Page:
jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
After a month of messing around, i've finally produced my first povStick! (pov = persistance of vision, not povo). first prototype is rather dodgy as i can't seem to get the timer interrupt on the pic chip to work propery frown

example pattern:

Non-Https Image Link

the device itself:

Non-Https Image Link

hopefully i'll eventually be able to put this on staves & pois

BTW, I really have to thank hyperlight & polarity (especially polarity's site about his led poi). if it wasn't for you guys, i'd probably would have never started this project thinking that it'll be too hard. Cheers!

EDIT: more patterns

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

and i just realised that the darned thing can't run all it's LEDs for more than 15mins as the batteries go flat (which is why the patterns look a little weird & dim at places)

EDITED_BY: The Misguided Oracle (1132020063)

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Let me know where you get your superflux rgbs; I found lots of places that looked like they were selling RGB superfluxes, but it just meant they had red green and blue ones...

monkeys ate my brain

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
www.dotlight.de :-)
they are real ones. just 1.24 euro per piece. which is OK for them. they're not very very bright but have 130 degrees viewing angles, which is pretty good smile

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
mo-seph, I actually checked out your site some time back while I was trying to figure out how to build my led staff smile although it dosen't seem to solve the issues that I have run into with my design (i'm trying to put pcbs in there + keep it secure & not crack + having the weight balance at the ends of the staff).

damn, anonomatos, running 100x3 superfluxes :P you're gonna need some serious power source to give them enough juice. this i gotta see biggrin hahaah

I'm just gonna go with a single colour and not potentially have 7-8amps running though the staff if everything was lit :P heheheh

btw, are 100 transistors really enough?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
no dear. not 100 superfluxes at once!!
30 for each poi (15 in a row, back to back) = 60 total.

lots for staff too (at least 40, but i think more)... prolly will be mounting them back to back too.

just got a call, i got a gig this friday, 15min fireshow brings me 100 euros. meaning ill be ordering even more stuff prolly biggrin im thinking of going for PIC's with larger memory...
damn this project is going rapid

smile

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Written by: The Misguided Oracle

i'm trying to put pcbs in there + keep it secure & not crack + having the weight balance at the ends of the staff

Yup. My advice (which is probably all fairly obvious) would be:

- put the circuit in the middle, for shock protection. You can run diffusers over each side of the board to try and get full light coverage

- figure out a design with as few external components on the board as possible. I'm looking at Atmels, and i only need a couple of resistors for usb and a voltage regulator if I'm feeling fancy. For a single colour you can easily get a mosfet that'll do the job . I'm thinking that I'll get rid of the board and use lots of glue and wire links - with a bit of thought, I reckon it's doable

- put lots of silicone sealant on the ends for weight wink

- I decided to go for luxeons instead of lots of little lights - much less wiring and potential points of failure.

monkeys ate my brain

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

I decided to go for luxeons instead of lots of little lights - much less wiring and potential points of failure.

...and probably brighter overall too! Gotta love luxeons biggrin

Cake or Death?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
But they tend to get warm though... and in a sockpoi it's ok cuz your swinging it around. But in a staff? I really dunno :S

And you CAN'T do the night-rider thing with just a few leds wink

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
It might just be that I've been under-driving mine a little, but they never seem to get _that_ warm. You could be right though. I'm quite tempted to try and build a luxeon staff now - I wonder what a luxeon staff with (say) 6 sections would look like :O £48 on luxeons alone ain't cheap, but I bet it'd be purdy wink

Cake or Death?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
It'll be like swinging a light sabre around tongue

FEEL THE FORCE!

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
why do i somehow feel the urge to purcahse a welding mask all of a sudden...?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
I dunno.

They are not the latest fashion eh?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I have one (and can weld stuff) smile

Cake or Death?

joepublicnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
purdy!

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Whoa! That's spiffy! Can I have it? Hehe, does the wire break?

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

Page: