PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Calling all you computer peeps, i have 2 questions.

1)how do i lock my motherboard?

2) how do i find out the last time my computer was logged on to.

the problem is that my friend works in an office at a homeless hostel, the security night staff are using the computer to access residents files which is illegal, have tried pass wording (windows xp user account passwording) the computer but this has failed, the security staff guessed the hint or have been told by residents. we need to find proof they have been using the computer at night so the security can be sacked for breaking rules and breaching confidentiality. cheers for any suggestions you can think of

the locking of the motherboard question is due to the fact that if they are going to continually do this then a harder password (passwording the motherboard) is needed

but basically what they really want to know is when someone has been logging on,

thanks very much hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
you can get into the bios and password the computer so that as soon as it turns on, it asks for a password....

Its in the bios, and that can be accessed via f4 i think.... proberly wrong about f4 but a f button gets you into bios...

flid.... ucof... mech...

where are u?

passing through, this world still lives.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
hey there! BIOS passwords are ridiculously easy to overcome, as all that needs to be done is to reset the bios, which can be done by removing the battery for a few seconds.

However, if the case is locked, then it's secure enough. once you boot up, pressing delete when it tells you to will get you through to the BIOS. Then just follow the instructions.

Passowrds should be at least 8 digits long, should not be words, but instead should be strings of letters and numbers. "leet" speak is very good as the strings are very easy to remember!

As for evidence, the best thing to do is to buy a key logger to put between the keyboard and the case, which'll tell you for certain if the computer has been used at night. Apart from that, there's no way of telling.

Cya!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
basically, if they have physical access to the computer, it's practically always hackable. What you really need, is to encrypt your harddisk, like rubberhose does. smile

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
my advise, buy a cheap webcam. set it up and aim it at the place a person would be in front of the PC. then get a simple keylogger (a program OR a physical one) and there ya go. theres lots of free software out there that lets you monitor stuf via these 2 means, hit up a google search.
key logger 1
key logger 2
key logger 3
mo' stuff
cam monitoring
another cam spy

alternatively, if you have a network set up and another pc somewhere else (on th enetwork) you can install WinVNC or TightVNC (these are remote monitoring/controling software). I use TightVNC and RealVNC all the time here, to work on PC's in other rooms, or watch what the customers are trying to do on the PCs/Laptops at work.
tightvnc
winvnc
Realvnc

but really the best option is to use the cam and keylogger since you have definitive proof of whats goin on there.

good luck

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
rubberhose=rubberheart? umm

"BIOS passwords are ridiculously easy to overcome" - Only if you know how to. Im guessing the average security guard isnt going to find JP10 ( wink ) and wont know about how to reset the bios. They probably dont know what bios stands for... rolleyes

"accessed via f4"- its either del (usually) or sometimes F1. Hold it as soon as your computer is turned on.

Will- you know where we are smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Thanks very much guys, i'll pass on the information! however the residents of this place also use the computer at night so locking the computer may not do any good cos they'll have to tell the residents the password, the main problem is like just before they go off the comp the night staff say stuff like can you leave it on i'll turn it off etc, thats when they access private files, i asked them why dont they make their files private or set up an administrator account yet they would rather the residents have access to their files too, so the main problem is seeing when certain files are opened so therefore they can ask any resident if they were looking at that file say at 3am and if they all say no then they know its a security guard, ive checked under the properties of a document but it only says what date it was last viewed, not time, thanks for the help i'll see if i can get any mroe info, i'll especially push the fact that i think they need to have an administrator account, then a restricted account for each user, that would solves a lot of problems

thanks hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
If you want to hide the files and folders completely, download Magic Folders

Its an awesome tool biggrin

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Wow, so many posts without anyone asking about the system!

Ok, What is the OS? is it on a network (I'm guessing no). If it's < Win 2000 then you'll have a hard time doing it.

If you're > win 2000 then check if you have an NTFS drive (my computer > right click on [Drive name] > properties > File system.) if you don't then convert it (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer managment > storage > disk managment > right click on the drive letter and click format > ntfs it doesn't delete the data, but back up anyway)

Then create 2 (or whatever) user accounts: 1 admin 1 limited user. put all the private documents in the admins my documents, right click on the my docs folder and go to security, set up the permissions in a way that stops the other users accessing it.

Bingo - don't give anyone the admin account password unless they need it.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
...er...yeah.

or you could do that.. wink

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Or hide in the cupboard with a camera and a bat. When you seen the security use the comp you jump out, take a picture and, if neccesary, score a home run with their knee caps biggrin (only use the third option if you don't like them and happen to know the local police force very well).

Or the other less computery and not so violent option that doesn't involve sitting in a cupboard all night would be to setup a hidden cctv camera and video recorder.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

...er...yeah.

or you could do that.. wink

Well, we were all thinking it, right?

right?

confused

biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm.. to me.. it seems a really long winded, technical approach for people who I assume dont have much computer experience. Especially when it comes to setting up new accounts and enabling read/write access permissions.

If their computer is on a network, then there will be a log of when that computer would have been assigned an IP address no? Can the network administrator not simply check the logs?

If the computer isnt on a network, then you will pretty much have full access to it. Theres a program that will record the exact time and date of when the computer loads windows. I noticed it on my dads computer when he was trying to stop me from using his computer.

I think that the easiest way of sorting this so the security cant get to them, is to create new windows user accounts, and put STRONG passwords on (and no password hints!- if you forget it, then the admin profile will be able to recover them).
Put the strongest password on the admin account and let only one person know the password. Instruct them to not give it to anyone.

Or you can just get in *really* early in the morning, smash the computer up, and blame it on the security guards to get them fired. biggrin

And on a sidenote: Surely it is common courtesy to warn the guards they are not allowed to do what they are doing. If they know you are on to them and will be watching them, it may be enough to stop them from snooping.

Anyway.... ubbangel

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Well, the admin account idea is what I said, with a bit of security added wink

I would (maybe wrongly) assume that a network = a network admin = someone who know about things like NTFS etc and wouldn't let private data get in to the wrong hands.

The admin account without the file leval permissions is pointless if someone really _wanted_ to get in they would find it really hard to.

Also, the idea of logging them doing something they shouldn't be seems a little flawed - if it's sensitive data then it shouldn't get in to anyones hands in the first place!

But yes, a polite reminder would be nice.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
I will hide in the cuboard! i have a *friend* with a really powerful bb gun, hes off to sea soon, so i could steal that!!

haha! i want paying, fiver a night... i will have accomodation - cuboard!

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
wonders why he ** friend? umm... strugz, why is ur brother a *friend* ??

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"a really powerful bb gun" - Mech biggrin

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yep o can do that!

this a is a hard one, but i have a couple of ideas, but ill be buggered if im breaking my posting on hop about techie soloutions, enough eggeks trying to solve this(And anyother problems) to dilute the answer down

will - talk to sym, i think he is on the right lines/

Step (el-nombrie)

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
can't you password files?

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The only thing you can do with NTFS is set w/r/wr permissions for folders - nothing else. If it were on another file system then you could - but it doesn't sound like you need to in this case.

My solution isn't hard at all, and I think it should be done in combination with other ideas posted (I like the idea of the webcam, but it's too reactive for me)