AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i was wondering what you guys beieve to be the best way to treat a burn. I have been playing with fire for many years now and have never really gotton anything more than a light smudge. I have studied first aide and treatment recommendations and have even been to hospitals and spoken with emt's and doctors on the subject.EVERYONE HAS HAD A DIFFERANT OPINION!! So I am asking you guys out there that may have some experiance. My daughter recently burned her hands while in the care of her sitter!! She had second and third degree burns.It was a traumatic experiance to me as i believe the body should be left to do what it does... heal itself, with little intervention from some nasty New Orleans hospital...They made it worse, mainly because there was alot of people in one room with many varied opinions.They even gave her a LARGE DOSE of ketamine, it was horrible. I have helped my friends who have burned themselves in the past.We always allowed it to breath, kept it clean and treated the skin with aloe or a salve to keep it moist while healing.I am really curious to hear about your burn treatment stories...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I have never burned myself while playing with fire but I have burned myself on other occasions. I burned my hand quite badly with boiling water a while back and immediately ran my hand under running water to numb the skin and then kept an ice pack on it for most of the afternoon.Then I put a salve on it and left it uncovered.If it had blistered though I would have bandaged it and possible sought medical treatment.I hope your daughter is better now.Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
In the training I went through (advanced first aid and life saving) we were told not to put salve on it because it cut the burn off from air and doesn't allow for it to breathe. Aloe is wonderful and the fresher the better, apply often. Cold water. If you feel you need to put something on it..Lanacane is good. It is like Neosporine but has a mild a pain killer in it, good for kids who don't like to deal with pain.I hope your child heals soon.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My daughters fine now.. all healed with no scars... but i wanted to share what i was told to do for treatment of second and third degree burns... i'm still not sure i agree..however, First , surgically remove any outer burned skin,that means if there is a blister, remove the skin over the blister by cutting it away with a sterile implement..2)apply antibacterial salve, wrap it in gauze and keep covered, change wrappings twice a day, after about a week start letting it breathe for bits of time,just keep it clean, and rewrap..3)stretch all muscles that could be affected while healing so they don't contract as they heal and lose movement...as i have said i'm not sure if i agree with this method, but i must say, it looked odd,yet healed REALLY nicely with NO scarring on a third degree burn.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My burn salve recipe! Pass it on. IT WORKS!!! Mix in a pot over medium low heat about 10 parts NATURAL BEES WAX to 1 part OLIVE OIL Melt toghether DO NO BOIL! GO SLOW. TURN OFF HEAT Add ARNICA and CALENDULA in tintured alchohol base at about half of one of those little bottles each. about one half liquid ounce each This is the main base, you can add to it other tinctures like Usnea, TeaTree, Nuti-Biotic/ Grapefruit Seed Extract, Aloe Gel, whatever you feel but the main thing to consider is the consistency of the salve. Once cooled down you can add by reheating any proportin of Beeswax or Olive oil to make your preferred thickness. Especially nescecary when experimenting/adding other ingredients. I've healed 2nd degree burns with no scarring and soothed Sunburns, healed deep cuts, roadrash, and chaffing. I even use this on Herpes outbreaks to quiken healing time. AND it's agreat skin conditioner that I use after breathing fire and getting all dried out in the face. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MAKE AND DISTIBUTE COPPIES OF THIS REMEDY TO ALL FIRE PEEPS OUT THERE GOOD LUCk, I HOPE YOU'LL NEVER NEED TO USE IT LIKE I HAVE

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Aloe vera and more aloe vera. Aloe vera contains a cleansing agent within itself and soothes the heat from the burn quite quickly. I've burned myself (not badly) a number of times and have also used Savlon. But the thing that took away my scarring was aloe vera applied several times a day (dry, burnt skin really soaks it up quickly). I hate gauze. But I've noticed a lot of Western doctors seem to love it. I was hit by a car 7 years ago and I remember they kept putting gauze over the deep gash in my hip. And cause it wasn't allowed to cover itself over with scab - each time I replaced the dressing there would be a RIIIIIIIP! And it would be opened all over again with a lot of pain.Aloe vera was apparently the only plant that Adam took from the Garden of Eden cause of so many of its curative abilities. That's what 'they' say =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
what about a freezer burn? (or are you guys smarter than i am?) when i got mine on my palm i ran it under cold water for a long time and then kept ice on it for several days. it didnt blister but was really bright red for a week and a half or so. then later it all peeled off where the burn was and its just recently back to normal (i got it over spring break by holding ice and salt in my hand for 2-3 minutes)ive also been sunburned so badly that i had blisters all over my upper back and shoulders. and one so big on each shoulder (about .5 inch tall) that i couldnt wear a shirt and got to miss school smilebut happy to report no fire burns, however ill work on that and get back to ya smile

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Don't put geek,ointment or cream on them.V IMPORTANTpeace outgarbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 24 April 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I always use lavender essential oil on burns it reduces inflamation and speeds healing. smile

Are we nearly there yet?

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
AH.never thought of that,good tip.cheers.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe: