticed that the ceiling of the room I practice in (we call it 'the lounge room') is covered in dirty marks from where my sock poi have scraped it. I hope my parents don't notice this anytime soon!

yeah, our ceiling looks a bit like that from using firepoi (unlit!!!!) for indoorpractice...

Written by: Thumperabbit

have one of those paper bubble lamp shades, one side of it has caved in after a pretty wild swing has whiped my sock poi into it.

yup, shredded two of those, too.... smile

everyone's unique except me

Page: