CrazyPoiLadynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
hey, im pretty new to the site so this mite already be somewhere, if so please direct me...
ive been working on the 7 beat weave for a while now and i thought I had it but it was just a giant five so I worked on twisting my arms more and now i have it on one side of my body and i can bring it across, every once and a while it works on both sides but most of the time it slips into a 5 beat infinity weave on my right side.
I was just wondering if anyone had this and cud offer some advice cuz i dont think ive ever seen anyone do it,
any help appreciated!
Clare xx

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
3 beat + thru wrap is the same as a 5, right?

so 5 beat + thru wrap is a 7 beat. try to get the timing of the turn down through the thru-wrap version and it'll help you not try going into an 8-9 beat (-infinite wrap).

-- dut

CrazyPoiLadynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
thanks, I will, I hadn't thought of trying it as a wrap, its just my arms don't wanna twist around each other enough for the poi not to cross and start infinity weaving, but i suppose with a wrap that wouldn't be as much of an issiue..

off to practice...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I never understood it when I see ppl talking about 7,8, 9 beat weaves.. I can't imagine twisting my arms that much, and even if they could, I don't imagine it would be a pretty spin. I don't think I've ever seen a weave higher than 5 that wasn't actually 3/5 + wrap/hyperloop... ahwell.. jargon and nomenclature will kill society some day...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I've seen a video of someone (think it's PK) doing a seven beat weave and it looks great! It's not so much what the poi are doing, that looks fairly similar to a five beat, but watching someone pull that off and still look graceful is incredible...

Don't have any tips to offer though, other than growing a few new elbows.

Don't worry, be happy...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
There are several ways of doing a 7bt and not all of them involve crazy arm contortions. Try doing a 5bt but pointing it down so the leading poi stays on the same side rather than across your body and then bringing the other poi across first. It's less twisting that way, although keeping both poi nicely split-time is a real pain...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"3 beat + thru wrap is the same as a 5, right?"

Dont quote me on this, but I think that might be wrong.
There are no wraps in a 5 beat, other than your wrists.
So whether this is a wrap in the normal poi sence (where the poi itself wraps round something) or not, I dont know.

smile

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
go look at www.motsplace.com

Gayle.....!

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
you can do a loose 5beat when rather than your wrists wrapping its the poi on your wrists

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or you can do a 5beat where nothing touches or wraps at all...
its surely all about variations?

umm

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
lol you asked for it...
but isnt the 5beat just a variation on a 3beat, which is a variation of a crossover, which is a variation of spinning them?

being a variation doesn't mean it doesnt exist as its own move/term.

It has been said so many times: There is no spoon...wait thats not right... There are no moves

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Well, if you were to define a five beat weave, then it would contain no through wrap, you do it by twisting your wrists round each other.

A seven beat weave is achievable by twisting higher up at your arms, and at your wrists, again, it contains no through wrap.

This is how most people would define the moves. However, there are of course many varitations and ways of doing this.

Also, this qustion has come up many times before. You can find answers by using the search function at the top right of the page. It is best to do a search before posting any new topic, I have done a search for you as you are new.

Also you'll notice a sticky thread at the top of the page that contains links to advice for a lot of moves, its a good idea to check there first. [Old link]

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

So whether this is a wrap in the normal poi sence (where the poi itself wraps round something) or not, I dont know.

smile

eww. i'm quoting you anyways. lol. i'm only wrong if you read what i say and apply 0 context to it. hmm. lets try a "benefit of the doubt" exercise -- in what way is a 3 beat+thru wrap related to a 5? is it not the same way a 5+thru wrap is related to a 7? in the 5, the poi heads are in exactly the same places whether you're wrapping chains at the elbows (thu-wrap), wrists to wrists ("unwrapped"), or halfway down the chains (tangled). which to me is "all the same thing" -- a weave pattern with 5 beats. being able to twist into a 7 is a lot easier than being able to twist out cleanly, which more controlled thru wrapping will help with.

wait.. or are you saying you don't understand the term through-wrap/thru-wrap at all??

this guy describes it here, but you tried to "correct" him:

Written by: Vampyricacid

you can do a loose 5beat when rather than your wrists wrapping its the poi on your wrists

Vv--- and is this guy a bot?? haha! that's too perfect!

Written by: pricklyleaf

This is how most people would define the moves. However, there are of course many varitations and ways of doing this.

Also, this qustion has come up many times before. You can find answers by using the search function at the top right of the page. It is best to do a search before posting any new topic, I have done a search for you as you are new.

Also you'll notice a sticky thread at the top of the page that contains links to advice for a lot of moves, its a good idea to check there first. [Old link]

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1131662103)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

smile

eww. i'm quoting you anyways. lol. i'm only wrong if you read what i say and apply 0 context to it. hmm. *snip*

You might not be entirely wrong, but you're not entirely right either.
A 3 beat weave + through wrap isn't the same as a 5 beat weave - yes, it's has the same number of beats and looks fairly similar but there's a fairly hefty difference between twisting your wrists around each other and doing a through wrap around your hands.

By the same token, a 5 beat weave + through wrap isn't the same as a 7 beat weave.

*shrug* depends how in depth you want to go with definitions I suppose.
Personally, I'd call the 5 beat weave and the 3 beat weave with through wraps different moves - it might seem like a mouthful sometimes, but it cuts down on confusion when most of the time we can only use text to talk to each other.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

You might not be entirely wrong, but you're not entirely right either.

i'm entirely right in saying that a thru-wrap on the end of a 5 will help someone learn to exit the 7 more cleanly. biggrin the person who asked the question understood that immediately the way i stated it. i've made no attempts to "define" anything, since a definition wasn't sought, but rather to explain why i thought that using a thru-wrap to learn extra beats is a benefit. if i can tell you the difference, i obviously don't think they're "the exact same thing", right? hehe. so where's the debate? a 3 beat + thru-wraps is "a" 5 beat weave and no one has tried to claim it's "the"/"the only" 5 beat weave. *shrug*

i haven't thought of any other tricks that might help the original poster tho. i can only ever do this cleanly as a wrist/fingerwrap with any seperation, unless you kind of turn into it on the side like spiral says. how to get through full turns of that i don't know. hehe.

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1131682975)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
the position, timing , etc.. yes you are right... is it a 5bt weave.. no.. not in any sense. its a 3bt + thruwraps.. weaves dont thru-wrap.. the whole point of the weave is to thruwrap your wrists, not the strings.. hehe.. but yes dut.. adding the thru-wrap is the best way to learn the next up weave.. in most cases.. wink

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

i'm entirely right in saying that a thru-wrap on the end of a 5 will help someone learn to exit the 7 more cleanly. biggrin

Totally agree here. The 3bt+thru-wrap is easier to learn than a "proper" 5bt I'd say, but harder to actually get clean - keeping thru-wraps properly split time in this case requires good control. Similarly a 5bt+thru-wrap is easier than a 7bt, and the control you learn there will help when you can actually twist your arms enough to do it properly.

Plus with the thru-wraps you can play around with making big circle/small circle pairs which can look nice.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

And all that's jazzBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I've just recently been messing around with 7bts and things, and was perfectly fine with understanding what I was doing until started hearing through-wraps and other such semanticisms. I'm now confused.

A through-wrap is where the the cables wrap around the wrists at the end of the weave, allowing an extra beat on that side but without further contortion, ce n'est pas? Whereas a weave proper involves no contact of poi with said wrists, but is instead a proper intertwining of arms?

If this is the case, then I have found I can do 7bts using both 5bt + through-wrap (forward and reverse) and a 7bt true (forwards only), as well as transitions between the 5bt + through wraps. I find the 5bt + through wrap method much easier, and in fact easier to control the split time in (maybe because for the 7bt true I begin wrapping arms at the elbows).

The way I do the 5bt + through wrap method runs thusly:

whilst doing the 5bt, you will find that the both hands face away from you when moving across the body (i.e., say on your right side, when moving across the body the palms of both hands face out to your right rather than into your body). (Still on the right side) to do the through wrap, I turn the right hand through 180 degrees so the palm faces me, and instead of leading across the body with the left poi I let it wrap across the underside of my right wrist and do an extra beat on the right side. Whilst doing this the right poi will lead across the body to the left side, and (by applying considerable finger pressure) I can keep it going fast enough that it is not caught by the now shorter (and hence faster) left poi. Then you unwrap, and do it all again.

That's probably not very clear. Oh well, hope it helps.

Jazz

C8H18 + 12.5O2 ---------> 8CO2 + 9H2O + you know what