MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My proposal:

They need to be banned. Seriously. Do they present car theft? Oh yeah, because everyone comes running when one goes off and doesn't completely ignore it, right? wink

A car alarm does nothing to prevent theft...and everything to wake up the entire censored neighborhood at least twice a night. mad

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with you on this one. Especially those car alarms that make 50 different alarm sounds when they go off, they are incredibly annoying. Also, there is a hall near me and the burgular alarm goes off at least once a week. It gets left for hours and is really irritating when I'm trying to do work.

grrr!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
There used to be a guy over the road that had a car with talking alarm. If anyone got within 3 foot of the car it would shout out "Step away from the Vehicle. This car is alarmed and the engine will not start without the alarm key" It repeated this about 6 times before it shut off. As it was parked on a road that people walk their dogs up and down all hours of the day or night it was constantly going off. It drove me to the point of nearly hitting the guy after a few weeks worth of very, very disturbed sleep.

In south Wales we have one of the highest rates of car crime in the UK. there are a huge number of cases of cars being stolen and broken into. Alarms on cars seem to do nothing to stop this happening.

One little toe rag used to take a car jack with him when he went out to steal cars because to stop certain alarms on cars all you have to do is lift the front over a 45 degree angle and it will cut the alarm out because it thinks its being towed away.

I am all for banning Car alarms. They do nothing to deter would be thieves and they cause a lot of noise pollution.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
At last!!!

I agree with Mike on something smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Your a gay man! You shouldnt be asleep at night times anymway!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Your a gay man! You shouldnt be asleep at night times anymway!

Just to clarify, for those who, understandably, may assume that a post not explicitly stating to who it is referring, is actually addressing the post immediately preceeding it- I am not gay smile

Joe, to eliminate future possibility of such confusions, I can recomend use of the 'quote' button.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dave, you're *NOT???*

Who knew?

wink

(Um...I love you mate, but... "duh.")

-Mike

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Just to clarify, for those who, understandably, may assume that a post not explicitly stating to who it is referring, is actually addressing the post immediately preceeding it- I am not gay smile

*cough*overcompenstating*cough* wink ubbrollsmile

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The lady dost protest too much...

-Mike

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol, ooh you've been outed now dave! Theres no going back! ubbrollsmile

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
alarms are wikkid when used properly.
tehy set off flashbacks to doof memories and sonic cannons have been used to protect cruise ships from pirates.
arr!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
they should use the south african ones with flamethrowers instead. though i don't know what happens when those ones go off accidentally...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
My mums' neighbour had an alarm that made a little beep evry 10 secs or so. They parked right under her window- she could hear it but they couldn't. It drove her nuts day and night. She rallied round all the neighbours and they ended up calling the environments agency saying it was noise pollution.
Man, you don't p*ss off my mum.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
They don't stop car breakins? Huh... Its funny that all the cars in my parking lot got broken into except the ones with little blinky red lights representing car alarms then.

They are meant to be annoying. That is the entire point. The cases you are talking about probably have to do with fools who do not know to turn down the sensativity on their alarm, since these are obviously up way to high. That talking one is overdoing it of course though...

And everyone ignores it? I don't. If I hear a car alarm, I look to see where its coming from. Maybe thats just because I have one, so those of us with them tend to be good summaritans about them and more understanding of unfortunate alarm difficulties like those you are experiencing.

I know this much: avoiding the $100 or so to replace the broken window is worth your agrivation. Sorry, I'm poor.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well I heard of a cool invention used by some nice new Ford cars, they only start with a key with an electronic chip in it or possibly a laser, and cant be hotwierd apparently.

*looking at that scentence* I need to learn how to spell simple words lol

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Jaguar (I believe?) has been doing that for years, as have Dodge and some others. This is great for preventing car THEFT, but its the whole breaking out my window thing I'm worried about personally. The little red light does good for that (note: buy a little blinky led and put it on your dashboard for similar effect!)

The downside is if you need a new key, or a copy, these keys can cost from $60 to $100... As someone who has lost their keys before... that would SUCK.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I enjoy setting off car alarms with the loud exhaust on my motorcycle. Stupidly sensitive alarms deserve a work-out. Hehehe. Not in the middle of the night though. That sux.

True.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I would like, at this point, to throw out a truism I once heard:

"A lock keeps an honest man from stealing."

Alarms can be foiled, and locks can be picked. There is no such thing as the unbreakable lock.

-Mike

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Yep, but it sure makes me feel better regardless! smile

SpeedBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
i live in a hall of residence where several of my friends enjoy setting off harmless but very loud bombs.... they also happen to have the added effect of setting off car alarms all around campus. Amusing, but only if you're not trying to sleep. Though i must agree with Brit_joe on the sleeping at night comment... why on earth would someone do a thing like sleep at night; what, are you werid? :P

The goth-girl who was introduced to fire...

The only thing in the world that there's not enough of apart from hot guys and chocolate, is Pyros