Forums > Social Discussion > Who is Victor? giving out bad advice!

Login/Join to Participate

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
eek holy crap! i didn't think there were people that stupid in the world! (meaning victor) i hope the newbie didn't take his dangerous advice!!! eek

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Who was the new user that was told to do this? Maybe They could help you out more? Any idea of a Country of origin?

I'll keep my ears open, though.

edit: Just realised that if you know this has happened, you've probably already spoken to 'the new user'. All in all, a useless post. Sorry.
EDITED_BY: Long_Time_Coming (1131665154)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
The customer in question doesnt post here. She simply bought a set of poi from the site after getting some advice from "Victor." She did indeed burn the fluffy poi but luckily she wasnt injured in the process. She did note some rather dazzling flame colors as they began to ignite however. eek

I will post any additional info I get here.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Man, I can't believe someone would give out advice like that, and worse still, claim they were part of your organisation!

I hope you sort this out, and I'm glad the newbie affected wasn't hurt!

hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

There are some silly people about....
frown

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Is this him?

[Old link]

Just a suggestion. Not an accusation. His name is victor... shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
What are fluffy poi made out of anyway? Seems kinda silly to me anyone would believe this type of poi is supposidly the type you set on fire in the first place to be honest.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
People are surprisingly naive about firetoys in general, though. Like the people who made fire swords out of cloth and lit them with petrol.

People really have no idea. I can imagine a set of fluffly poi looks like the sort of thing which would take on fuel, if you don't know much about poi. Despite the fact it's so glaringly dumb to those of us who know better.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

v_i_cmember
57 posts

Posted:
It's NOT me for sure!

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Why would someone do that?!
How immature can yo get?

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
d'ya think iy was immature?

What if it was just stupidity? What if Victor thought this was true; that he did it himself?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
It sounds more Naiive than malitious to me too. From the fact they were saying that after the first few burns you need to break the melted outside sounds like the person in question had done it themselves. Seems a seriously stupid mistake to make, seen as the shop has a whole section dedicated to fire poi, that surely, if you were going to buy fire poi, you would look at.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
so he was definately posing as an empolyee? sorry just from your initial post you said someone from this site so i assumed you meant a member of the community

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think maybie this calls for a warning to be put on the shop , Fire poi REQUIRE a speacial type of poi, or something simalar.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Its a shame that shouldnt have to happen, the word FIRE poi should give it away, and this is the first time ive heard of this being said so it would be a shame to put a warning on non fire toys that they shouldnt be used for any kind of fire performance, i'd just end up going well duh!
what a shame frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
exaggerating one'saffiliation with HoP in giving bogus advice on a potentially dangerous art always runs the risk of being caught.

nevertheless i would hesitate in passing judgement before this individual gets a chance to explain himself...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
At least he didn't tell them to soak it in petrol... jeez some people are complete b******ds frown

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, she used white gas which isnt a whole hell of a lot better.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:

i know of people who were going to set sock poi on fire... so unfortuently this doesn't shock me.

its just a good Job that it was acted on and drawn to our attention. You have to love HOP... this thread just shows people how caring you all are hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
actually I have met people who told me about experimentation with tennisballs dipped in paraffin when they were drunk. Fortunately no one was hurt, but it did make quite a mess. I find myself constantly despairing of people who want to spin fire but have not put any thought into the safety aspects of it.

I mean, is the need to spin fire really so urgent that you can't spend 15 minutes searching for info, reading it up and then checking you're actually going to be safe when you light up? that brief period of time could make a difference on the whole of the rest of your life...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
One of the most common things I get asked by passersby when I am spinning is "so you light those on fire?". I have to take great care when I answer and say "not these ones, I have some fire poi. But I do this with fire, yes."

People who have not seen real fire poi will leap to the (il)logical conclusion that you must be able to light practice poi somehow. And that's when they bring out the tennis balls of fiery doom.

Although it does worry me that someone has visited the HoP shop and not made the connection, cos the firepoi are all there to see!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: somber

toys: everything that i can set on fire : poi (fire & comet)

confused so that link does say some thing along these very same lines.

I totally agree with you Rozi, people just assume because they do not know.
I would have thought with how big the community is now that there would be more informal information being passed to the general public from this community... people talk you know. wink

hope you get to the bottom of this malcolm hug

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
sometimes we aren't simply twirlers,
we are also fire safety ambassadors with fantastic legs
:glints in eye:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always